Home Ratings & Reviews

Kristoff Maduro

This is my first shot at a review, and I am a relative newbie to cigars, but this is one of my all time favorite smokes, and I would like to share my feelings with you. I do not have a camera so I will just have to explain what I see.

Description:

This particular cigar, comes in a Churchill size, I would wager 50 rg. The wrapper is dark, and oily in appearance. Something distinctive about these smokes is the pig-tail head and a shaggy footed wrapper. I get a "sugary" smell from a quick sniff.

Pre-Light:

I used my guillotine cutter and snipped off the a bit of the cap. After a pre-light draw, I had good airflow but not too tight. A residual salty-sweetness from the wrapper was left on my lips.

After I lit up, I was hit with an immediate and rich chocolate taste, paired with a mocca. No spice at all, just a rich and smoothy texture. As I exhaled, the smoke was velvety and I was getting a hint of "pine" through the nose.

I made it through the first quarter and the ash was firm and holding on about 1.5 inches. I am still getting a lot of the same chocolaty flavors, and the wrapper is still leaving a salty-sweetness on my lips. I find myself licking my lips because I enjoy the taste.

About half way through, my girlfriend comes out into the man cave and comments "That smells good...surprisingly." Refering to the aroma of the smoke. I take this as a very good sign because my girlfriend hates the pastime. But she is correct, the smoke is aromatic and not the least bit harsh.

I am typically not one that can pick out "woodsy" or "earthy" while I smoke, but the flavor of chocolate and coffee and mocca I do taste. I did not have any problems with the burn and it required no touch ups or relights. It took me about 1.45 hours to get through the smoke and I had to force myself not to smoke it any faster.

All in all a very consistently tasty cigar. Here in the near future I plan on purchasing a box of the maduro and trying the Criollo variant.

I will defiantly be adding more of these to my inventory and hope you guys enjoyed my take on this cigar.

Comments

• Poker_SlobPoker_Slob Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the input. These are on my list of stogies to try.
  • alienmisprintalienmisprint Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭
    I'm pretty excited about this one myself, one of the generous BoTL's sent me one a week or two ago, it is sitting in the humidor waiting for me now. You know, that very well may be the cigar I smoke tonight.
  • PuroFreakPuroFreak Posts: 4,131 ✭✭
    That is such a good cigar! Tried the new Kristoff Sumatra last week and it was awesome. The draw started a little tight, but it got better as it burned, but the flavor was great!
  • smbrinksmbrink Posts: 406
    My B&M is having a Kristoff event on Nov. 7th. Ill have to make sure I hit it up.
  • Great review. Agree with you completely, especially on the tasting notes. The one thing I'd add is that these are incredibly strong. They're not a cigar for someone who isn't used to strong or if you have anything important to do after they smoke it!
  • I tried the Maduro, and the Ligero. These are the best looking cigars you will ever see. I rested the Ligero about a month before I braved it. Great construction, and burn. I definitely reccomend you try them.
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    I got one from Brandon bbc20 in a Fun and Games package.. This thing is beautiful. I really want to smoke it but the cigar just looks so great I'd hate to burn it. I better find some more first.
  • PuroFreakPuroFreak Posts: 4,131 ✭✭
    The Sumatra that I tried had the most amazing looking and feeling wrapper to it! It was so smooth and silky and almost looked like a good piece of leather. Amazing looking cigar and it backed up the looks with flavor to match!
  • laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    PuroFreak:
    The Sumatra that I tried had the most amazing looking and feeling wrapper to it! It was so smooth and silky and almost looked like a good piece of leather. Amazing looking cigar and it backed up the looks with flavor to match!
    I've tried the Maduro. It was very tasty. Toasty and a nice touch of sweetness if I remember correctly.