Home General Discussion

Humidor is mysteriously perfect...

I'm new to this - just got a desktop humidor for Christmas, along with 12 nice sticks.
Calibrated with salt to 75%, seasoned for 24 hours, and the hydgrometer is reading a perfect 72%.
Should I season for another 24 hours to be safe, or am I ready to load in some stogies?

Comments

• RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    How did you season, and how big is the humi? A full humi holds/maintains rh better. 72% is just a tad high IMO, but if you're good with it then rock on. Also, are you using a digital hygrometer or the analog that comes with it?
  • onestrangeoneonestrangeone Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome to the forum Bingo, there is a ton of good info here. Leave your cigars in a Ziploc baggie for a minuet and read some of the threads on seasoning a humidor. IMO 24hrs is not enough time to properly season even a small humi, if you used the wipe method "instructions" that likely came with your new humi then I would wait a couple days and see what it does. some of the smaller humidors can be a little finicky sometimes and it can be very frustrating.
  • Humidor is 8" x 10" x 4". I seasoned according to the instructions, with a charged humidifier and a shotglass full of distilled water. I have my sticks in a ziplock for now, with a very slightly dampened paper towel. I think they'll be fine for a couple days. I will keep an eye on the hygrometer. When (if) it goes up, I'll remove the shotglass and see where we stand. Good idea? Lone Waddie, remember, it's not for eatin', it's just for lookin' through.
    BingoPajama:
    Humidor is 8" x 10" x 4". I seasoned according to the instructions, with a charged humidifier and a shotglass full of distilled water. I have my sticks in a ziplock for now, with a very slightly dampened paper towel. I think they'll be fine for a couple days. I will keep an eye on the hygrometer. When (if) it goes up, I'll remove the shotglass and see where we stand. Good idea? Lone Waddie, remember, it's not for eatin', it's just for lookin' through.
    It sounds like your off to a good start although I would probably remove the paper towel, your smokes will be okay by there self for a week or two.
    If you PM me your address I will see to it that you get added to our mailing list for the forum newsletter.
  • Thanks for the tip. I'll remove the paper towel today. Can't wait to stop throwing away money at the overpriced cigar store!! I think that my mailbox is getting enough activity these days, so I'll leave the newsletter for others to enjoy for now. Thank you, though!
    BingoPajama:
    Thanks for the tip. I'll remove the paper towel today. Can't wait to stop throwing away money at the overpriced cigar store!! I think that my mailbox is getting enough activity these days, so I'll leave the newsletter for others to enjoy for now. Thank you, though!
    Lol! you've been snooping!
  • bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    onestrangeone:
    If you PM me your address I will see to it that you get added to our mailing list for the forum newsletter.

LOL.

All good advice. Remember your hygrometer is reading moisture in the air. It takes a while for that same moisture to sink into the grains of the wood where it will not escape immediately every time you open the humi. The best thing to do is just be patient and make sure the humi is ready before you add your cigars. Welcome to the forum.
  • brianetz1brianetz1 Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭
    i had the same issue as you and instead of heeding these guys advice i tossed them in there, the humidor dropped to 59 within about 3 hours and then i had to re-season all over again
  • MorganGeoMorganGeo Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭✭✭
    onestrangeone:
    BingoPajama:
    Thanks for the tip. I'll remove the paper towel today. Can't wait to stop throwing away money at the overpriced cigar store!! I think that my mailbox is getting enough activity these days, so I'll leave the newsletter for others to enjoy for now. Thank you, though!
    hahaha. Send me yours Nathan. I haven't done biz with you yet. :)
    MorganGeo:
    onestrangeone:
    BingoPajama:
    hahaha. Send me yours Nathan. I haven't done biz with you yet. :)
    I can fix that ;)
  • Hygrometer has crept up to around 76%. Should I remove the shot glass and just leave the humidifier in overnight? Or, should I just let 'er suck up some water for another day?
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    BingoPajama:
    Hygrometer has crept up to around 76%. Should I remove the shot glass and just leave the humidifier in overnight? Or, should I just let 'er suck up some water for another day?
    Welcome BP. If it were me I'd I just let 'er suck up some water for another day,...or two,....or,..... And,... While you're waiting do a little research on Boveda packets. They are the best thing that could ever happen to a little humidor.
  • RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    I remember the difference from my first humi to current one. First one, could not wait to throw smokes in. Second time, was pretty easy to let it sit and do it's thing.
  • brianetz1brianetz1 Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭
    Bob Luken:
    BingoPajama:
    Hygrometer has crept up to around 76%. Should I remove the shot glass and just leave the humidifier in overnight? Or, should I just let 'er suck up some water for another day?
    Welcome BP. If it were me I'd I just let 'er suck up some water for another day,...or two,....or,..... And,... While you're waiting do a little research on Boveda packets. They are the best thing that could ever happen to a little humidor.
    or kitty litter......
  • Big''nBall''nBig''nBall''n Posts: 767 ✭✭✭✭
    welcome! lots of great info from some great sources!
    The Names Ball'n.... Big'nBall'n! 
  • Thanks for the tips. She seems to be holding a steady 72-73%, and I smoked a bunch of sticks this weekend with no change. So far, so good. Smoked a Cuba de Glorioso, or something like that, and it sucked. A little less than halfway through, I noticed the cigar was hollowed out, like someone had drilled through it lengthwise with a 1/16 drill bit.