Home General Discussion

Stupid Boveda question

LiquidChaos66LiquidChaos66 Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭✭
I came across my Herf-a-dor last night (its been AWOL since we moved last month) and I still has my Boveda pack in it... How do I know when the Boveda pack has passed its useful stages? Is it easy to tell when the pack has called it quits?
Life is like a blind fiver. You never know what you're gonna get.

Comments

• BrianakBrianak Posts: 255
    When they are rock hard. You can usually revive them by soaking them.
  • brianetz1brianetz1 Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭
    Brianak:
    Yep rick hard = pretty dead. I have a hard tome revivingbthem when they are rock solid but onxe they start getting grainy toss them in a tupperware with distilled water dir a few days to a week and they will work again
  • rsherman24rsherman24 Posts: 6,736 ✭✭✭✭✭
    brianetz1:
    Brianak:
    Yep rick hard = pretty dead. I have a hard tome revivingbthem when they are rock solid but onxe they start getting grainy toss them in a tupperware with distilled water dir a few days to a week and they will work again

You talking about RCY?
  • smoke_em_if_you_got_emsmoke_em_if_you_got_em Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭✭✭
    brianetz1:
    Brianak:
    Spell check much?
  • LiquidChaos66LiquidChaos66 Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭✭
    LMAO!!!! Well... My pack is not Rick hard yet... Still pretty wet and squishy... so I think its still good. Its been in my Herf-a-dor since I got it... so it should be just fine.
    smoke em if you got em:
    brianetz1:
    Brianak:
    Spell check much?
    i am notorious for this while texting and doing whatever on my phone.....sorry it is me and you all will just have to live with it. Just figure out how to translate my fat thumbs!
  • MorganGeoMorganGeo Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭✭✭
    heh heh heh...you guys said 'rock hard'
    So reviving them... Do I put the pack in with a cup of distiller water or pour the water in and let it soak in it? I assume it's the first one.
    LiquidChaos66:
    So reviving them... Do I put the pack in with a cup of distiller water or pour the water in and let it soak in it? I assume it's the first one.
    I have a tupperware container that allows the packs to sit above the water and not soak in them. It usually takes about a week or two to revive them but I have been using my packs for over a year now. Can't go wrong with them. Love em.
    One question I had though was can you use regular tap water using this method? I mean the packets are just absorbing the moisture in the air right? not all the minerals, etc in the tap water? I've been using distilled but wondered if tap would do just as good.
  • danielzreyesdanielzreyes Posts: 8,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for bringing this up. I have some some packs that have been Bonered and need to be replaced.
    "It's plume, bro. Nothing to worry about. Got any Opus?" The suppose to be DZR
    i used to do what you did morgan, but after hearing that Lee and others just submerged them i started that and it works MUCH better and takes MUCH less time. When i did the old way i still had some grittyness in the packs with the submerge method that is all gone.
  • dr_frankenstein56dr_frankenstein56 Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭
    gotta remember that bovedas will MOLD or get funky smelling. ive seen it myself on some packs that were nearing the "Several years" age point.

Never use anything but distilled water, as the gel may not absorb impuritys, but the minerals will deposit on the paper membrane protectant and start mold once a pack has mold or suspected mold, discard immediatly or it will infect the rest. I submerge mine in boiling distilled water for maximum sterile factor.

Aj
  • ChemnitzChemnitz Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭
    Isn't the outside made out of brown paper? They look like they would just fall apart in the boiling water. No?
  • dr_frankenstein56dr_frankenstein56 Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭
    Chemnitz:
    Isn't the outside made out of brown paper? They look like they would just fall apart in the boiling water. No?
    it is, but it seems to do just fine in the boiling water. havent had one fail yet.

Aj
    I was just wondering that myself. It feels very papery and was thinking it would break down if soaked in water. but if it stands up in boiling water then cool! :)