Home Non Cigar Related

Staind with the Mud of Khe Sanh - Review and Reflection

RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
A few of you were as lucky as I was to receive a copy of First Warrior's book. I'm going to do a review on the book, and the ramble for a bit. I started this book on Friday, and read the other half yesterday/night while on duty. I really enjoyed seeing things two ways; the view of a young man in an impossible situation and the view of a reflecting man. The things that the young man endured make me proud to call him a friend and really highlights the will and desire we have to live. You feel the highs of a successful mission and the lows of the horrors of war right along side the author...I can't say enough on how much of an emotional journey this book can take you. After I finished the book, it was about 0400. Nobody was at work yet, so I had plenty of time to contemplate what I'd read and ponder on my own war experiences.In the book, Corpsmen are spoken highly of...well, except for one and he deserved it. These days in the Army, Corpsmen are considered second rate medics because they have to go part of the Army medic school before they can deploy. It's not too serious, one of those branch VS branch jabs we all love. At the end of the day, I consider corpsmen my brothers and sisters just as much as other medics.The bond between a medic and a soldier is a very unique thing that I'm sad to say I doubt will be replicated when I'm working as an EMT. There is a trust and bond, born of blood and battles long past between them. I've never met anyone that treated me worse when they found out I was a "Doc", but I have for sure had people treat me better. Medics are usually exempt from mundane deployment tasks like guard duty and prolonged, heavy manual labor because a worn out medic helps no one... but we still want to help. Just last week in the field we began to unpack, and an E7 told me "Hey Doc, don't lift anything. If somebody wacks you with a pole we'll have to leave." I told that E7 that it made me feel like a POS to watch everyone else work and he said "You have a special skill set that we can not do without."In return for this, medics hold themselves to a higher standard. We have to know everything about all things medical, and if we don't we take it personal. Somebody yesterday asked me about having their tonsils removed. I gave them what little knowledge I had on the subject then proceeded to research it for an hour so that next time I'd be more knowledgeable. Does not matter what it is...missing an IV, taking too long to preform a procedure or losing a patient, we take it hard. It's our fault. Soldiers get hurt and they call us, because like that bond I mentioned earlier...we're supposed to help them.Anyways, not sure where I was going with all that. I can't repeat enough how much respect I have for Lone Wolf (First Warrior) and all the others that have served before me and will continue to serve after me for as long as men inhabit the Earth.

Comments

• RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    Also, I'm going to assume (haha) that corpsmen is the plural form of corpsman....if not my bad. If I meet the guy who rated the book one star on Amazon, I'm going to smack him.
  • jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am still waiting for new glasses so I can finish reading Roger's book and I think about reading it every day. Glad you got to it first....you have a whole different perspective then I will.
  • First_WarriorFirst_Warrior Posts: 3,140 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rain:
    Also, I'm going to assume (haha) that corpsmen is the plural form of corpsman....if not my bad. If I meet the guy who rated the book one star on Amazon, I'm going to smack him.
    thanks for the kind words about my book. The process of writing the narrative in the book allowed me to lighten the load i carry and I hope lighten the load of those who read the book. I desired to make the book a instrument of healing. Rain, you are right about the esteem that grunts hold for Docs. I saw many acts of compassion and bravery illustrated by our Docs. One of our corpsmen told me he didn't deserve that esteem and that he was just as scared as the rest of us. That corpsman lost his foot to a toe popper under fire going to the aid of a wounded Marine. I emailed that same corpsman yesterday to thank him for a book he sent me last week. 47 years and we still are in touch. Your grunts will remember you. Semper Fi, Rodger
    Rest up before you're next duty...I hear you all guard Heaven or some nonsense ;)
  • First_WarriorFirst_Warrior Posts: 3,140 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Army has a song, the Navy has a song, the Air Force has a song and the Marines have a hymn. Last refrain " if the Army or the Navy ever look on Heavens scenes they will find the streets are guarded by the United States Marines" Couldn't help myself i had to post it for the civilians.
  • BigshizzaBigshizza Posts: 15,644 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can't wait to read it. The attitude toward service people has changed a lot since I was a teenager. It was only a couple years after Vietnam and as a kid, it scared me to death to see the images on T.V. Now, looking back, I wish I had served to get the needed perspective. Much respect for those that joined or got drafted.
    First Warrior:
    The Army has a song, the Navy has a song, the Air Force has a song and the Marines have a hymn. Last refrain " if the Army or the Navy ever look on Heavens scenes they will find the streets are guarded by the United States Marines" Couldn't help myself i had to post it for the civilians.
    At least we are worth mentioning...poor Air Force. I don't care when it was written, no excuse :)
    X
    JD, Shizz...got around to this?