Home Non Cigar Related

Weapons Concealed

Any of you guys have one and if so what do you carry? Im in the process of getting my concealed permit and am looking for a small handgun to carry.
Two people with a common goal can accomplish many things. Two people with a common enemy can accomplish even more.

Comments

• First_WarriorFirst_Warrior Posts: 3,140 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've had a carry permit for ten years. I don't carry often but when I do I like to be legal. I have a Glock 23 and pocket Tarus .380 with reddot lazer sight. I practice with a pump pelletgun pistol (cheap to shoot) every couple of weeks. Sure hope I don't ever have to open up on some one. If you get a permit don't be lulled into being over confident. Evasion is the best way out of deadly situation.
  • Puff_DougiePuff_Dougie Posts: 4,599 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I carry a Glock 23, but I'd like to find something a bit more compact and easier to conceal.
    "When I have found intense pain relieved, a weary brain soothed, and calm, refreshing sleep obtained by a cigar, I have felt grateful to God, and have blessed His name." - Charles Haddon Spurgeon
  • firetruckguyfiretruckguy Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭
    Yes and a Springfield XDs .45, If you want a great compact carry gun, look into the XDs line.........
  • jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Go to a range. They usually have different types of pistols and revolvers for new shooters to try out. Take lessons and purchase a fire arm in a caliber that you are comfortable and confident with. Practice practice practice.

I have multiple state permits and I do not always carry. What I carry has a lot to do with where I am going, how I am dressed and what kind of weather we are having. And a good CC holster can make all the difference in the world, and should be chosen with equal care.

I have been shooting for over 45 years, taught safety courses, done "security" work and I have been a gunsmith. But, I do not consider myself to be an expert, and I still look for innovations and I practice when ever the opportunity arises. I have carried everything from a Beretta 25 auto up to a 50 AE. I am partial to a ramped barrel double stack Para Ordinance 45. What ever you get...after at least 500 rds take it to a good gunsmith and have it checked out, and that would be a good time to discuss any modifications that have crossed your mind, and they will. I almost always have found it warranted to change out the factory sights and if possible the bushing
  • ShadowInTheMoonShadowInTheMoon Posts: 507 ✭✭
    jd50ae:
    And a good CC holster can make all the difference in the world, and should be chosen with equal care.
    Since you are a bit more experienced what is your favorite. I realize that it would vary same with when you carry but what is your go to kind?
    Two people with a common goal can accomplish many things. Two people with a common enemy can accomplish even more.
  • Glock1975Glock1975 Posts: 5,152 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Try the Glock G30S, it's more compact and lighter and easier to conceal.
  • jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ShadowInTheMoon:
    jd50ae:
    And a good CC holster can make all the difference in the world, and should be chosen with equal care.
    Since you are a bit more experienced what is your favorite. I realize that it would vary same with when you carry but what is your go to kind?

I prefer form fitted (which isn't always possible), with a broad paddle. There are plenty of manufacturers out there but again you can try most at a good gun shop. Inside or outside the pants is a personal preference and has a lot to do with draw ease and comfort. Galco makes a great series of belt holsters and I do have one I wear on my left side when I carry the Beretta 9MM. I also have a speed holster from Galco for my Colt snub nose. For open carry around the property I use a soft western style holster for "The Judge", we have a lot of poison snakes.
  • rsherman24rsherman24 Posts: 6,735 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sig P220. Not too compact, but it leaves a hell of a hole
  • D_FreshD_Fresh Posts: 610 ✭✭✭
    HK P2000SK .40 or a Ruger LC380 depending on what I'm wearing. I have a couple IWB Foxx holsters that I really like
  • TexvetTexvet Posts: 39
    Shoot all kinds before you decide. Carry what you shoot well and are comfortable with. Bigger is not always better. A well placed .380 is far better than a 45 that misses.
  • matkn293matkn293 Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree with shoot first but later. I have an LC9 that is decent but not too hip on the long trigger pull. I want to try the Glock next and see how it feels.

Life is too short to smoke bad cigars!!!

Oh when the Blues, Oh when the Blues, Oh when the Blues go marching in!

• AVJimAVJim Posts: 449
    Kimber Ulta CDP II in 45. I practice with the same gun but in 9mm to save cash. Once you go 1911, you never want to go back. The are great carry guns IMHO as they are narrow. A little light on capacity as compared to the polymer double stack gun but that's why I carry the 45.
    "I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member"
  • lonewolf2011lonewolf2011 Posts: 503
    I have had my CCW for over 10 years and carry 90% of the time. My primary is a glock 23 and secondary is a S&W 340pd. Sometimes I carry both, 23 in IWB and the S&W in an ankle holster. During the week when I wear dress pants and a tucked shirt (harder to conceal) I carry the S&W in a pocket holster. If you go the pocket pistol route be sure to spend a lot of time on the range with defensive loads to get accustomed to the recoil. I love the little 340pd but it can be a little painful to shoot with defensive 357's for an extended period of time. For me, minimum caliber for defensive carry is .40 or 357 mag. I own other weapons but for CC the g23 is the ideal blend of power, capacity, and ease of carry.
  • jadeltjadelt Posts: 763 ✭✭
    JDs advice is on point. Go shoot a bunch out of whatever you think you might like. Try a bunch.

I prefer a S&W M&P Shield but everyone has their own needs. (I like thin) I also carry a Polish Radom P64 but its a bit heavy for me most of the time. It usually sits in the door pocket in my truck. For me, I find any of the double stacks (Glock, Springfield, etc.) a bit too wide for my carry comfort.
  • Bat-mastersonBat-masterson Posts: 62 ✭✭✭
    Me-Full size Wilson Combat 1911 Wife- S&W 360PD lightest 357 out there
  • Jetmech_63Jetmech_63 Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭
    When i got my CCW i started with a s&w 38 snubnose out of a desantis soft-tuck. Now my normal carry is a S&W M&P 9 Shield out of a Galco King-Tuk. It's one of the ugliest holsters you'll ever see but it's by far the the most comfortable i've used. And the Shield completley disappears in it no matter what i wear. I LOVE the trigger on the Shield, great CCW platform and very accurate and affordable.
  • curtiscr79curtiscr79 Posts: 859
    S&W M&P9c here in a hybrid holster. I put it on when I get dressed and take it off when I go to bed. Only time I don't have it is when I am at work or if I am going somewhere I can't legally carry.
  • avengethisavengethis Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have many carry guns. Sig p238 is my favorite for deep concealment, I love the Springfield XDs .45. I also have a full size XD in .40 and a Springfield 1911 .45.
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

"I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke ever last one of 'em." - Ron White