Home Cigar 101

Low cigar temperature = less flavor?

First_WarriorFirst_Warrior Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭✭✭
My studio is big and has high ceilings and it is hard to heat. Most days in the morning it is 50 degrees and during the day 55 degrees. I wear a lot of clothes. All my cigars are at that temperature. I have noticed a drop off of flavor of most of my smokes. I know the cigar heats up as it is burned and about half way through I start getting the flavors that i seek. Is it me or does lower cigar temperature snuff the inital flavor of a cigar? I'm thinking about getting a electric blanket to wrap up my humidors.

Comments

• jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just keep in mind that beetles don't move around looking for mates at temps below 70 but above that they can. Jus' sayin'...... ??
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    Huh funny I like to keep my cigars cooler...never noticed any real difference in fact I find they burn much better
    Money can't buy taste
  • ddubridgeddubridge Posts: 3,978 ✭✭✭
    I have often had the same feeling. Here is a thread I posted in a while back on the matter.

http://www.cigar.com/cs/forums/2/619602/ShowThread.aspx
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think that there is always a relationship between temperature and humidity which may be having a effect. Presumably you've taken a cigar from a 70 degree humidor at a certain rh, say 68, and the rh changes with the temperature outside. At least the functional effect of rh changes. Of course, you're saying that the temperature isn't changing that much, so perhaps the 50 degree humidor itself is having a drying effect, the rh that's appropriate for 70 degrees may not be the same for 50 -55. I'm putting this out there as a possibility, not claiming to know it as a fact. I must say that I do seem to notice some difference in a cigar I'm smoking indoors when I walk the dogs out into the cold night. I've been attributing that to my smoking faster while outside, though, and that might also be a factor to consider.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • First_WarriorFirst_Warrior Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I usually put whatever I'm going to smoke in the next couple of days into my desktop humidor. I am going to find a way to warm up the desktop to 65 degrees to see if i can tell a difference.
  • webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds to me like beer. More of the flavor comes thru at room temp. That's why you have to drink Bud and such ice cold, is so you don't taste it. Likewise, mix cold air in with whateverdegree baccy burns at...
    “It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)