Home Cigar 101

Beads,crystal and litter

Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
Well the frugal people are all about kl...personally I'm against it! But here is what I've learned. Beads and most crystals have been saturated and will give off rg better then kl. but also they can at least aome will take in excess humidity. Kl on the othe hand stays the way it's packaged. It's meant to take in piss and that's it! Yeah it will release humidity but really what over saturated object won't?! Yes it will absorb humidity but rice does to! So if rice is at 67rh I guess it's better then beads since I can get pounds of it for well cheap!! I really can't stand people that are for kl since they say I spray once a week or they need to be baked. Really if you need to spray more then once a month your well just trying to humidify if your not spraying once a month your neglecting your cigars! Yeah I know I will get some hate but the people with thousands put into cigars will truly tell you why cheap out on them ?!
Money can't buy taste

Comments

• catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    I haven't ever sprayed the kl in my wineador...
  • bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    me either (in my coolers).
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    Perfect! Now the question is that is it because you have packed your coolers/what ever you use with pounds of kl?! If so could this be because you made your humi the same as a container of kl?! And if not how much kl are you running??
    Money can't buy taste
    Oh and really you have never sprayed the kl?! So this means it's magic and only humidifies with no water needed?? That is like saying the earth has no fresh water problem as long as kl is around. Beads,crystals and boveda will need to have water at some point but I guess kl just doesn't?
    Money can't buy taste
  • bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    I've got a quart mason jar of beads and one of kl plus a pint of beads and a pint of kl in my big cooler. Before I only had the beads and it couldn't keep my rh low all the time. Maine is very moist. I almost never spray my beads. They are there to absorb and keep things even keeled. Kl doubled my volume of beads which helped a lot I'm sure but ever since they have been in there my cooler has been rock solid at 67. I wouldn't mind getting it a little lower but considering the moisture I have in the air all the time I'll take a steady 67 all day long. I probably could have got the same effect with more beads but at the price of kl why not use it? I'm happy.
    Ok well you mix that's fine in my book. But here's another question...what rh is the kl?! Can you garentee that all the kl is that rh? If not then how are the same material made so different? Why would it not be the same for every bottle or jar since it is the same medium
    Money can't buy taste
    Lee.mcglynn:
    Oh and really you have never sprayed the kl?! So this means it's magic and only humidifies with no water needed?? That is like saying the earth has no fresh water problem as long as kl is around. Beads,crystals and boveda will need to have water at some point but I guess kl just doesn't?
    Nope, I assume the rh of the cigars and boxes keep it stable. It's impossible to spray...I have it in a tyvek bag. Never been sprayed in probably two years I think.
    In my humidors with it, I would say I spray it no more then beads or gel. Once every two months or so.
    As said though what if you get a jar that is say 68 but another is say 65. How is it possible if it is two way?!
    Money can't buy taste
    My 65rh beads always ran high after I sprayed them lol... I don't think any are accurate really, yet are sold as such. For KL, I just put it in, and my humis stay around 65. When they hit 60, I spray them. That simple... One $12 investment keeps one cooler, a wineador, two 150's, a 300/400, and a 75 humidified.
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lee.mcglynn:
    Well the frugal people are all about kl...personally I'm against it! But here is what I've learned. Beads and most crystals have been saturated and will give off rg better then kl. but also they can at least aome will take in excess humidity. Kl on the othe hand stays the way it's packaged. It's meant to take in piss and that's it! Yeah it will release humidity but really what over saturated object won't?! Yes it will absorb humidity but rice does to! So if rice is at 67rh I guess it's better then beads since I can get pounds of it for well cheap!! I really can't stand people that are for kl since they say I spray once a week or they need to be baked. Really if you need to spray more then once a month your well just trying to humidify if your not spraying once a month your neglecting your cigars! Yeah I know I will get some hate but the people with thousands put into cigars will truly tell you why cheap out on them ?!
    Another rant? It's been a while since you bashed Kitty Litter but, here we are again. You can't stand people that are for kitty litter? Really? Come on man. You seem so angry over it. Have you ever used it? I'm guessing no. If not, how can you claim it works so poorly? Where are you getting your facts?

Lee.mcglynn:
    Yeah I know I will get some hate....
    I won't hate on you for saying any of this but I will challenge your facts if you have any. So far, all I see is opinion. To me, it seems like you're the one doing the hating.
    Lee.mcglynn:
    ...but the people with thousands put into cigars will truly tell you why cheap out on them ?!
    I have put thousands of $ into cigars and that doesn't make me, or anyone else, an expert or an aficionado but, KL works well for me and plenty of others. And the KL folks don't hate Boveda or beads or gel. We do hate green foam though. We all can hate that. Right?
    I'm totally bombing you with kitty litter sticks now lee lol
  • KingoftheCoveKingoftheCove Posts: 937 ✭✭✭
    It's funny, on every cigar Forum I belong to, there are one or three KL "haters", who regularly bash KL, and KL users.

Then there's silent majority of KL users who say pretty much nothing, other than "it works for me."
    It just cracks me up.
    I'd wager that there are 10 times as many KL users as there are users of all other humidification media combined.

There's plenty of research supporting both sides.
    I did my OWN research. and my findings were that:
    1) KL (the stuff I bought anyway) is indeed 2-way
    2) My KL came out of the bag at about 68rh............some people reported as low as 65rh........some as high as 70rh for the stuff I bought. This doesn't mean much, as the length of the test, the accuracy of each person's hygro, and other factors makes comparing those values somewhat dubious...........except for the fact that the range is "good" for lack of a better term. It's not like some report 45rh, and others 75rh.

I've also learned another thing: It's impossible to try and have a discussion about the science of silica with a KL basher.........so I quit doing that a while back....................I just say "it works for me"................

• jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    KingoftheCove:
    It's funny, on every cigar Forum I belong to, there are one or three KL "haters", who regularly bash KL, and KL users.

Then there's silent majority of KL users who say pretty much nothing, other than "it works for me."
    It just cracks me up.
    I'd wager that there are 10 times as many KL users as there are users of all other humidification media combined.

There's plenty of research supporting both sides.
    I did my OWN research. and my findings were that:
    1) KL (the stuff I bought anyway) is indeed 2-way
    2) My KL came out of the bag at about 68rh............some people reported as low as 65rh........some as high as 70rh for the stuff I bought. This doesn't mean much, as the length of the test, the accuracy of each person's hygro, and other factors makes comparing those values somewhat dubious...........except for the fact that the range is "good" for lack of a better term. It's not like some report 45rh, and others 75rh.

I've also learned another thing: It's impossible to try and have a discussion about the science of silica with a KL basher.........so I quit doing that a while back....................I just say "it works for me"................

Horst!! You rascal, you. How's things wit youse?? You converted me to a KL user and guess what?? It works for me.... ?? LMAO
  • RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    I use beads and kl...they both work. I suppose I'm a bead snob as I prefer them though. No cheaper way to do a cooler than kl
  • jimmyv723jimmyv723 Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭
    KL Works For Me

Ken Light 3K MOW Badge - 8/14
    2015 Gang War - East Coast
    Enola Gay - Target #29

• rsherman24rsherman24 Posts: 6,736 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have 2 lbs of KL in my cooler divided between 2 plano boxes in the bottom and have not touched it in a year. Not sure how or why it works, but I have a remote hygrometer and 2 digital hygrometers inside and they all say 63% RH.
  • variant2variant2 Posts: 882 ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks to an idea from my wife, I have been using water pearls which are designed to go in a vase and keep flowers hydrated. The item I originally used is discontinued since it shipped hydrated. The new products ship dry and you just add the water.

Clickity

They're super cheap, clear, odorless and expand to perfect little spheres. Been using them for about 8 months in a clear little tupper container with holes drilled on the lid.

Cнeerѕ! Moтнerғυcĸer
  • avengethisavengethis Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭✭✭
    variant2:
    Thanks to an idea from my wife, I have been using water pearls which are designed to go in a vase and keep flowers hydrated. The item I originally used is discontinued since it shipped hydrated. The new products ship dry and you just add the water.

Clickity

They're super cheap, clear, odorless and expand to perfect little spheres. Been using them for about 8 months in a clear little tupper container with holes drilled on the lid.

Interesting. Are you using any other device to maintain a certain rh? If not what are these holding at?
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

"I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke ever last one of 'em." - Ron White
  • variant2variant2 Posts: 882 ✭✭✭✭
    avengethis:
    variant2:

Clickity

Interesting. Are you using any other device to maintain a certain rh? If not what are these holding at?
    I drilled a series holes in the lid of my small tupper container to control RH and use small labels to cover/uncover holes if/when there are changes. I try to maintain an RH of ~68 in my coolidor.

Cнeerѕ! Moтнerғυcĸer