Home Cigar 101

Cigar Protocol

First off Happy Holidays All!!

I have a question, What is the etiquette for bringing in your own cigar to a cigar shop?

Here is my situation, I started my cigar smoking about a year ago. My wife tolerates the occasional cigar, but I agreed not to smoke near the kids, or at the house (in or out). I have bought a cigars while traveling to Hawaii. I share with friends that are gracious enough to open their back yard (fire pit, bourbon and a cigar is heaven)

Now with winter coming (even in Cali) my question is , will a cigar shop allow me to smoke my own there (I personally think i should buy there, but don't want to waste what I have). Is it different if the server drinks, food etc...

Thanks in advance everyone (still a newbie, but getting better).

Jeff

Comments

• avengethisavengethis Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Proper etiquette is to buy a cigar while you are there. You can smoke your own and save your newly purchased one for a later date but it is good practice to support the business you are using.
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

"I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke ever last one of 'em." - Ron White
  • jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not sure what you mean by waste your own. It is similar if you go to a cigar bar (if your lucky enough to live near one). You should always buy one of theirs. The few times I have stopped and smoked at a B&M or a cigar bar there was always a cigar for sale that I have not seen elsewhere, or have wanted to try but was never able to. I think that a place that allows us to smoke, maybe have a drink or conversation in comfortable surroundings is worth the added expense. And who knows, you may find a new favorite.
  • phishstyxphishstyx Posts: 110
    If they serve liquor, is it ok to bring your own and just get drinks? I am a good tipper.
  • Hence what my original said, I agree to support the local shop, and most of the time Im completely fine with that, but want to make sure I have a chance to smoke my own inventory. I the guy that buys a soda when I stop at a gas station to use their bathroom. I would most likely buy something, lighter, spare cutter, food or drink (depending on the I liked the drink analogy. Appreciate the input. Jeff
  • HaysHays Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭
    Hey Jeff, welcome to the forum. What´s the place you´re looking to hang out at? I´m from Sacramento, and know just about everybody in the industry on the west coast. It´s been said here already, but standard protocol is to at least buy something from the shop, even if you´re smoking your own. I understand that might defeat the (cost-saving) purpose, but if they sell drinks/food then those are options too. With that said, the easiest answer to your question is just gonna be by talking with the lounge directly and asking them. If they have half a brain, they won´t be offended by the question, but will appreciate that you´re considering their establishment.

The place I hung out at the most was Perfecto Lounge up in Roseville, outside Sacramento. They serve beer and wine, in addition to the full humi - the owners were perfectly fine with bringing your own, but generally appreciated that you bought a drink or stick. Mind you, being that I was one of the first 10 founding members of the lounge I can't say that I honestly made a purchase every time I hung out there, but that's something that just develops as you develop that relationship. Bottom line, just ask the lounge.
    ¨The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the sea¨ - Isak Dinesen

¨Only two people walk around in this world beardless - boys and women - and I am neither one.¨
  • ShadowInTheMoonShadowInTheMoon Posts: 507 ✭✭
    If anything just call the place and ask if they have any restrictions. I would always buy a cigar to show support but each place is different. it wont hurt calling or stopping in and asking
    Two people with a common goal can accomplish many things. Two people with a common enemy can accomplish even more.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    ShadowInTheMoon:
    If anything just call the place and ask if they have any restrictions. I would always buy a cigar to show support but each place is different. it wont hurt calling or stopping in and asking
    i agree with this.
    my shop used to let people bring their own so long as they bought some but they changed that because if they didnt stock the cigar the people bringing them in were telling them to go elsewhere to get it instead of asking a guy at the shop to order it (witch they would gladly do)
  • rsherman24rsherman24 Posts: 6,735 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't go to B&M's that often, but when I do I always buy the cigars I am going to smoke from them. I guess if I was paying B&M prices for singles or could not smoke at home I might have a different opinion. The ones you have at home won't go bad if you store them properly.
  • EchambersEchambers Posts: 4,178 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have two lounges I go to once in a while. The first one is small with a crappy section. I always bring my own there but buy a couple of drinks and tip well. The other one has an amazing selection, all well maintained so I tend to buy something there to smoke and end up taking some home too. This one is a. Pulls if hours from my house so I tend not to drink much there. Hope this helps some.
    -- "There's something that doesn't make sense. Let's go poke it with a stick."
  • The_KidThe_Kid Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭
    Hey Jeff, Were all works in progress, so don't be too shy to ask. There is no end to learning.
    Yea, normally most places you can bring and smoke your own, but its proper to buy a stick or two even if its not required (most places it is). you can call and Ask before you arrive? You don't have to smoke what you buy, but if you want to strike up some conversation with one of the staff, who will probably be joining you as you indulge, it might be a great jump off point to ask for a recommendation. Tell him what your likes, dislikes are and he may find you a wonderful cigar to enjoy. Or not ;o)
    Anyhow welcome
    FWIW Two cigar lounges close to you that come to mind are Mission Pipe & Cigar in SJ and Ohlone in Fremont.
    GO SHARKS!!!!!
  • Mission Pipe is on there is also Los Gatos Cigar and Habana Vieja i Santana Row in San Jose. You guys are all great in the suggestions and I like the idea of being able to pay for drinks and smoke my if possible sometimes or buy there. Im glad to see that some have the option. Happy Holiday and maybe we will run into each other one day at a shop!
  • D_FreshD_Fresh Posts: 610 ✭✭✭
    Just for reference, the bar I frequent allows you to bring your own but may charge a cut or light fee (not sure how much) Generally it's best practice to buy one there. I'm sure they would be fine allowing me to bring my own to smoke and purchasing one to take home. I'm fortunate that this place doesn't gouge too much and is generally only $1-2 over msrp.
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    For me it's a tad different...every now and again I buy the guys lunch and I also give them Xmas presents aka cash. Really they don't care what I do plus I'm good with the big bosses at the place. But if you don't contribute buy but bring and smoke
    Money can't buy taste
  • 90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I always bring my own smokes and drinks, but I always pick up one or two singles when I go to say thanks for using the space. Best to just ask how they feel about bringing your own.
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • ToombesToombes Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭
    I fell into a huge argument about this just recently. Like most of the guys have mentioned, it's only right that you should buy one or two from the shop. If you're a regular and friendly with the staff, you may be able to fudge on this a bit. If you're the "new guy", I'd ask the owner what his policy is. Remember, these people run the business as a means of income and rely on us to put the stock back on the shelves. Personally, I buy a smoke from the shop for every one of my own that I light up.
  • jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Toombes:
    I fell into a huge argument about this just recently. Like most of the guys have mentioned, it's only right that you should buy one or two from the shop. If you're a regular and friendly with the staff, you may be able to fudge on this a bit. If you're the "new guy", I'd ask the owner what his policy is. Remember, these people run the business as a means of income and rely on us to put the stock back on the shelves. Personally, I buy a smoke from the shop for every one of my own that I light up.

Seems like a good plan to me. I always buy one that I have never tried, and if I have the time I will light up and smoke it, at least long enough to find out if it is one I want more of. Of course with the curmudgeon at the closest B&M anything I do can be a problem. Never ever mention on-line sales. His fangs will come out.
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jd50ae:
    Toombes:

Seems like a good plan to me. I always buy one that I have never tried, and if I have the time I will light up and smoke it, at least long enough to find out if it is one I want more of. Of course with the curmudgeon at the closest B&M anything I do can be a problem. Never ever mention on-line sales. His fangs will come out.
    I know that place. Tiny little shop. It's been there forever. Great prices on singles. I've never mentioned online sales. And, thanks to you, I never will.
  • Retircs1Retircs1 Posts: 453
    jeffpodraza:
    First off Happy Holidays All!! I have a question, What is the etiquette for bringing in your own cigar to a cigar shop? Here is my situation, I started my cigar smoking about a year ago. My wife tolerates the occasional cigar, but I agreed not to smoke near the kids, or at the house (in or out). I have bought a cigars while traveling to Hawaii. I share with friends that are gracious enough to open their back yard (fire pit, bourbon and a cigar is heaven) Now with winter coming (even in Cali) my question is , will a cigar shop allow me to smoke my own there (I personally think i should buy there, but don't want to waste what I have). Is it different if the server drinks, food etc... Thanks in advance everyone (still a newbie, but getting better). Jeff
    Your in san Jose Ca about 70 miles from me and many of Cigar shops in the area West Coast Cigar in in San Jose. Los Gatos Cigar Club and depending how far you willing to go many lounges/club/ bars in California. bring your own cigar is not look down on but you will be charaged a cutting/clipping fee at most places which is waved when you buy a stick from them. or become a member of the club. California has grand fathered Cigar shops and lounges to smoke inside. But when I travel I look in the areas where I am at to see what cigar places are there. Now when I went to Palm Springs one cigar shop/ wine lounge would not allow me to smoke a cigar I had without paying a surcharge and I bought cigars and wine there. I told him I will take my wine and you can stick your charge sir.