Home General Discussion

"chocolate" suggestion?

Hi guys:
Got another question for the group. I'm still pretty new to the hobby, but coming along ok trying different smokes, etc.
I remember when I first started reading reviews & thinking how odd it sounded that this or that stick had "notes of chocolate." No way I thought. Of course, in my mind I was thinking of a Hershey's chocolate bar.
Since then, I've been really turned on to Ghiradelli's premium dark 72% cacao.
Now, I'm like **wow… there is a similarity between that taste & some of what I've tasted in cigars along the way.
So, question…. what should I turn to in order to maximize this taste? I'm assuming something with a Maduro wrapper, but I just don't know that much. I'm open to suggestions.
BTW, in closing, I'm not interested in anything "infused"… only stuff that comes by that taste naturally.

Thanks!

p

Comments

• onestrangeoneonestrangeone Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Try the 601 Blue if you get a chance.
  • danielzreyesdanielzreyes Posts: 8,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Grand Habano Vintage 2002
    "It's plume, bro. Nothing to worry about. Got any Opus?" The suppose to be DZR
  • Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
    I feel like Rocky Patel Patel Bros has a good amount of chocolate to it. Anyone ever get this guy's address for the newsletter?
    ^Troll: DO NOT FEED.
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    Any maduro padron should do the trick
    Money can't buy taste
  • smoke_em_if_you_got_emsmoke_em_if_you_got_em Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭✭✭
    danielzreyes:
    Been a minute since I smoked one of these bad boys..used to be a go to in my early on when I began smoking.
  • Darktower007Darktower007 Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭✭
    Buccanero Double maduro all day long
  • MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
    Lee.mcglynn:
    Any maduro padron should do the trick

This.

Or: Illusione Rothchildes, Ezra Zion FHK, Diesel UHC, Camacho Triple Maddy, Oliva V Melanio (bitter chocolate is slight, but there), Partagas Cifuentes, Macanudo Cru Royale (don't laugh, I really liked this one), Montecristo Media Noche (again, don't laugh), Genesis the Project (just smoked one with a year on it, much better than fresh), Tat Havana, LP Undercrown (think chocolate cupcake), LP No. 9, MOW Armada.

That should give you a few to start with.
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
  • HaysHays Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭
    p.aulmartin:
    Hi guys: Got another question for the group. I'm still pretty new to the hobby, but coming along ok trying different smokes, etc. I remember when I first started reading reviews & thinking how odd it sounded that this or that stick had "notes of chocolate." No way I thought. Of course, in my mind I was thinking of a Hershey's chocolate bar. Since then, I've been really turned on to Ghiradelli's premium dark 72% cacao. Now, I'm like **wow… there is a similarity between that taste & some of what I've tasted in cigars along the way. So, question…. what should I turn to in order to maximize this taste? I'm assuming something with a Maduro wrapper, but I just don't know that much. I'm open to suggestions. BTW, in closing, I'm not interested in anything "infused"… only stuff that comes by that taste naturally. Thanks! p
    I've had most of the cigars mentioned in this thread, and I know exactly what you're talking about. Most of these do have those "cocoa" notes, but the one cigar that has always been like a bonafide chocolate bar for me is a Perdomo2 Maduro. You can find them here on Ccom, and you really, really should try it. I remember one time I went into my lounge in the States with one of those, a Godiva dark chocolate bar, and grabbed an older chocolate port - my god, it was pure bliss!
    ¨The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the sea¨ - Isak Dinesen

¨Only two people walk around in this world beardless - boys and women - and I am neither one.¨
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    danielzreyes:
    This was my first thought. Also Flore y Rodriguez Cabinet, and the Asylum vintage.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • wahooschockwahooschock Posts: 792 ✭✭✭
    Mx2 Cao. Delicious.
    I love my pack and a good community (cigars/Vape)
    "I'm at the point in my life where if it doesn't taste good,I'm not putting it in my mouth"
  • mmccartneydcmmccartneydc Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭
    wahooschock:
    Mx2 Cao. Delicious.
    +1 but if you want infused, the Natural Dirt is like sucking on a Hershey bar!
  • Edna20Edna20 Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Camacho Triple Maduro, totally blew my mind! I only catch it through the retrohale, but it's really strong compared to anything else I've smoked.
    Team O'Donnell FTW!
  • Big''nBall''nBig''nBall''n Posts: 767 ✭✭✭✭
    ya this stuff is like drinking chocolate... almost to much image
    The Names Ball'n.... Big'nBall'n! 
  • Andrew_DzikoskiAndrew_Dzikoski Posts: 381 ✭✭✭
    Perdomo habano in a maduro in the gordo size.
  • wwhwangwwhwang Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭
    Oliva G Maduro or MoW Phalanx.
  • mmccartneydcmmccartneydc Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭
    Big''nBall''n:
    I know what you mean Mike, however, it is the only shock top that I actually like. I've tried em all and this is it!
  • Big''nBall''nBig''nBall''n Posts: 767 ✭✭✭✭
    your not lying about that not a fan of shocktop
    The Names Ball'n.... Big'nBall'n! 
  • Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
    Big''nBall''n:
    I just puked a little in my mouth...
    ^Troll: DO NOT FEED.
  • youngryan216youngryan216 Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭
    You guys like to pair chocolate with smokes?

I had to share today's pair: Dairy Milk and Edmundo! Creamy and deep, roasty puffs collide with one of the smoothest chocolates I have ever tasted.
    Yesterday, I paired a Hemmingway maduro signature with a dark chocolate bar and it was divine.

However, this Cadbury Dairy Milk is soooo velvety and briefly sweetens the palate for a unique smoking experience. I have never tried eating anything while smoking before this, but wow, so tasty.

Just figured I would share.
    ISO Ramrod and Ron Mexico
  • BigshizzaBigshizza Posts: 15,644 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nub Dub box pressed...send your addy and I'll give you a couple to try.
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Of course, if you're after chocolate, Capt. Black Royal in a well broke in pipe is the way to go.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • jimmyv723jimmyv723 Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭
    Have to throw a nod out to the Tatuaje Reserva Noellas. Fantastic cigar and one of my absolute favorites.
    Ken Light 3K MOW Badge - 8/14
    2015 Gang War - East Coast
    Enola Gay - Target #29

• youngryan216youngryan216 Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭
    Lots of great ideas here. I too enjoy a "chocolate" flavor in some of my smokes. I have a 601 blue I need to bust out and I would have never thought of the Perdomo2 or Grand Hanano vintage 2002, but I will definitely try some. Thanks for the great info as always fellas.
    ISO Ramrod and Ron Mexico