Home Cigar 101

sharp increase in rh after putting cigars into humidor

I had an issue this past weekend with a newly seasoned humidor reading an rh at 80%, which eventually leveled out to 72. So, after 24 hours at 72% I put my cigars, still inside their cellophane wrappers, into the humidor. Now the rh reading is back up to 80%. Is it because I left the cigars inside of their cellophane wrappers, or do I need to remove them from the humidor and let it dry out some more. This is my first humidor, so I am currently using the stock hygrometer and humidifier that came with it. The hygrometer has been properly calibrated, I salt tested it twice just to make sure.

Comments

• Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    My guess is it would be the humidifier...you should get a two way humidifier such as bead&boveda packs. Some people use kl but I've never tried using that. First since your cigars take up space there is less air and with your humidifier it's easier for the rh to go up since it doesn't have a lot of space to make up. Keep the cellos on your cigars since it will slow the the high rh from getting to your cigars. I would take the cigars out put them in a ziplock freezer bag and buy some boveda 69 or 65's then place them in the humidor for a few days then add cigars. The humidifier that comes with humidors are crap and tend to grow mold...this is why they are free
    Money can't buy taste
  • D_FreshD_Fresh Posts: 610 ✭✭✭
    Lee.mcglynn:
    My guess is it would be the humidifier...you should get a two way humidifier such as bead&boveda packs. Some people use kl but I've never tried using that. First since your cigars take up space there is less air and with your humidifier it's easier for the rh to go up since it doesn't have a lot of space to make up. Keep the cellos on your cigars since it will slow the the high rh from getting to your cigars. I would take the cigars out put them in a ziplock freezer bag and buy some boveda 69 or 65's then place them in the humidor for a few days then add cigars. The humidifier that comes with humidors are crap and tend to grow mold...this is why they are free
    +1. These guys have way more knowledge than me but I can certainly vouch for the simplicity of the boveda packs. Highly recommend. Also, how big is your humidor and how many cigars do you have in it?
  • bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    It doesn't have anything to do with your cigars having the cello still on them. It sounds like either your cigars are over humidified or your humidifier is still giving off humidity or both. Take that foam puck out of there, you don't need any more humidification, obviously. Try to dry things out, including your foam puck. Only use that foam puck if you need to add humidification to the humidor while you wait for your beads to come in.
  • So, I have about 6 to 8 of these humidification 67% pillows that came with my cigars and which a friend also gave me, maybe throw those in after I remove the humidifier?
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    JohanTheMighty:
    So, I have about 6 to 8 of these humidification 67% pillows that came with my cigars and which a friend also gave me, maybe throw those in after I remove the humidifier?
    No. If you're still having readings that are too high you should not add the water pillows. Let it dry out a bit. I hope your hygrometer is accurate because everything you do needs to be based on those readings. Don't add moisture unless it asks for it. Right now it's telling you to back off. Right? So don't add water pillows. They will give off moisture. Probably too much. Maybe you should put all your cigars in a ziplock baggie with a hygrometer. That will tell you something important. Wether your cigars caused this latest spike or not. If your cigars are not too humid then it's still the humidor. If you're cigars are too humid in the bag then you know you need to let them air out until they are at a better RH. I will stress again,.....upgrade your hygrometers as soon as you can. I know you mentioned that one of your humis had a "through the front" hygrometer. Caliber makes a nice looking one that should fit that hole. Many of the small round digitals might fit that hole. But you could just leave the original hygrometer in the hole for looks and put your good digital in the humi with your cigars.
  • Okay, I did as you said, and in a couple weeks will upgrade my hardware. As for my hygrometer, it's right on. Two salt tests for them, they nailed 75.
    Read the kitty litter thread. I bought a bunch of KL a while back to add to my standard humi beads and it works great and MUCH cheaper.
  • I'm guessing kitty litter to lower humidity? How much should one use? I read the thread, appears crystals are what I need to use. I just don't want to put so much in that I end up drying things out too much.
    New ones should lower humidity or you could just let things air out, unless your air is always full of moisture like mine in Maine. Once the humidity gets to where you want it start to keep a closer eye on it. If it starts to dip, give the beads a misting with distilled water. If it dips some more, more misting. If it stays put do nothing. You get the point. Make sure you use the correct type(s) of kitty litter, you don't want any scented stuff in there. There is a thread on this as well.

Be patient, it takes a while to get a humi to settle into its stride. Once it does it is smooth sailing.
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    IMO I'd rather have low humidity them high. A lot of other countries tend to keep the rh at a lower point then we do. I've heard Asia will keep theirs as low as 55rh! For me 60-65 is just great! With higher rh mold will grow and that can ruin more then just your smokes and wallet
    Money can't buy taste
  • crzydimnd68crzydimnd68 Posts: 139 ✭✭
    Don't trust the salt test. Pick yourself up a Boveda calibration kit. I learned the hard way.
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Put you a shot glass of uncooked rice in your humi it'll start absorbing the extra humidity.