Home Cigar 101

What companies freeze before shipping?

Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
I'm aware la aurora and padron freeze the cigars after being rolled but what other companies do this? Also which brands are more likely to get beetles...I know one which is prone to them but anyone else know?
Money can't buy taste

Comments

• kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    most dont freeze post roll.
    most will fumigate the leaves.
    while at the Plasencia factory, i saw a big chest freezer in one of the rolling rooms. they got a deep freeze for 4 hours before the roll. (-20 if i am not mistaken). that long enough to kill beetles in all stages of their life, eggs included.

even if every factory froze at some point before shipping, there is always a chance for beetles. they are such a prolific insect that the best way to prevent them is to take it upon yourself to freeze what you get in.
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    I was afraid that would be the answer...I don't really like freezing but try to keep everything at 60-65 degrees. I also know there are some companies that are prone to beetles such as say greycliff.
    Money can't buy taste
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lee.mcglynn:
    ......I also know there are some companies that are prone to beetles such as say greycliff.

Yep. You can say that again....
  • catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    Habanos SA freezes everything 5 days. For plasencia, depends on the company as they can request to be frozen, same with Casa. I know one blender that freezes 30, then ages 90. Most Nc do not really say if they do or not. All the beetles I have gotten have been from NC.