Home Non Cigar Related

Anybody an archer?

First_WarriorFirst_Warrior Posts: 3,140 ✭✭✭✭✭
I have bee building bows and arrows for some years now. First some arrows with bamboo shafts, image A roughed out handle on a glued up re/de bamboo backed Ipe. image Next the re/de up on my tiller tree. The bow came out at 62lbs at 29 inches of draw. image

Comments

• kingjk729kingjk729 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭
    Awesome work brother ..... I have a compound bow and just purchased new broad heads and carbon arrows. They are nice but nothing like yours.
  • wahooschockwahooschock Posts: 792 ✭✭✭
    Havent in a few years. But I used to use compound till I found my grandfather's long bow. Wont hunt with anything but a long bow for archery season. Man I miss hunting.
    I love my pack and a good community (cigars/Vape)
    "I'm at the point in my life where if it doesn't taste good,I'm not putting it in my mouth"
  • webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice looking shop.

Used to, long ago, almost in another life. Most difficult prey: salt water crocodile. Best shot ever: a wild chicken running through a bamboo thicket (big mistake -- had to chop my way through the bamboo to disentangle the chicken skewered on the arrow). Archery hero: Buntaro.

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• flowbeeflowbee Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭
    I still shoot an Old Bear recurve, I have a 20 yard alley set up in my backyard!! Nice work !!!!
  • CharlieHeisCharlieHeis Posts: 8,144 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very cool Rodger
  • First_WarriorFirst_Warrior Posts: 3,140 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i have probably made 50-60 bows in the past eight years. I'm moving away from the laminated bamboo backed bows towards the more primative solid wood "self" bows. I've got two black locust ones that I am working on now. Here is a laminated long bow on the left and a pignut hickory with steam bent recurves on the right. The long bow is 58# at 29" and the hickory is 55# at 29". Got to work on bows in the winter when there is low humidity because of wood heat in my studio. High humidity will cause the bow limbs to take a unwanted set as the wood is unsealed during the making. image
  • mmccartneydcmmccartneydc Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭
    Dang this is a cool thread Rodger! Beautiful work bro! I shoot a compound. Can't imagine how much harder it is to shoot a recurve. What kind of fps do you get out of those?
    mmccartneydc:
    Dang this is a cool thread Rodger! Beautiful work bro! I shoot a compound. Can't imagine how much harder it is to shoot a recurve. What kind of fps do you get out of those?
    Don't have a way of measuring fps but The bows can snap arrow right sharply at 25 yards. No sights on these beasts got to pick a small spot, look, hit your anchor and release.
    Here is a plains style quiver that I made out of elk, trade cloth, and tile beads. image Some of my bows image A shot of the draw on a red oak bow I made from a $3 Home Depot board. image
  • flowbeeflowbee Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭
    That a truly awesome bow!! Nice work!
  • When it comes to contests call me #bootsold
  • webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Okay that does it. Got to go check out your studio next time I ride to NC. Bringing money.
    “It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

Come on, I'm 15 minutes from the Blue Ridge Parkway Grandfather Mountain exit. Be nice to share a stogie and do some shootin.
  • mmccartneydcmmccartneydc Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭
    Very cool, I would love to get something like this to bow fish with. I'd have to be able to rig a reel on it some how though. What ya think, is it possible?
    Dr.M, Pm To you.
  • jbohonjbohon Posts: 980 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Absolutely amazing Rodger! Your work never ceases to amaze me.

It's funny that you brought this up because I've been looking at picking archery up as a new hobby. I am always looking for a new skill and this one fascinates me. There's an archery shop/ range about 20 minutes from home and I was thinking about heading out there this week to check it out.

“I come in peace. I didn’t bring artillery. But I’m pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you f@$# with me, I’ll kill you all.” -Gen. James Mattis, USMC
  • Bad_MonkeyBad_Monkey Posts: 110
    I've been shooting for about 26 or27 years now. Strictly European traditional, as in 14th century English longbow. Right now I'm shooting a 95 lb yew stick with sewn fletchings/self-nocked arrows tipped with hand-made bodkin points. Haven't been hunting since I moved to Washington, but used to take whitetail deer, feral hog, and the occasional turkey back in Ohio. that's a lot of nice looking bows hanging up in the OP's pics....
  • wahooschockwahooschock Posts: 792 ✭✭✭
    Bad Monkey:
    I've been shooting for about 26 or27 years now. Strictly European traditional, as in 14th century English longbow. Right now I'm shooting a 95 lb yew stick with sewn fletchings/self-nocked arrows tipped with hand-made bodkin points. Haven't been hunting since I moved to Washington, but used to take whitetail deer, feral hog, and the occasional turkey back in Ohio. that's a lot of nice looking bows hanging up in the OP's pics....
    Washington is supposed to be good hunting. Have fun when ya get started.
    I love my pack and a good community (cigars/Vape)
    "I'm at the point in my life where if it doesn't taste good,I'm not putting it in my mouth"
    Bad Monkey:
    I've never worked with yew and I've never built a war bow. Maybe i need to start looking at them a little harder. Jay i find shooting a nice way of relaxing. I'll PM you the company that I buy most of my supplies from.
  • Bad_MonkeyBad_Monkey Posts: 110
    I'll confess that I started with the stronger bows due to a testosterone poisoning problem I had when I was younger. A friend and I got into a pecker contest with Mary Rose style bows and man sized targets at 100 to 200 yards. Good fun!