Home Cigar 101

Not a clue

Hey I like this cigar culture and stuff but I have no clue on how to get started. I have a cutter and a lighter and don't want to smoke cigars from behind a cash register. Somebody get me started please.

Comments

• 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's a tough one.
    First you need to know what you like. Which will take some doing.
    Samplers, picking up a cigar or two at a local cigar shop are ways to start to know what ones you like or dislike.
    Read the forums, articles and reviews. Take in as much as you can and believe about half of it.

The problem with getting advice from someone about cigars, is it's like asking someone how to cook a steak you like.
    We all have different ideas of what will work for us.
    Learn the differences between the cigars, wrappers, binders and fillers.
    They make a difference in taste.
    It's kind of like different steaks have different flavors and the cigar wrappers are like the seasoning.
    The wrapper is what gives it the flavoring.
    The binder would be the cut of the steak and the filler would be rare, medium or well done.

While it might not be a totally accurate comparison, it gives you an idea about cigars.

I wish I could tell you to go buy x or y cigar, but I can't. Only you can judge what will work for you.
    Some guys like Maduro wrappers, some like Connecticut and I like Cameroon.
    Have some kind of storage for your cigars, a humidifier and hygrometer to tell the humidity your cigars are at.
    You will see tons of varying information on humidity again, it is personal preferance.
    Personally, I like between 65-68%. Others may like up to 70%.

Reading through the forums will help you understand and see which direction you want to go.

I know that wasn't much of a help, but it's the best I can do.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • The3StogiesThe3Stogies Posts: 2,652 ✭✭✭✭
    Welcome to the forum, you will learn so much from these guys. Best advice I could give is do some reading first, lurk around the forum check out the newsletters and videos, all great info. Call CCOM and talk to them when you have a better idea of what you may like to try.

If you're not really sure about this you may want to buy a sampler or 2, some Boveda packs and a mason jar or something to store them in. Start small in case it's not your cup of tea. If you want to jump in then get a humi and start the seasoning now, keeping in mind the first humi is always too small.

There's lots of great cigars out there, you will never be bored, but maybe broke.
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The3Stogies:
    Welcome to the forum, you will learn so much from these guys. Best advice I could give is do some reading first, lurk around the forum check out the newsletters and videos, all great info. Call CCOM and talk to them when you have a better idea of what you may like to try.

If you're not really sure about this you may want to buy a sampler or 2, some Boveda packs and a mason jar or something to store them in. Start small in case it's not your cup of tea. If you want to jump in then get a humi and start the seasoning now, keeping in mind the first humi is always too small.

There's lots of great cigars out there, you will never be bored, but maybe broke.
    I'd like to agree with what has been said so far and add my two cents. Read up on everything. Visit your local cigar shops. Even if it's an hours drive you should do this. Most have smoking lounges. Buy some, smoke some. Buy sampler packs from cigar.com. Most small/cheap humidors are not reliable. You're better off with Boveda packets in a gallon ziplock bag. The first piece of equipment you should buy is a good digital hygrometer. Xikar, and Hygroset are a couple of names to look for. And stick around here, it's a great place to learn.
  • Thank you so much for your reply. All great advice on the journey. God bless,
    Tommy
  • The3StogiesThe3Stogies Posts: 2,652 ✭✭✭✭
    Now when you are ready to get your humidor. It'll take a few weeks to get it and get it seasoned, take your time. Get their home ready. While it's seasoning you can figure out what cigars you may want to try. Plenty of advice here. Then when they arrive you will be ready for them, unlike I was. Stick around we'll help you through it and more importantly just have fun with it.
  • HaysHays Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭
    Welcome to the forum bud, lots of good people here and more knowledge than you could ever soak in. There´s been plenty of good advice here already, so I´ll just reiterate - find a good tobacconist (just google it, ¨cigars in {my town}¨), and be honest with them. Most of the time they´ll love to take a new enthusiast under their wing (it´s good business!), and you´ll make a valuable friend in the process.

My go-to recommendation for new cigar smokers trying to expand their palate is to look for the Rocky Patel Vintage cigars. They´re sold in almost every tobbaconist I´ve ever seen, and many times in small smoke shops and gas stations to be honest. I think at this point there´s the 1990, 1992, 1999, and 2003, but maybe there´s been more additions since I looked last. At any rate, these are all mild-medium body cigars with different wrapper and filler combinations, and it´s a great way to start narrowing down what appeals to your palate (in my opinion). Best of luck to you!
    ¨The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the sea¨ - Isak Dinesen

¨Only two people walk around in this world beardless - boys and women - and I am neither one.¨
  • LeftOversLeftOvers Posts: 196 ✭✭
    Hays:
    Welcome to the forum bud, lots of good people here and more knowledge than you could ever soak in. There´s been plenty of good advice here already, so I´ll just reiterate - find a good tobacconist (just google it, ¨cigars in {my town}¨), and be honest with them. Most of the time they´ll love to take a new enthusiast under their wing (it´s good business!), and you´ll make a valuable friend in the process.

My go-to recommendation for new cigar smokers trying to expand their palate is to look for the Rocky Patel Vintage cigars. They´re sold in almost every tobbaconist I´ve ever seen, and many times in small smoke shops and gas stations to be honest. I think at this point there´s the 1990, 1992, 1999, and 2003, but maybe there´s been more additions since I looked last. At any rate, these are all mild-medium body cigars with different wrapper and filler combinations, and it´s a great way to start narrowing down what appeals to your palate (in my opinion). Best of luck to you!
    hi david lucky guy in spain
  • LeftOversLeftOvers Posts: 196 ✭✭
    Hays:

go by your own taste dont follow the lemmings
  • HaysHays Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭
    LeftOvers:
    hi david lucky guy in spain
    Hiya... Stick with "Hays", it's easier. I like it here, been a while - why doncha come visit?
    ¨The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the sea¨ - Isak Dinesen

¨Only two people walk around in this world beardless - boys and women - and I am neither one.¨
  • kswildcatkswildcat Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bob Luken:
    The3Stogies:

I'd like to agree with what has been said so far and add my two cents. Read up on everything. Visit your local cigar shops. Even if it's an hours drive you should do this. Most have smoking lounges. Buy some, smoke some. Buy sampler packs from cigar.com. Most small/cheap humidors are not reliable. You're better off with Boveda packets in a gallon ziplock bag. The first piece of equipment you should buy is a good digital hygrometer. Xikar, and Hygroset are a couple of names to look for. And stick around here, it's a great place to learn.
    I 2nd the cheap humidors (may have just been winter weather).. Advice from 1 newbie to another is get you a tuppaware and some boveda packs.. Visit your local B&M (hopefully your not like me and actually have 1). If its a good one the person there will be knowledgeable and eager to help you find something you like and not just try to sell you the highest price cigar he/she can. I read/watch alot of reviews and I pay close attention to the What you smoking threads on here and make notes of what others here like and if I see those on sale I try to buy cheap.. If you dont like them I am sure people on here will be happy to make a trade and try to set you up with something you may like. Thats my logic anyway
  • webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Only way I know to do this right: Send me your address via private messenger, and I will send you a starter kit.
    “It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)