Home Pipes

Over thinking the pallet??

Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
So far in my pipe journeys I have noticed unlike cigars a want the smoke to hit the tip of my tongue rather then the center. I find at the tip I find the sweetness of honey and toastiness come out,at the mid point more of the smokiness comes out and towards the back is where the pepper comes in. Am I over thinking how I smoke or have any of you guys found the same?
Money can't buy taste

Comments

• Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hadn't thought of it, but now I will. Like cigars, it's generally all about the nose with me.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • dr_frankenstein56dr_frankenstein56 Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭
    Same with me... its all about the retrohale... I find all of the parts i like the most here.

I gave way to toungue bite and found sinus bite much more intense. lol

Aj
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    I retro as well but find some subtleties on the tongue
    Money can't buy taste
  • J.S.J.S. Posts: 754
    I can taste pipe tobacco on the tongue but I get much more on the retro. I like to make sure that the smoke touches all parts of the tongue and the roof of the mouth to get the full effect but I do not pick up certain elements on certain parts of the tongue more than others if that is what you are saying. For me no one part really stands out as being sweet, etc. over the others.
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Had some Capt Black Royal earlier, about my only aromatic, andyou're right, Lee, it does work out that way. Just never thought about it, I guess.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    Yeah it's very odd to me...why is a pipe and a cigar so different as they hit your pallet??
    Money can't buy taste