Home Cigar 101

Trouble with Humidor stabilization...

I'm new to cigar smoking and converted my generous wife's Wine cooler to a wineador. I wasn't having any problems with humidity during the warmer months, but now the winter time has rolled around and I cant seem to get my humidity above 63%. Before I was using the small Boveda 69% packets that a friend had bought for me. After they ran out I purchased the big 69% Boveda pillows and I am having a lot of trouble keeping the humidity at a level that I prefer, which is 68-72%.
I have checked my wineador by turning the lights off in the room and turning on the internal light and checking for any leaks and could not find any. I have also pulled the air filter off of the back and checked to make sure that the fan is functioning and everything seems to be working correctly. My only guess is that the very low humidity out here in the desert has had the drastic effect on my setup, but if there are no visible leaks, the outside should not be effecting anything. Like I said I'm new so these are just suppositions. I am thinking about getting an active humidifier, like the Cigar Oasis XL to compensate, but I'm such a big fan of the Boveda packs I'd like to not have to switch. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Comments

• CharlieHeisCharlieHeis Posts: 8,144 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I prefer mine around 65 and am ok with it dipping to 63% in the ridiculously dry winter conditions of the midwest. But to each their own.
    I don't have a wineador, but someday I hope to. Sorry I am no help there, but if you search wineador here on the forum you'll find some info that may help. Good luck
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    During colder monthes it's hard to maintain rh...there is mathematics to it but I'm sure your not wanting to go through all that. I would add beads and call it a day... Also have you plugged the drain hole?how many bovedas are you running and where did you place them?where is your hygrometer located?how big is the winador?what temp is it set for?is it thermo electric or condenser? And why 72rh?
    Money can't buy taste
  • Big''nBall''nBig''nBall''n Posts: 767 ✭✭✭✭
    I don't have a winador but my rh shot up I had to open the vent holes and add some SC to help it now its back to 70-72 which is still a bit high for me but better than 75+
    The Names Ball'n.... Big'nBall'n! 
  • youngryan216youngryan216 Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭
    Levi_Rellik:
    I'm new to cigar smoking and converted my generous wife's Wine cooler to a wineador. I wasn't having any problems with humidity during the warmer months, but now the winter time has rolled around and I cant seem to get my humidity above 63%. Before I was using the small Boveda 69% packets that a friend had bought for me. After they ran out I purchased the big 69% Boveda pillows and I am having a lot of trouble keeping the humidity at a level that I prefer, which is 68-72%.
    I have checked my wineador by turning the lights off in the room and turning on the internal light and checking for any leaks and could not find any. I have also pulled the air filter off of the back and checked to make sure that the fan is functioning and everything seems to be working correctly. My only guess is that the very low humidity out here in the desert has had the drastic effect on my setup, but if there are no visible leaks, the outside should not be effecting anything. Like I said I'm new so these are just suppositions. I am thinking about getting an active humidifier, like the Cigar Oasis XL to compensate, but I'm such a big fan of the Boveda packs I'd like to not have to switch. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
    Have you considered a room humidifier? For about $40 at Bed, Bath and Beyond there are a slew of room humidifiers.

My woman was complaining about dry skin, so we got a nice medium size room humidifier and my main humi has been solid at 67 since we plugged it in. This may or may not work for you, depending on the size room you have your stash in. Best of luck bruh.
    ISO Ramrod and Ron Mexico
  • I have not given that any consideration. I'll give it a shot. Thanks.
  • Hey Levi,

I'm the Business Development Director at Boveda. You've received a lot of solid help, so I just wanted to augment direct from us.

One of a few things are happening. 1. There's a leak somewhere, 2. You need to use more Boveda or 3. Your hygro is lying to you.

We recommend using at least 1 large (60g) Boveda per 25 cigar capacity (even if it isn't full) in a wood humidor, 1 per 50 capacity in an air-tight container. It's impossible to use "too many" because Boveda knows when to stop.

If you're using at least 1 per 50 capacity, then it's leak or hygro. Why don't you fire us an email with your address to info@bovedainc.com and we'll send you a free calibration kit. That way, a calibrated hygrometer will result in you be 100% sure what's happening in there.

If it turns out your hygro was right, you need more Boveda or a higher RH. Cheers! Charlie
  • dr_frankenstein56dr_frankenstein56 Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭
    CPRSquared:
    Hey Levi, I'm the Business Development Director at Boveda. You've received a lot of solid help, so I just wanted to augment direct from us. One of a few things are happening. 1. There's a leak somewhere, 2. You need to use more Boveda or 3. Your hygro is lying to you. We recommend using at least 1 large (60g) Boveda per 25 cigar capacity (even if it isn't full) in a wood humidor, 1 per 50 capacity in an air-tight container. It's impossible to use "too many" because Boveda knows when to stop. If you're using at least 1 per 50 capacity, then it's leak or hygro. Why don't you fire us an email with your address to info@bovedainc.com and we'll send you a free calibration kit. That way, a calibrated hygrometer will result in you be 100% sure what's happening in there. If it turns out your hygro was right, you need more Boveda or a higher RH. Cheers! Charlie
    well well..... welcome! does this mean you will be sticking around and aiding us Bolevers?

Aj
  • I sure will! We've generally had a light touch on forums because we don't want to give the impression a company is invading a sacred hangout, especially when other members have been so great at helping people out.

But I'll sure be around and happy to answer any questions or post on subjects that members would like to know more about.

Cheers!
    Charlie
  • dr_frankenstein56dr_frankenstein56 Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭
    CPRSquared:
    I sure will! We've generally had a light touch on forums because we don't want to give the impression a company is invading a sacred hangout, especially when other members have been so great at helping people out. But I'll sure be around and happy to answer any questions or post on subjects that members would like to know more about. Cheers! Charlie
    I for one will say a comapnys presence on such a forum tends to be a sign of care and willing to be a genuine part of the people. Yea im sure you will have your fan boys of KL and the fair share of us Bolevers who argue back and forth... but what forum doesnt? Stick around pull up a chair and light a nice stogie with us! Welcome Charlie!

Aj
  • PatrickbrickPatrickbrick Posts: 7,722 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I use bovada packs in several "humidors" and have never had a problem with RH. In winter I keep them all in the same room and add a humidifier. This is kept in the room but humidifys the entire floor. Also for me I'm good with 63 o 68 no more than than that, I also keep different storage units at different RHs.
    "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.
  • PatrickbrickPatrickbrick Posts: 7,722 ✭✭✭✭✭
    dr_frankenstein56:
    CPRSquared:
    I sure will! We've generally had a light touch on forums because we don't want to give the impression a company is invading a sacred hangout, especially when other members have been so great at helping people out. But I'll sure be around and happy to answer any questions or post on subjects that members would like to know more about. Cheers! Charlie
    I for one will say a comapnys presence on such a forum tends to be a sign of care and willing to be a genuine part of the people. Yea im sure you will have your fan boys of KL and the fair share of us Bolevers who argue back and forth... but what forum doesnt? Stick around pull up a chair and light a nice stogie with us! Welcome Charlie!

Aj
    I vey much agree.
    "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.
  • kswildcatkswildcat Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Patrickbrick:
    dr_frankenstein56:
    CPRSquared:

Aj
    I vey much agree.
    I very much agree.. Kind of makes me want to order some Boveda packs..