Home Cigar 101

Cigars still crack and unravel

I'm fairly new to cigars but have enjoyed them for several years. I bought myself a 100 count humi for Christmas [seasoned it according to instructions] and filled it with Rocky Patel ITC 10th aniversary specials and fusions and Perdomos and Bahia Blus and a sample box of Nubs [can't wait for them to set a couple of weeks]. I've put a jar of beads and a humidifier that I add some distilled water to and 2 analog hygrometers that I calibrated to keep the humidity at about 70%. My problem is that about 1 in 5 cigars will crack or come unraveled when I smoke them. What can I do to prevent this or is this normal?  This my 1st post and I enjoy reading the other posts while in the MAN HOLE [as my wife calls it] smoking a good cigar.

Comments

• dutyjedutyje Posts: 2,263
    You're probably cutting the whole cap off the cigar. Don't cut so much off. As far as the humidifier, if you're just putting in plain distilled water, you're going to have problems. Don't do that.
  • duty--I use distilled water on the foam pad and 50-50 solution in the jar. am I doing the right thing?
  • I should also say that the cracks are up about half way on the stick.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    I think your humidity is too high. When a cigar cracks like that, it can often be traced back to a level of humidity that is too high as the excess moisture in the cigar causes the tobacco to swell as it is heated and the wrapper cannot stretch enough to accommodate that. I'd recommend getting a digital hygrometer that can be trusted and using the 50/50 solution on your foam pad, that will help keep the humidity in check.
  • vankleekkwvankleekkw Posts: 404
    Also, let the humidor sit for a couple days to stabilize. Don't get in the trap of checking it every couple hours because that will keep it from getting to a stable spot.

One other important factor is that if the humidy in the ambient air is much different than your humidor, you may want to let the smokes sit for an hour or two before lighting. The differential could cause the stick to split.
    bwcarter54:
    duty--I use distilled water on the foam pad and 50-50 solution in the jar. am I doing the right thing?
    No... I haven't used the jars, but I believe some of those are meant to just take plain distilled water. The foam pad, on the other hand, is supposed to take PG solution (at least the first time). You can re-charge it with distilled water, but using water right out of the gate will cause your humidity to be too high. This will, as has been pointed out, cause your cigars to swell, and the wrapper to crack.
  • Thats must be it. I recalibrated my hygrometer and it was off by 5 points since christmas. I'll get a digatal. I took the foam pad out and just using the jar. I'll check humidity in the morning then time will tell about the cracking. Thanks man.
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    j0z3r:
    I think your humidity is too high. When a cigar cracks like that, it can often be traced back to a level of humidity that is too high as the excess moisture in the cigar causes the tobacco to swell as it is heated and the wrapper cannot stretch enough to accommodate that. I'd recommend getting a digital hygrometer that can be trusted and using the 50/50 solution on your foam pad, that will help keep the humidity in check.
    interesting, I thought it was if it was too low.. cool good to know.
  • JKTexJKTex Posts: 92
    Ditto on a digital hygometer!!!

I'm using a 50/50 and still am about 3-5% too high and have about a 2% difference from the top above the shelf and bottom.  I'll check every few days and it's almost always 2% lower on bottom, which in my case is good. 

I'm trying to get the humidifier dried out a little which is working as it's down 1% or so, but I'm learning I need to get it down to < 70% I think.  2 sticks that I have on the top shelf split or as I'd describe, burst on me.  1 was very, very slight but it did.
    I keep my humidor at a steady 65% and have no issues. When I tried to keep it around 70% I had tunnelling, cracking, explosions, hard draws, etc...

Do yourself a favor and drop down to 65%, you won't be disappointed.
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    wow, my humi goes between 68 - 72 and I haven't had any cracking or anything. I for some reason can't get 64 or 64. I have more than enough beads but just can't get that low. maybe I need 60% beads. On another note, I got a pamplet in a cigar order that said cracking occurs from too low RH. I wonder how accurate that is since I think most of you know your sh*t......
    You can get cracking at a low rH or a high rH. The swelling/bursting is real. I've never had any problems in my desktop humi, other than it running too dry once we crank the heat up in the winter. I've snice found a magical spot in my house that alleviates those problems, and also promises to work well during the summer months. This spot has been running a steady 69-71 degrees ever since I started tracking it. I have 4 larger thermometer/hygros that I got cheap on-line a couple years ago when we bought our piano. I wanted to make sure the piano was kept in a stable environment. I've been using the others to track and adjust the heating/cooling systems around the house.
  • Hey van-that is exactly my problem.  The cracks occur while I'm smoking. I do believe my rh was to high. I'm going lower. Hate those tight draws.
    phobicsquirrel:
    wow, my humi goes between 68 - 72 and I haven't had any cracking or anything. I for some reason can't get 64 or 64. I have more than enough beads but just can't get that low. maybe I need 60% beads. On another note, I got a pamplet in a cigar order that said cracking occurs from too low RH. I wonder how accurate that is since I think most of you know your sh*t......
    How do you fill your beads? I have a spray bottle to mist the beads. My humi stays steady at 65 for weeks before I have to fill them again. You should never soak the beads because they will crack if oversaturated.
  • madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    However cracked beads still work just fine, its just an annoyance thing. When you crack them they will "shed"(for lack of a better word) all over the place.
    yeah... bead shrapnel all over the humidor. It really can't be avoided very easily.
  • bwcarter54bwcarter54 Posts: 142
    Just an update. Got a digital hygrometer. Threw the foam humidifier out and kept just the gel in the jar. Now the humidty is 68% and I haven't had a plugged cigar or a cracked one or one that unravels on me since. Just wanted to say thanks to Joz, Urbi, Maduro, Duty and all you guys who give us newbies good solid advice. I really enjoy reading the forums in here. Learned alot. Thanks.
    No problem.. They did the same for me. Glad to hear everything is in order!
  • Sometimes they just unravel a bit. I got a fresh cigar from a B&M store that I have never had problems with, and once I had a cigar unravel. The guy working at the time replaced the cigar with one from the same box (literally, the next one), and it didn't crack. I've seen some unraveling, and one thing I would recommend is a methylcellulose based adhesive (I get can pharmaceutical grade stuff from work). Adding a little water to the powder yields a completely flavorless and non-toxic (cellulose is what's in plants anyways) glue to just wrap up the cracks. I haven't used it to store a smoke for a long time, but it has done a great job for patching up a crack for later in the week. You can get methylcellulose glue from some art stores, but I'm not sure how "clean" it is (I've used it with no complaints). It doesn't have any flavor (from my experiences), and it does a much better patch job than saliva.
  • Hawk55Hawk55 Posts: 846
    Do you have to use fifty/fifty solution? Can you use fifty/fifty solution after using distilled water on the foam pads? Will i run into problems only using distilled water? HELP!!!
    Hawk55:
    Do you have to use fifty/fifty solution? Can you use fifty/fifty solution after using distilled water on the foam pads? Will i run into problems only using distilled water? HELP!!!
    The only problem with just using distilled water on the foam pad is that there is nothing to keep the humidity in check...water is 100% humid, so using only water will cause your humidity level to rise and rise. What the 50/50 does is effectively cap how high the humidity will climb due to the addition of the propylene glycol. It should be said also that you can't use only 50/50 on the foam, this will cause an accumulation of PG in the foam and it will no longer absorb water. Having said that, the thing to do is to use the PG solution the first time, then use plain distilled water after that....when you notice that your humidity is starting to climb instead of leveling off at ~70%, then it's time to use the PG solution again....repeat that process and your humidity should stay in check.

Another thing worth mentioning is the use of humidity beads, I'm sure you've seen talk of them on the forum. Basically they come in different formulations (60%, 65%, 70%) to hold different levels of humidity. They are a more stable, reliable and permanent solution to maintaining humidity in your humidor when compared to the foam puck.
  • LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    GOD DAMNNIT!!!

I started reading this thread and got a HUGE Chubby seeing Duty and Maddy back in action on this thread! I was all like "Holy crap!!! Everyone came back all at once!!!"

Now here I'm sitting with wood and realize it's a friggin' old thread....

Bastiches!
    lol. I kinda did the same thing, but as I was reading I started thinking "it seems like I've read this post before".
  • HaysHays Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭
    Lasabar:
    GOD DAMNNIT!!!

I started reading this thread and got a HUGE Chubby seeing Duty and Maddy back in action on this thread! I was all like "Holy crap!!! Everyone came back all at once!!!"

Bastiches!
    By god I just guffawed so heartily that my posterior separated from my body...
    ¨The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the sea¨ - Isak Dinesen

¨Only two people walk around in this world beardless - boys and women - and I am neither one.¨
    Hays:
    Lasabar:
    GOD DAMNNIT!!!

Bastiches!
    Sum that up in five letters. L M F A O
    j0z3r:
    Hays:
    Lasabar:
    GOD DAMNNIT!!!

Bastiches!

Yes I very well could have said that, but I've been reading Sherlock Holmes lately and my speech has lent itself to a bit more flowery nature.

Actually I read that in a joke or something and I thought it was funny... ;-)

¨Only two people walk around in this world beardless - boys and women - and I am neither one.¨
    j0z3r:
    Hays:
    Lasabar:
    GOD DAMNNIT!!!

Bastiches!
    And if anything, it'd probably be OMG LMAO... ;-)