Home Cigar 101

Sticks in a cold car - traveling with cigars

jadeltjadelt Posts: 763 ✭✭
OK so it finally got to be winter here........ 5 degrees this morning and below zero over night tonight. I will be traveling with my sticks and wanted to find out what the cold will do to them if I put them in the back of my pickup with topper on it. Yeah it will be basically the same temp as outside and might get to below zero. Yes I can put them in the cab with me but it will be going from zero to 70 and back and we will be spending the night at different places. Is it OK to leave them in the truck or do I need to warm it up first, keep them in the cab and them move them indoors when we stop? How sensitive are they to cold? (at least I wont have to worry about beetles?) Thanks

Comments

• RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    Can't give you an answer, but I always recall Kuzi saying that our cigars are not as fragile as we treat them
  • allsmokedupallsmokedup Posts: 751 ✭✭
    Your cigars will be fine unless you plan on leaving them out for longer than a few days. People freeze them for a day or longer to kill beetles. Just watch out for thermal expansion if they're suddenly exposed to very warm temps after being real cold. Some of the more fragile wrappers may crack.
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jadelt:
    OK so it finally got to be winter here........ 5 degrees this morning and below zero over night tonight. I will be traveling with my sticks and wanted to find out what the cold will do to them if I put them in the back of my pickup with topper on it. Yeah it will be basically the same temp as outside and might get to below zero. Yes I can put them in the cab with me but it will be going from zero to 70 and back and we will be spending the night at different places. Is it OK to leave them in the truck or do I need to warm it up first, keep them in the cab and them move them indoors when we stop? How sensitive are they to cold? (at least I wont have to worry about beetles?) Thanks
    I assume you have a Herfador. Yes, no? If it was me, (assuming you are using a herfador,) I'd keep the herfador in the cab away from the heating vents, and also wrap it in a blanket or place it inside a small cooler to lessen the effects of the temperature changes. And if I was leaving the truck for more than a few hours I'd take them inside with me. Maybe overkill but I want them ready to smoke at any time, and if I knew they were currently at zero degrees I'd hesitate to break them out and light them up immediately.
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bob Luken:
    jadelt:
    I assume you have a Herfador. Yes, no? If it was me, (assuming you are using a herfador,) I'd keep the herfador in the cab away from the heating vents, and also wrap it in a blanket or place it inside a small cooler to lessen the effects of the temperature changes. And if I was leaving the truck for more than a few hours I'd take them inside with me. Maybe overkill but I want them ready to smoke at any time, and if I knew they were currently at zero degrees I'd hesitate to break them out and light them up immediately.
    This is exactly what I do. Though Bob & I are in TN, it gets cold, but not Montana cold.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • jadeltjadelt Posts: 763 ✭✭
    Amos Umwhat:
    Bob Luken:
    jadelt:
    This is exactly what I do. Though Bob & I are in TN, it gets cold, but not Montana cold.
    I have a 10 count Herfador and I will use that for my ready stash for the trip. I also have a couple of 25 - 40 count humidors that I will use to pack my winter supply of sticks into. The Herfador will stay in the truck with me but I was wondering about the others. I will try to fit them inside with me but worst case I will wrap them in a blanket (or sleeping bag) and keep them in the back of the truck.

Thanks