Home General Discussion

4 smokes, different cuts

roland_7707roland_7707 Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭
Has anyone had the same stick, size and all and smoked em using different cuts? One guillotine, one punch, v-cut..etc? Just wondering if the flavor is affected by the draw.
Just wondering.
One God, One Truth

Comments

• CigaryCigary Posts: 630
    There is method to this that does affect how much smoke is drawn with a different cut which is why there is so much talk about what constitutes the best cut on a cigar. I like a V Cut with a cutter that "scoops" instead of cuts straight across...not all V Cuts are alike which is why one is called a "Cats Eye" cut. The Boston Cutter V Cut is such a cutter as it starts with a shallow cut and in the middle it goes deeper and then finishes with the same as when it started. If you want to have more smoke from a draw with a guillotine cut then just cut off more but if you go past the cap you'll probably get a cigar that unravels but you'll get a ton more smoke.
  • ShadowInTheMoonShadowInTheMoon Posts: 507 ✭✭
    I dont even have that many cutters to my name. But i dont think it would make a world of difference.
    Two people with a common goal can accomplish many things. Two people with a common enemy can accomplish even more.
  • roland_7707roland_7707 Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭
    I understand about the draw. But does the flavor get influenced by the cut? To me a small punch would only draw a small amount of smoke through it, affecting flavor. Ill have to use my pocket knife and start cutting lol.
    One God, One Truth
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    roland_7707:
    I understand about the draw. But does the flavor get influenced by the cut? To me a small punch would only draw a small amount of smoke through it, affecting flavor. Ill have to use my pocket knife and start cutting lol.
    yes it does. it will change where the smoke hits your tongue. this does impact the flavor to a degree. it is one of the reasons why i like a classic cut with a double guillotine. when i used to use a punch the smoke would be further back in the mouth and (for me at least) it seemed to increase the spice level. also... the draw is looser with a larger opening meaning i can pull off of the cigar in a more "soft" manor keeping the cigar from heating up.