Home Cigar 101

Cigar inside a pipe?

Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
I don't want to smoke a pipe necessarily but what if I wanted to smoke a short, cut section of cigar in a pipe? I've been thinking about this recently when the question of short winter smokes came up and assuming you could find a pipe with a long/deep tapered bowl that would fit many of the ring gauge cigars you happen to want to smoke, you could have a short smoke of your favorite cigar,....... in a pipe. Would that be crazy?

Comments

• Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some pipe smokers do this. I havent tried, but it'd work. I would think smoking a cigar nub in a pipe isn't a whole lot different than a flake or twist style tobacco, in terms of packing it.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've done it, meh. Pilgrimtex seemed to like it. Wasted cigar, to me.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gray4lines:
    I would think smoking a cigar nub in a pipe isn't a whole lot different than a flake or twist style tobacco, in terms of packing it.
    never tried it....
    but my father-in-law has told me stories of how his dad would do this all the time .... smoke the cigar down to the nub then put the nub in a pipe and finish it.

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• J.S.J.S. Posts: 754
    Like others have said, yes you can do this. No, I don't personally. Thank about the nub. All the tar and smoke and other stuff that has been filtered through it.
  • youngryan216youngryan216 Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭
    I bet this would work, but what would the taste differences be?
    ISO Ramrod and Ron Mexico
  • J.S.J.S. Posts: 754
    youngryan216:
    The pipe itself will not change the flavor. So if you like the nub it should work fine. I know the first few years I was smoking cigars I actually liked the end better than the beginning and smoking in a pipe might have been enjoyable then. However, as your taste develops you may find, as I did, that it is okay to leave a little as the profile of the smoke will change. Try it. You might like it. If not pick up some pipe tobacco and give it a try. A good start for the cigar smoker would be G&H's Kendal KY IMO.
  • dr_frankenstein56dr_frankenstein56 Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭
    J.S.:
    youngryan216:
    The pipe itself will not change the flavor. So if you like the nub it should work fine. I know the first few years I was smoking cigars I actually liked the end better than the beginning and smoking in a pipe might have been enjoyable then. However, as your taste develops you may find, as I did, that it is okay to leave a little as the profile of the smoke will change. Try it. You might like it. If not pick up some pipe tobacco and give it a try. A good start for the cigar smoker would be G&H's Kendal KY IMO.
    that Kendal Kentucky makes an awesome cigarette too. Burns real nice as a shag.

Aj
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I tried it. I clipped off about 1 & 1/2 inches of a rYj Maduro. I also lit up the cigar after I clipped it so I could compare side by side. The pipe with the short section burned really well. The draw was super loose though. The flavor was ok but compared to the cigar itself it didn't quite measure up. (Pic is at the fotomat.) I'll try it again. I'm not ready to give up yet.

OK, Finally got the pic ready.

• Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    Uuuummmmmm where do you think "put that in your pipe and smoke it" came from?! Yes this was a much practiced thing back in the old days.
    Money can't buy taste
    Lee.mcglynn:
    Uuuummmmmm where do you think "put that in your pipe and smoke it" came from?! Yes this was a much practiced thing back in the old days.
    They smoked a lot of stuff in pipes back in the old days. (Opium?) Do you have any specific reference? Or is that just your best guess?
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    Bob Luken:
    Lee.mcglynn:
    They smoked a lot of stuff in pipes back in the old days. (Opium?) Do you have any specific reference? Or is that just your best guess?
    no specific reference besides word of mouth...but I do believe it has to do with old timers with cigars blowing up on them since there was really no such thing as humidors back then so to save the tobacco they would put it in a pipe
    Money can't buy taste
  • MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
    Lee.mcglynn:
    Bob Luken:
    Lee.mcglynn:
    no specific reference besides word of mouth...but I do believe it has to do with old timers with cigars blowing up on them since there was really no such thing as humidors back then so to save the tobacco they would put it in a pipe
    Well, this idea captivated me enough to make it in my last review, whether or not it's true!
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
  • jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Doesn't this belong in the pipe section? :)
    jd50ae:
    Doesn't this belong in the pipe section? :)
    Both! Haha!
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    We'll, you guys got me curious so I had to try it. I've got 3 pipes. One is too small a bore but the other two will take a 50rg handily. Here's the remains of the DPG Blue toro I was/am smoking today:

photo D3233B3C-3CBA-4B37-8110-AF2E4DF8F0C5.jpg

The lighting isn't too good for a selfie but you get the idea.....

The draw is better with this pipe than with the straight one. Go figure..... ??