Home Pipes

Newbie guide to pipe smoking?

flowbeeflowbee Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭
I have been around a few of my customers who smoke pipes, some of the aromas are incredible. I ask you guys; how do you smoke a pipe and what is a good way to get started?

Comments

• I still have a pipe...start with a inexpensive briarcliff pipe, captain black is a good commercial pipe tobacco, get a pipe tool I can get you addicted to that too...I haven't smoked a pipe in a while...it takes time and patience...
  • flowbeeflowbee Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭
    cirino_sesto:
    I still have a pipe...start with a inexpensive briarcliff pipe, captain black is a good commercial pipe tobacco, get a pipe tool I can get you addicted to that too...I haven't smoked a pipe in a while...it takes time and patience...
    Whats a pipe tool?
  • onestrangeoneonestrangeone Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cobs are a good way to try it without spending a lot. A pipe nail or a three in one tool are cheap as well, you use the "tamper" to restrict the airflow thu the bowl from time to time to help it burn a little better. A lot of people seem to start out with the aromatics. Just like cigars you probably want to start with something mild, Drew Estates Toasted Black Cavendish fits the bill and has a good flavor and great aroma.
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Read the "Pipe Tips for Cigar Guys" thread, lots of stuff there.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • roland_7707roland_7707 Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭
    Got a cob and some Borkum Riff Original yesterday. I really like it.
    One God, One Truth
  • flowbeeflowbee Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭
    Thanks Guys!! I appreciate the help
    There is a lot if tobacco shapes, ribbon cut, cube, rope, etc. I wonder if Sean could make a video if how to cut or pack each type.
    One God, One Truth
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 239
    That would be a great idea, I'll bring it up to the team!
    Brilliant!
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Big''nBall''nBig''nBall''n Posts: 767 ✭✭✭✭
    Corn Cob and small amounts "1/2oz or smaller" of tobacco to really expand your tastes. learn to smoke right you tube. blends that are good to start with 1Q, frog Morton's to name acouple
    The Names Ball'n.... Big'nBall'n! 
    I found a place that has small "taster" pipes for about 0.85 cents a piece. They only hold a very small amount, and if I had more than one kind of tobacco, or if the store offered samples, they would be great.
    One God, One Truth
  • RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    Da fuq? Do I just break it up?imageimage
    Rain:
    Da fuq? Do I just break it up?imageimage
    First, do not try to convince your wife it's beef jerky.

No, really, JS knows more about this. Me, I've tried folding it and inserting then applying pressure with my thumb, chopping it into small cubes, but I've had the best luck folding it once or twice, then rubbing it between thumb and fingers in a twisting motion until it reaches a consistency that looks "right" to me. Works pretty well.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 239
    flake can be cube cut, I find that works the best, some folks like the Z method, where you fold it long ways like an accordion until it makes "z" then fold it short ways and then pack it in the pipe. Try a few ways and see what works best for you. Also, go on you tube and check out some of the flake how to videos, there are quite a few different methods to try.
  • J.S.J.S. Posts: 754
    Amos and Sean both have good ways of doing it. I would say that if you cube cut it just to gravity fill it don't push down on it at all and only tamp when you cannot get the pipe to stay lit. Folding works too and it will smoke forever but the flavor, at least to me, is milder then if broken up. I like to rub mine out like Amos indicated, or if I am in the mood and feel like playing with my tobacco, I will pull it off in ribbons but I always end up rubbing at least some of the thicker chucks up. I also think it smokes easier if you put the finer dust on the top. Makes for an easy light.