Home Non Cigar Related

FOX Defends Bill Maher

jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
'The Five' Defends Maher from ‘Intolerant’ Berkeley Students: ‘Anti-Free Speech’

By: Josh Feldman (Mediaite)

Bill Maher‘s invitation to speak at Berkeley invited outcry from students over his supposedly “bigoted” views on the Islamic faith and calls for him to be disinvited. The hosts of Fox’s The Five came to Maher’s defense today against liberal students who just want to create an “echo chamber” of views they agree with.

Bob Beckel said these students ought to “keep their mouths shut” and let Maher speak. Eric Bolling mocked the supposed inclusiveness of the left when they have this very “anti-free speech” attitude when it comes to hearing from people they disagree with.

Read the full story at Mediaite?

Comments

• The3StogiesThe3Stogies Posts: 2,652 ✭✭✭✭
    There's been a few dis-invitations lately but getting dissed from Berkeley and Bill Maher too boot, Codi Rice I could understand. This was over what he said about Muslims wasn't it, dangerous ground there, but he made a good point. Was he the one that called Palin the c-word? He is funny as hell, I would like to hear him speak. Like to sit with Uncle Bob Beckel and smoke a cigar with him too, bet he has some stories to tell.
  • webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Idealism is incensed by empiricism.
    “It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    webmost:

The older I get, the more of that I see (hear).
  • webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jd50ae:
    webmost:

The older I get, the more of that I see (hear).
    Shoot the messenger!
    “It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• SleevePlzSleevePlz Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭✭
    jd50ae:
    Bob Beckel said these students ought to “keep their mouths shut”
    No one else sees the free speech irony here???
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
    SleevePlz:
    jd50ae:
    Bob Beckel said these students ought to “keep their mouths shut”
    No one else sees the free speech irony here???

That's kinda the point of the article. Glad to see beckel agree though. Of course beckel's thoughts about the subject are even more radical then maher's and I don't expect he will even get an invitation to be taken away..
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jd50ae:
    'The Five' Defends Maher from ‘Intolerant’ Berkeley Students: ‘Anti-Free Speech’

Bill Maher‘s invitation to speak at Berkeley invited outcry from students over his supposedly “bigoted” views on the Islamic faith and calls for him to be disinvited.

What's interesting, to me, is the choice of his "bigoted" views on the Islamic faith being chosen as a reason. The guy's an atheist. He makes fun of all organized religions, pretty much even-handedly. Of course, he is a Jewish descendant, perhaps the Berkeley students are merely anti-semitic?

Now there's a touch of irony, no?
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
    Amos Umwhat:
    jd50ae:

Bill Maher‘s invitation to speak at Berkeley invited outcry from students over his supposedly “bigoted” views on the Islamic faith and calls for him to be disinvited.

What's interesting, to me, is the choice of his "bigoted" views on the Islamic faith being chosen as a reason. The guy's an atheist. He makes fun of all organized religions, pretty much even-handedly. Of course, he is a Jewish descendant, perhaps the Berkeley students are merely anti-semitic?

Now there's a touch of irony, no?

The whole thing is irony rich and hypocrisy colored. And it goes way over the heads of so many.
  • The3StogiesThe3Stogies Posts: 2,652 ✭✭✭✭
    Wasn't the petition started by an Islamic group at the college?