Home Non Cigar Related

Cooking on da Smoker

Decided to try my hand at smoking some poultry today. I purchased a whole split chicken. Brined in the fridge for about 12 hours. I wasn't sure if I should leave the skin on or smoke it naked so I went with both. The skin on half, I peeled the skin back and put my rub underneath. The naked half I just patted it on like I would pork or beef. For chips, I went with apple today. This is my first time using apple chips and it smells fantastic! Cranked up the smoker to about 200 degrees and set the bird on the bottom grate. I started around 10am and I'll check the internal temp around 1 or 1:30. I'm shoot for 170-180 degrees. Here is a quick peek at the progress. The coloring looks great and I'm excited to see what the finished meat taste like! Skin on the left and naked on the right.image

Comments

• danielzreyesdanielzreyes Posts: 8,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jr_p951:
    Decided to try my hand at smoking some poultry today. I purchased a whole split chicken. Brined in the fridge for about 12 hours. I wasn't sure if I should leave the skin on or smoke it naked so I went with both. The skin on half, I peeled the skin back and put my rub underneath. The naked half I just patted it on like I would pork or beef. For chips, I went with apple today. This is my first time using apple chips and it smells fantastic! Cranked up the smoker to about 200 degrees and set the bird on the bottom grate. I started around 10am and I'll check the internal temp around 1 or 1:30. I'm shoot for 170-180 degrees. Here is a quick peek at the progress. The coloring looks great and I'm excited to see what the finished meat taste like! Skin on the left and naked on the right.image
    I see that you're in Muirreta............ I'll be right over. Lol
    "It's plume, bro. Nothing to worry about. Got any Opus?" The suppose to be DZR
  • MESKCMESKC Posts: 213 ✭✭
    apple chips are one of my fav. I use it for pork and chicken. I use a mix apple and pecan for beef.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Lookin good Jr. For some really moist chicken, get a whole bird and smoke it with a can of beer or soda up the cavity, it turns out really good.
  • ENFIDLENFIDL Posts: 5,836
    Looks great man. Drooling on the keyboard lol
  • KriegerKrieger Posts: 337
    j0z3r:
    Lookin good Jr. For some really moist chicken, get a whole bird and smoke it with a can of beer or soda up the cavity, it turns out really good.
    Say what? lmao looks freakin delicious.
  • The_KidThe_Kid Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭
    Good day for smokin today,,I made about 2.5 lbs of jerky, a pork roast, few drumsticks and a couple brats.. Good Day! Though I think I over smoked the Pork Roast. I was using traeger pellets in my Smoke Vault and wasnt sure how much to use, wasnt even sure if they were gonna work. Well they worked and they put out a hell of alot a smoke for a helluva long time. Will definately scale back next time. Happy they work though!!!
  • Big''nBall''nBig''nBall''n Posts: 767 ✭✭✭✭
    I can almost smell it yum
    The Names Ball'n.... Big'nBall'n! 
  • Jetmech_63Jetmech_63 Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭
    Going to smoke 3 chickens today and have a few friends over. Updates and pics throughout the day!
    Use carne asada for the jerky, its lean enough, not too bad a price point and its cut thin so it makes prep work easy. I use mesquite chips, maintain a constant 225 and no water pan. The key is a good brine , this time I used a new one,, wasnt bad but wasnt great.
    photo 20150104_131550.jpg
    photo 20150103_132317.jpg
    photo 20150103_172207.jpg
    Started with 3 chickens brined in 2 gallons of water, 2 cups kosher salt and 2 cups sugar for 5 hours. Took them out, patted dry and put on a basic brown sugar rub(brown sugar, salt, paprika, celery seed, onion powder, garlic powder and cumin).photo A6CD26EE-4EFA-40B6-ADFF-C1A17DE084A0.jpgThen into the smoker(Masterbuilt Elite Sportsman propane) at 250 degrees with apple, pecan and alder wood. *** side down, will revisit and flip in 2 hrs photo 2A92DDD8-24FF-4B23-9112-0D503433AA56.jpg
  • jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looking good Vinny & Rudy ^^^^^^^

You guys are making me hungry!!

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

After 3 hours flipped them *** side up and added a few more handfuls of woodphoto 512E64C8-79FA-4515-A413-F1EE281FFC93.jpg
    Jetmech_63:
    After 3 hours flipped them *** side up and added a few more handfuls of woodphoto 512E64C8-79FA-4515-A413-F1EE281FFC93.jpg
    Looks yummy, Pecan is a wood I havent ever worked with. I noticed your smoker appears to not have any vents????
  • matkn293matkn293 Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just heated up some wings I had left over from a smoke session a couple months ago. Still as good as they were out of the smoker. Anyone ever use cherry wood? That is my main goto with a bit of apple in there from time to time. How did the birds turn out?

Life is too short to smoke bad cigars!!!

Oh when the Blues, Oh when the Blues, Oh when the Blues go marching in!

matkn293:
    Just heated up some wings I had left over from a smoke session a couple months ago. Still as good as they were out of the smoker. Anyone ever use cherry wood? That is my main goto with a bit of apple in there from time to time. How did the birds turn out?
    Ive used cherry and plum, havent tried apricot or peach. I use mostly alder, hickory, mequite and apple.
    Yea I reheated one of the drumsticks today in the oven,, and that smoky flavor still there and wonderful!

He's probably chowing down on em right now ;o)
    I did a 12 turkey for thanksgiving along with a 12 traditional style in the oven. The smoked bird was gone way before the traditional. I will def be doing that again. It was delicious.

matkn293:
    I did a 12 turkey for thanksgiving along with a 12 traditional style in the oven. The smoked bird was gone way before the traditional. I will def be doing that again. It was delicious.
    haha Good Job!!! have you ever deep fried one? Those are absolutely fantastic!
  • bandyt09bandyt09 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭✭✭
    matkn293:
    I did a 10 lb Maple Bourbon brined turkey on the Traeger for Thanksgiving, I could swear it was gone before I got done carving. Luckily for me, I was stealing pieces while carving.
    Finished Product! Brining is the way to go!!photo 3E619300-C155-4524-94AC-CF84FD49E8B4.jpg
    bandyt09:
    matkn293:
    I did a 10 lb Maple Bourbon brined turkey on the Traeger for Thanksgiving, I could swear it was gone before I got done carving. Luckily for me, I was stealing pieces while carving.
    lol
    Jetmech_63:
    Finished Product! Brining is the way to go!!photo 3E619300-C155-4524-94AC-CF84FD49E8B4.jpg
    Mouth is watering!

The Kid:
    matkn293:
    haha Good Job!!! have you ever deep fried one? Those are absolutely fantastic!
    I have had fried turkey but never actually done one. It is good.

• BigshizzaBigshizza Posts: 15,644 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Damn that looks great
  • ddubridgeddubridge Posts: 3,978 ✭✭✭
    Smoked these bad boys new years day