Home Ratings & Reviews

Oliva Serie V Double Toro...nuf said!!!!

Good day folks.  Had the pleasure of trying for the second time, an OSV double toro that had been in my humi for about five months...It was awesome.  Started off slow and just kept building and building....nice aroma and taste, lots of woodsy spice and sweetness..maybe mocha and caramel.  At any rate it was very enjoyable with Gentleman Jack on the rocks.  I really smoked this one down to the nub...try one--again.

Comments

• laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    Hawk55:
    Good day folks.  Had the pleasure of trying for the second time, an OSV double toro that had been in my humi for about five months...It was awesome.  Started off slow and just kept building and building....nice aroma and taste, lots of woodsy spice and sweetness..maybe mocha and caramel.  At any rate it was very enjoyable with Gentleman Jack on the rocks.  I really smoked this one down to the nub...try one--again.
    I have had several of the V's in the double Toro and I think it is in this Vitola that the brand shines it's best.
    They are tasty in general, but the DT's bring out everything this stick has to offer.
    I agree they start out a little slow, but build from the start and when that sweet spot hits a couple of inches in... it is an incredible , and enjoyable long finish..
  • TatuajeVITatuajeVI Posts: 2,378
    I've got a couple Torpedos in the humi - I'll have to pick up a few double toros on your recommendation.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    laker1963:
    Hawk55:
    I have had several of the V's in the double Toro and I think it is in this Vitola that the brand shines it's best.
    They are tasty in general, but the DT's bring out everything this stick has to offer.
    I agree they start out a little slow, but build from the start and when that sweet spot hits a couple of inches in... it is an incredible , and enjoyable long finish..
    i agree with everything said here but to one minor effect...

its the second best size for this stick.

the figurado is even better. the complexity of the constantly changing wrapper to filler ratio brings it to a new level. if you can find em, buy em.
  • Hawk55Hawk55 Posts: 846
    Haven't had the pleasure of the figurado yet....Double Robusto, Torpedo, Maduro Torpedo, Churchill...I have never been disappointed with the V serie.  So until I am fortunate enuf to try the figurado...of the ones listed the Double Toro is absolutely heavenly....Never a disappointement with the Oliva Serie V. ..hey laker1963, got one laying around to send me...Big Smile [:D]
    Hawk55:
    Haven't had the pleasure of the figurado yet....Double Robusto, Torpedo, Maduro Torpedo, Churchill...I have never been disappointed with the V serie.  So until I am fortunate enuf to try the figurado...of the ones listed the Double Toro is absolutely heavenly....Never a disappointement with the Oliva Serie V. ..hey laker1963, got one laying around to send me...Big Smile [:D]
    No, sorry I don't. I actually burned thru almost a whole box before I realized that I should have put several away for some aging. There were several sent out here to BOTL here at the forums.
    NOW I would kill to have that box again...I would do things differently, I can tell you that.
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    laker1963:
    Hawk55:
    No, sorry I don't. I actually burned thru almost a whole box before I realized that I should have put several away for some aging. There were several sent out here to BOTL here at the forums.
    NOW I would kill to have that box again...I would do things differently, I can tell you that.
    The toro or the figurado? I really dig the toro. The robusto isn't bad either. Haven't had the fig though.
    kuzi16:
    laker1963:
    Hawk55:

the figurado is even better. the complexity of the constantly changing wrapper to filler ratio brings it to a new level. if you can find em, buy em.
    Kuzi, why would the fig be any better? They are the same but one has the tipped cap?
    phobicsquirrel:
    kuzi16:
    laker1963:
    Hawk55:

Kuzi, why would the fig be any better? They are the same but one has the tipped cap?
    Actually, it was interesting that Kuzi said that. I have only had the Double Toro not the Figurado, however the Figurado got a lower rating then the Double Toro in CA.
    I know that's not the final word or anything, but I thought it was interesting, Now I want to try the Figurado.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    phobicsquirrel:
    the constantly changing wrapper to filler ratio gives it an extra subtle complexity that the double toro does not have. the foot is capped in a strange way.
    check this:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/awh3/2487692187/

there is a mild taper all the way down. you can really see it when you lay it down and roll it on a table.
  • kuzi16:
    phobicsquirrel:
    the constantly changing wrapper to filler ratio gives it an extra subtle complexity that the double toro does not have. the foot is capped in a strange way.
    check this:

there is a mild taper all the way down. you can really see it when you lay it down and roll it on a table.
    Oh man I wan one....mhhhhhh...http://www.flickr.com/photos/awh3/2487692187/
    kuzi16:
    phobicsquirrel:
    check this:

thanks
    I saw the figurado at my local B&M this past weekend. Mmmm did it look delicious. $9.50 was a little steep for the price, but I may have to go grab a couple just on Kuzi's recommendation.
    TatuajeVI:
    I saw the figurado at my local B&M this past weekend. Mmmm did it look delicious. $9.50 was a little steep for the price, but I may have to go grab a couple just on Kuzi's recommendation.
    Did they have any Double Toro's? If they did, maybe you could get one of each and be the judge between the two vitola's,
  • bbc020bbc020 Posts: 1,422
    TatuajeVI:
    I'll help you justify and recommend these too. I have a couple more that have over 9 months rest. They are a solid, slow burning stick that ends strong. Great smoke.
  • Hawk55Hawk55 Posts: 846

Hey laker1963, I've enjoyed your posts for a while now and from the very beginning I noticed the comment at the bottom of your posts about being a cigar ****...never understood that until now...I've become one also.

laker1963:
    TatuajeVI:
    Did they have any Double Toro's? If they did, maybe you could get one of each and be the judge between the two vitola's,
    They do have both, laker. My problem is I would buy them both and want to let them rest for about 6-9 months - lol, what good would that do for our experiment?
    TatuajeVI:
    laker1963:
    TatuajeVI:
    They do have both, laker. My problem is I would buy them both and want to let them rest for about 6-9 months - lol, what good would that do for our experiment?
    Well for our little experiment it wouldn't help at all.

I know what the Double Toro's are like, one day I may try one of the figurado's to see if they are as good. But with a better rating then the Figurado's got and with what experience I have with the DT's I don't think the Figurado's are any better. I usually don't like Torp's as much anyway, because halfway thru each cigar you pick up bitter tastes from the restricted air flow.
    Some guys like that, but I prefer the open flow from a well cut Toro and that is the same with these DT's. I will try a "V" in the Figurado one day, to compare, but I'm already betting I will still prefer the Toro's.

At any rate, I'm betting that we will be back here talking this same stuff in about, what did you say 6 - 9 months?? LOL.