Home General Discussion

1st Official Forum Cigar Art Contest - CANCELLED

HaysHays Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭
Ok Gentleman (and occasional ladies),

Consider this the official start of the 1st Forum Cigar Art Contest, one of many to come I'm sure. Rules are as follows:

Must be a forum member in good standing - Reputation within the Good Traders & Stand Up Folks thread
Must be an original piece of art belonging to you.
$5 Entry Cost.
10 Entries per contest - first 10 people to PM me for more information are the entrants.

Now I'm sure you're wondering what the prize is...right? Well thanks to our favorite Jeff Jackson, and in honor of the recent passing of Graycliff creator Avelino Lara....

The Prize Will Be A 5 Pack of Graycliff 1666 Presidentes!

Submissions will be accepted until midnight the evening of Friday, Nov. 6. Voting will begin Monday, Nov. 9, and will go until Friday, Nov. 13. Official winner will be announced Saturday, Nov. 14, and the prize will be shipped out Monday, Nov. 16.

¨The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the sea¨ - Isak Dinesen

¨Only two people walk around in this world beardless - boys and women - and I am neither one.¨

Comments

• smbrinksmbrink Posts: 406
    Ohh boy Im so excited (and I just cant hide it!!)
  • manjimanji Posts: 28
    Hey Hays, Is photography considered art? I haven't been here long. I think I am good standing?
  • HaysHays Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭
    manji:
    Hey Hays, Is photography considered art? I haven't been here long. I think I am good standing?
    Yes Manji - photography is considered art. Photography, drawings, sculpture...anything artistic and cigar-related, that can be represented online in a vote, will be allowed for entry.

In terms of your good standing however - do you have a reputation within the Good Traders and Stand Up Folks thread? I will amend my earlier details to include this specification.

¨Only two people walk around in this world beardless - boys and women - and I am neither one.¨
  • laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    Hays:
    manji:
    Yes Manji - photography is considered art. Photography, drawings, sculpture...anything artistic and cigar-related, that can be represented online in a vote, will be allowed for entry.

In terms of your good standing however - do you have a reputation within the Good Traders and Stand Up Folks thread? I will amend my earlier details to include this specification.
    Is that a needed requirement for the purpose of this contest?
    Anyone who has pre-paid for an entrant has already met the requirements for the contest.
    I just wonder what is to be gained from adding this regulation. We are not in danger of being taken advantage of in any way I can determine, if all entrants are pre-paid. Just my opinion on it.
    laker1963:
    Hays:
    manji:

Anyone who has pre-paid for an entrant has already met the requirements for the contest.
    I just wonder what is to be gained from adding this regulation. We are not in danger of being taken advantage of in any way I can determine, if all entrants are pre-paid. Just my opinion on it.
    Laker: I appreciate your contribution, and I will think more about it. The way I looked at formulating the rules was to reference what happened with CO's contest - there was some questionable behavior going on with the voting. Thing is, anybody and everybody could enter his contest.
    Despite any of my best efforts, I'm sure it will still be possible to cheat the system, and so I would like to keep it to the people we know. If I find somebody cheating (which I hope not to), the contest is canceled and everybody gets their money back. So basically, by keeping it to those who have an established reputation here, each entrant has a vested interest (in maintaining their reputation) to keep the voting legitimate. As the person managing the contest, and the one everybody will be trusting with their entry fees, I feel that this is a fair strategy to ensure fairness to all entrants.
    If there is significant disagreement with my viewpoints and these rules, then I will close the contest. As I said in my concept thread - I'm not out to make money or cause any offense. My goals in this contest are simply to: A) Have fun, and B) Further the amount of cigar art in the world.

No problem. I'll just sit this one out. Good luck. Sounds like fun.
  • laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    Hays:
    laker1963:
    Hays:
    manji:

Laker: I appreciate your contribution, and I will think more about it. The way I looked at formulating the rules was to reference what happened with CO's contest - there was some questionable behavior going on with the voting. Thing is, anybody and everybody could enter his contest.
    Despite any of my best efforts, I'm sure it will still be possible to cheat the system, and so I would like to keep it to the people we know. If I find somebody cheating (which I hope not to), the contest is canceled and everybody gets their money back. So basically, by keeping it to those who have an established reputation here, each entrant has a vested interest (in maintaining their reputation) to keep the voting legitimate. As the person managing the contest, and the one everybody will be trusting with their entry fees, I feel that this is a fair strategy to ensure fairness to all entrants.
    If there is significant disagreement with my viewpoints and these rules, then I will close the contest. As I said in my concept thread - I'm not out to make money or cause any offense. My goals in this contest are simply to: A) Have fun, and B) Further the amount of cigar art in the world.
    OK thanks.
  • alienmisprintalienmisprint Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭
    Damn, I am swamped with work at the shop this weekend, I really wanted to enter this too. I didn't realize you were gonna do it this quick, lol. Hopefully there will be another one of these?
    alienmisprint:
    Damn, I am swamped with work at the shop this weekend, I really wanted to enter this too. I didn't realize you were gonna do it this quick, lol. Hopefully there will be another one of these?
    Well you're right - I did just jump right on the idea. If I don't get enough entries (right now there's all of 0), however, I will have to extend the entry period - so keep that in mind too. Either way, yes - I am hoping to make this an ongoing thing.

Laker - pm for ya brother.

• kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    im gunna have to not take part in this (lack of time) but i cant wait to see some of the art to come out of this.
    Gentleman - in light of my recognition that I did indeed jump on this idea without much notice, I am extending the submission deadline until next Friday. Hopefully this will give everybody who wishes to enter the opportunity to put everything in order.. The changes have been detailed in the original post.

• KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    Hey Hays...u got a PM

"Long ashes my friends."

• clearlysuspectclearlysuspect Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭✭
    pm for you Hayes
    clearlysuspect:
    pm for you Hayes
    Responded, good sir. No ''e'' in my name, by the way ;-)

Hays:
    clearlysuspect:
    pm for you Hayes
    Responded, good sir. No ''e'' in my name, by the way ;-)
    No E in your name but there's $ in your paypal. :-p
    K fellas so we're at Tuesday, and I have all of 2 entrants (Phil...I haven't actually received any artwork from you yet, but I got your PayPal...???)

Anybody else interested?

It's Thursday, and I still only have two entrants. It's really starting to look like I'm going to have to cancel the contest. Guess there wasn't as much support for it as I thought. I'll give it till the actual submission deadline, but at this point I'm really not confident. Sorry to the guys who've already submitted - once the deadline passes and if I have to cancel, I'll set PayPal to refund your money immediately.

• shamrockedshamrocked Posts: 285
    maybe we should set it for holiday break - might find that people either have more (or less) time during winter vacation.
    shamrocked:
    maybe we should set it for holiday break - might find that people either have more (or less) time during winter vacation.
    Well we'll see how things pan out. Maybe I'll come back to this idea at a later date...or maybe we'll just set it up as a game.

Hays:
    shamrocked:
    Well we'll see how things pan out. Maybe I'll come back to this idea at a later date...or maybe we'll just set it up as a game.
    This sucks, I was hoping for more too. As an participant in the CO contest, I thought this idea would have caught on, but since you do have 2 pics, what are the odds on going ahead and setting up the contest?? Maybe it will gain more support that way.

"Long ashes my friends."

• 4bob44bob4 Posts: 212
    Quick comment with regards to cheating in the voting. I think anyone should be able to enter the contest (good standing or not new members or old) as long as they pay the entry fee. I think the requirement should be on who can vote (i.e. must have 20 posts to be able to vote) to prevent people from setting up 1,000 accounts and voting for themselves over and over. I see no problem with many entering the contest only with people joining just to vote and leave.
    4bob4:
    Quick comment with regards to cheating in the voting. I think anyone should be able to enter the contest (good standing or not new members or old) as long as they pay the entry fee. I think the requirement should be on who can vote (i.e. must have 20 posts to be able to vote) to prevent people from setting up 1,000 accounts and voting for themselves over and over. I see no problem with many entering the contest only with people joining just to vote and leave.
    I'd be ok with that.

"Long ashes my friends."

Krieg:
    4bob4:
    I'd be ok with that.
    Ok then. In the interest of continuing the contest, it is open to all members who wish to pay the entry fee. Submissions will be accepted until Sunday evening at midnight. Pictures will be displayed in a separate thread for voting purposes, and all votes must be submitted via PM by members with minimum of 25 posts.

Hays:
    Krieg:
    4bob4:
    I'd be ok with that.
    Ok then. In the interest of continuing the contest, it is open to all members who wish to pay the entry fee. Submissions will be accepted until Sunday evening at midnight. Pictures will be displayed in a separate thread for voting purposes, and all votes must be submitted via PM by members with minimum of 25 posts.
    Should we move the deadline up a little since we changed the entry requirements?

"Long ashes my friends."

• jsnakejsnake Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am just not artsy but I do enjoy cigar art.
    Krieg:
    Hays:
    Krieg:
    4bob4:
    I'd be ok with that.
    Should we move the deadline up a little since we changed the entry requirements?
    It WAS moved...to Sunday evening. If anybody else actually expressed any interest and wanted more time I'm fine with moving it up. At this point it's just starting to (unfortunately) seem like a waste of time.

Ok, the contest has been canceled. Sorry to Krieg and ClearlySuspect - I expected more entrants guys. I set PayPal to refund your entry fee...let me know if you don't get it.

Got the refund Hays. Thanks for trying brother.
    Hays:
    Ok, the contest has been canceled. Sorry to Krieg and ClearlySuspect - I expected more entrants guys. I set PayPal to refund your entry fee...let me know if you don't get it.
    Damn this sucks, thanks to Hays for giving it a try.

"Long ashes my friends."

Well that's too bad. I was looking forward to seeing what everyone came up with. I will keep an eye out for new contests.