Home General Discussion

Candela Shelf Life?

Puff_DougiePuff_Dougie Posts: 4,599 ✭✭✭✭✭
Picked up a Rocky Patel Edge Candela at the local B&M last week. I've heard that candelas should be smoked sooner rather than later because they tend to dry out if they sit too long. Is this true? How long should you let a candela rest?
"When I have found intense pain relieved, a weary brain soothed, and calm, refreshing sleep obtained by a cigar, I have felt grateful to God, and have blessed His name." - Charles Haddon Spurgeon

Comments

• 90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Puff_Dougie:
    Picked up a Rocky Patel Edge Candela at the local B&M last week. I've heard that candelas should be smoked sooner rather than later because they tend to dry out if they sit too long. Is this true? How long should you let a candela rest?
    Not that I've ever known. They tend to be a bit more mild so like a Connie if you put extreme age on it tends to become so mild that you lose what made it special. I don't think you will have any issues so long as you smoke it within the next decade ;)
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • youngryan216youngryan216 Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭
    Let us know what you thought when you blaze it up. Sounds really interesting. I didn't even know Rocky did candelas.
    ISO Ramrod and Ron Mexico
  • amz1301amz1301 Posts: 1,299
    I have one LFD and one Illusione 888 candela that are pretty old. They don't seem dried out at all. Seems like the green has faded a lot though, especially the LFD.
  • Puff_DougiePuff_Dougie Posts: 4,599 ✭✭✭✭✭
    youngryan216:
    Let us know what you thought when you blaze it up. Sounds really interesting. I didn't even know Rocky did candelas.
    Will do, once this dang polar vortex breaks!
    "When I have found intense pain relieved, a weary brain soothed, and calm, refreshing sleep obtained by a cigar, I have felt grateful to God, and have blessed His name." - Charles Haddon Spurgeon
  • ddubridgeddubridge Posts: 3,978 ✭✭✭
    amz1301:
    I have one LFD and one Illusione 888 candela that are pretty old. They don't seem dried out at all. Seems like the green has faded a lot though, especially the LFD.
    They do seem to fade over time, but I haven't noticed any ill affects. I had a new and year old BMFH around last St. Patties day and they tasted about the same. Didn't seem dry at all.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    As long as they are in a humidor they won't dry. They will do want every other cigar does: continue to ferment and break down and generally age. This is why they lose the green color. They do tend to start out a bit more mild and therefore may lose too much time so I would still smoke sooner rather than later.
  • ShadowInTheMoonShadowInTheMoon Posts: 507 ✭✭
    Puff_Dougie:
    youngryan216:
    Will do, once this dang polar vortex breaks!
    What polar vortex... i rode my motorcycle today
    Two people with a common goal can accomplish many things. Two people with a common enemy can accomplish even more.
  • J.S.J.S. Posts: 754
    I don't smoke a lot of candelas, just don't care for them . . . for lack of a better term the taste reminds me of chlorophyll (same taste as chewing a piece of grass) in the background. Just me. However, that flavor is tamed at the 3 yr. mark. So if you like candelas I would smoke it before then or what you like about them may change.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    J.S.:
    I don't smoke a lot of candelas, just don't care for them . . . for lack of a better term the taste reminds me of chlorophyll (same taste as chewing a piece of grass) in the background. Just me. However, that flavor is tamed at the 3 yr. mark. So if you like candelas I would smoke it before then or what you like about them may change.
    I do agree with this. But every now and again that's the flavor I'm looking for. Can't find it anywhere but a candela.