Home General Discussion

what do you drink

Hello,
I normally drink a rum and coke with my cigar.I ran across a guy that said he likes to drink Tea. No he was not British LOL.
He said he drinks tea called gray something. So being cold outside I am going to try it. What do you guys drink with a good cigar?

Comments

• Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
    Earl gray? Never tried tea. Had hot chocolate once, though, that was good. Mostly water here. Sometimes a good stout.
    ^Troll: DO NOT FEED.
  • 90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome to Ccom, stub! I suspect you are going to get a wide range of answers. I will say that for me if its a new cigar to me then I typically do only water or a small amount of Coke so that I don't overpower the flavors of the stick and get as much as I can out of it. Otherwise I normally pair with beer, bourbon, whiskey or scotch.
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • Darktower007Darktower007 Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭✭
    90+ Irishman:
    Welcome to Ccom, stub! I suspect you are going to get a wide range of answers. I will say that for me if its a new cigar to me then I typically do only water or a small amount of Coke so that I don't overpower the flavors of the stick and get as much as I can out of it. Otherwise I normally pair with beer, bourbon, whiskey or scotch.
    Well said! I do the same. :)
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    With my cigar? Often nothing. But I will sometimes choose a drink after I begin smoking and decide what to drink at that point. Sometimes just water to cleanse my palate every few puffs, especially if I'm getting too much pepper or spice from the cigar. Every now and then a coke or Dr pepper. Sometimes bourbon. Coffee is nice with a cigar sometimes. I've never tried wine yet but I did pair a Morado with Red grape juice a few times. Not a bad combo.
    Darktower007:
    90+ Irishman:
    Thanks Jason :) It really depends on my mood, if I want to "experience" the cigar I stay with water or come so I can get all of the subtle nuances, but if the point is to just zen and relax and live the scene then I will pour some bourbon or scotch 9 out of 10 times. I've found that hooch finished in port or rum barrels pair distinctly well with cigars for me, or a good wheated bourbon. Things like Angeks Envy, Glenmorangie 12 years Quinta Ruban or Woodford Reserve are all prime examples of that.
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • youngryan216youngryan216 Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭
    stub:
    Hello, I normally drink a rum and coke with my cigar.I ran across a guy that said he likes to drink Tea. No he was not British LOL. He said he drinks tea called gray something. So being cold outside I am going to try it. What do you guys drink with a good cigar?
    OK.
    I'm a huge tea nerd, and I would definitely say you should stay away from Earl Grey if you want to taste the cigar. Earl Grey is a black tea spiced with orange bergamot, which is a powerful citrus oil that could really "tint" the flavor of your cigar.

I recommend an un-flavored white or green, loose leaf tea. Both pair excellently (White is most transparent) with a stogie, and they have minimal caffeine content, so you can have a big ol mug. Silver Needle is my favorite.

I drink white tea so often with my smokes that I pair certain honeys with certain sticks. It's fun and nerdy and obviously delicious.
    Anyway, welcome to the hood Stub!

Ooh btw, try chocolate milk with a nice robusto some night. I love that pairing too.
    ISO Ramrod and Ron Mexico
  • The_KidThe_Kid Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭
    90+ Irishman:
    Darktower007:
    90+ Irishman:
    Thanks Jason :) It really depends on my mood, if I want to "experience" the cigar I stay with water or come so I can get all of the subtle nuances, but if the point is to just zen and relax and live the scene then I will pour some bourbon or scotch 9 out of 10 times. I've found that hooch finished in port or rum barrels pair distinctly well with cigars for me, or a good wheated bourbon. Things like Angeks Envy, Glenmorangie 12 years Quinta Ruban or Woodford Reserve are all prime examples of that.
    Great Answer!!! Love the Quinta Ruban, so far my fav Glenmorangie, Have you tried the Nectar d'or? Nother question for ya, Do you pass on a cigar if you want to "experience" a new bourbon,scotch,beer?
  • variant2variant2 Posts: 882 ✭✭✭✭
    For the winter, it's mostly Southern Comfort or when I'm having a tough day, I go for the Knob Creek Bourbon.
    Cнeerѕ! Moтнerғυcĸer
  • D_FreshD_Fresh Posts: 610 ✭✭✭
    90+ Irishman:
    Couldn't say it any better than this...beer, bourbon, whiskey, or scotch and i''ll throw in cognac although with that I generally stick to Kelt XO. Really just depends on the cigar and the mood I am in
  • catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    Bourbon...Kentucky Straights. I love sipping on them with cigars, as well as scotch and whiskey, but lately I've found the KS bourbons to just be perfect for me. A nice peaty Islay is excellent with Brazilian maduros. I also enjoy iced coffee, black coffee, latte or cappucino, at times a macchiato, vanilla or orange cream sodas, craft root beer, craft beer, and Arnold Palmers.
  • ShadowInTheMoonShadowInTheMoon Posts: 507 ✭✭
    A water is always good but i really like coffee or Dr. Pepper
    Two people with a common goal can accomplish many things. Two people with a common enemy can accomplish even more.
  • CharlieHeisCharlieHeis Posts: 8,144 ✭✭✭✭✭
    90+ Irishman:
    Darktower007:
    90+ Irishman:
    Proofreading isn't for everybody.
  • jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pretty much what ever I can get my hands on.
  • First_WarriorFirst_Warrior Posts: 3,140 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i drink coffee with my cigar most of the time. Sometimes I like a dark beer like Newcastle though.
  • The3StogiesThe3Stogies Posts: 2,652 ✭✭✭✭
    Drinking tea, don't forget to stick your little pinky out, by that I mean your finger, lol.
    I usually drink Red Rose but Yorkshire Gold is great. Makes a big difference between making it in a cup by bag verses a teapot brew too. Friends of my sisters from England stopped by and I offered them tea, threw a mug in the microwave put a bag in it and served. They drank it but next visit they brought me some of that Yorkshire tea and I boiled the water on the stove, see I'm getting culture. Last visit I used a teapot for brewing and they were impressed, next visit I was promised a tea cozy. Really does make a difference in flavor though.
  • twistedstemtwistedstem Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭✭✭
    for me its usually one of two things ether a nice cup of coffee or a glass of port wine.especially for after dinner.a good port pairs well with a medium to full bodied cigar,just mt opinion,
    no matter where you go, there you are.

• matkn293matkn293 Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Depends on the mood and the stick for me really. Sometimes water, sometimes a nice IPA, then there is the bourbons or scotches.

Life is too short to smoke bad cigars!!!

Oh when the Blues, Oh when the Blues, Oh when the Blues go marching in!

• HaysHays Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭
    Coffee most often (in various forms depending on the stick, e.g. black, cafe con leche, etc), though in the States my favorite drink otherwise was actually a 50/50 Kahlua and milk. No, I don´t mean a White Russian, I mean exactly what I said - try it, it pairs amazingly well with so many cigars. Another bloke mentioned port, as well...that´s some good stuff if you pair it right.
    ¨The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the sea¨ - Isak Dinesen

¨Only two people walk around in this world beardless - boys and women - and I am neither one.¨
    The Kid:
    90+ Irishman:
    Darktower007:
    90+ Irishman:
    Great Answer!!! Love the Quinta Ruban, so far my fav Glenmorangie, Have you tried the Nectar d'or? Nother question for ya, Do you pass on a cigar if you want to "experience" a new bourbon,scotch,beer?
    Hey Rudy! Haven't had the Nectar but it is something I'm keenly interested in trying! And if I'm going for a new drink then yes, I do what I can to have a clean palate that doesn't already have some other flavor "tainting" it like smoke or heavy garlic/onion etc. If it's something new and I want to figure out what it's really like I will try to go in with as few preconceived notions as I can. That's true for cigars, drinks etc so that I can better understand what's going on when I'm really paying attention.
    CharlieHeis:
    90+ Irishman:
    Darktower007:
    90+ Irishman:
    Proofreading isn't for everybody.
    Lol damn didn't catch that and uhh yeah no. Coke***** not the other.
  • jimmyv723jimmyv723 Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭
    For stuff like My Father, MOW PA, Tatuaje Havana VI and Oliva Serie V I either have Arizona Green Tea or Arnold Palmer (those are the two main things I drink all the time) or a Kraken and Mexican Coke. For stuff like the Padron 1964, LP No, 9, Tatuaje Reserva Noellas and Arturo Fuente Anejo I will have a Cafe Mocha where I just mix about 6 oz of Coffee and 8-12 oz of Hot Chocolate. It goes really nice with the flavors in sticks like those.
    Ken Light 3K MOW Badge - 8/14
    2015 Gang War - East Coast
    Enola Gay - Target #29

• FireRobFireRob Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭
    Most of the time, nothing at all. If something it's usually water. Sometimes it's diet Dr Pepper or a beer or maybe a booze with some strength to it, but nothing in-particular. If I smoking a new cigar I have never tried I try to avoid any other taste influences
  • benhanksbenhanks Posts: 342 ✭✭
    Mostly bourbon for me. I normally pair the strength of the cigar with the strength of the bourbon. I normally have Coke too.