Home General Discussion

Humidiy issue

LiquidChaos66LiquidChaos66 Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭✭
So I hate sounding like a broke record... I wiped down my humi couple weeks ago sides, bottom and seals. Its not holding humidity worth beans! My Heartfelt beads (65%) and a small Dr. RH Jar used to keep it happy and steady at 64-65% I find myself having to soak down half of my bead sticks every few days... It hasn't been exceptionally dry in our parts recently and temps aren't too bad. But its always 68-7y3 degrees in my house. Am I going to have to throw a cup of distilled water in my humi in place of my Dr. RH Jar to keep it level?
Life is like a blind fiver. You never know what you're gonna get.

Comments

• 90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Shot glass of distiller water. Leave it for a few weeks and slowly over time the drier cedar and sticks will soak it up. Even if you have to do that long term it's a simple and easy solution I think.
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • rsherman24rsherman24 Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Switch to a cooler. I have abandoned my wood humi's for this reason. High in summer and low in winter. Got sick of chasing them
  • LiquidChaos66LiquidChaos66 Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭✭
    I think that's my solution then. Good thing I have almost a full gallon of distilled water just hangin around my house. lol
    rsherman24:
    Switch to a cooler. I have abandoned my wood humi's for this reason. High in summer and low in winter. Got sick of chasing them

I love my humi though! lol coolers aren't as pretty lol
    Stupid question time... Will the position in the humi of the shot glass matter?
  • 90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    LiquidChaos66:
    Stupid question time... Will the position in the humi of the shot glass matter?
    If possible and if the humi is dual leveled or more out at top since the heavier higher saturated in water air will fall.
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • ddubridgeddubridge Posts: 3,978 ✭✭✭
    There are also about 5 billion threads in 101 that talk about this.
    ddubridge:

yeah... but this I can track info in easier. having to read through other peoples jabbering sometimes gets me confused... OR im just lazy and like having my own threads. :) lol
    PLUS my situation is different... They are all having "Humidity" problems... Im having an issue with my "Humidiy" Totally different... ;)
  • jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    LiquidChaos66:
    So I hate sounding like a broke record... I wiped down my humi couple weeks ago sides, bottom and seals. Its not holding humidity worth beans! My Heartfelt beads (65%) and a small Dr. RH Jar used to keep it happy and steady at 64-65% I find myself having to soak down half of my bead sticks every few days... It hasn't been exceptionally dry in our parts recently and temps aren't too bad. But its always 68-7y3 degrees in my house. Am I going to have to throw a cup of distilled water in my humi in place of my Dr. RH Jar to keep it level?
    1) when was the last time you seasoned the humi?

2a) digital or analog hygrometer?
    2b) when was the last time you checked it's calibration?

3) is the humi stored near anything that could be causing it to "dry out" quicker. i.e. near a heat register, in direct sunlight, etc.

4) have you added, or removed a significant amount of cigars recently?

5) approx how full is your humi by volume?

6) has the weather turned colder during this time period and have you noticed your furnace running more often than it was prior to these problems?

7) yes you can add a dish of distilled water to the humi if you're having trouble maintaining RH. (but do not remove the other humidification sources)

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

ddubridge:
    5,000,000,003 to be precise ;-) ;-) ;-)

jgibv:
    ddubridge:
    5,000,000,003 to be precise ;-) ;-) ;-)

LMAO!!!! :)
    jgibv:
    LiquidChaos66:
    1) when was the last time you seasoned the humi?

2a) digital or analog hygrometer?
    2b) when was the last time you checked it's calibration?

3) is the humi stored near anything that could be causing it to "dry out" quicker. i.e. near a heat register, in direct sunlight, etc.

4) have you added, or removed a significant amount of cigars recently?

5) approx how full is your humi by volume?

6) has the weather turned colder during this time period and have you noticed your furnace running more often than it was prior to these problems?

7) yes you can add a dish of distilled water to the humi if you're having trouble maintaining RH. (but do not remove the other humidification sources)

1 - I officially seasoned it when I bought it last year. I do a regular cigar check/wipe down with distilled water ever month and a half-ish to two.
    2 - It is a digital hygrometer and it was last calibrated with a calibration packet 6 months ago
    3 - Humi is placed towards the middle of the house. the home has all new vinyl windows, no direct night at all (blackout curtains in my bedroom) and is about 8 feet away from my hear register in that room.
    4 - Nope... no more than 5-8 in or out at a time.
    5 - Its about 75% full and has stayed pretty darn close since I have had it
    6 - It has gotten cold but nothing drastic since we moved in... which the problem has been happening since we got into the new house. I haven't had a stable period of time with it since the move.
    7 - yay!!!
    There was a new furnace installed before we moved in. It has a drip bucket condensation and moisture drains into... our last system didn't have that. The bucket gets drained every week... maybe a gallon or two depending on how much its raining outside. maybe its that.
    LiquidChaos66:
    6 - It has gotten cold but nothing drastic since we moved in... which the problem has been happening since we got into the new house. I haven't had a stable period of time with it since the move.
    7 - yay!!!
    LiquidChaos66:
    There was a new furnace installed before we moved in. It has a drip bucket condensation and moisture drains into... our last system didn't have that. The bucket gets drained every week... maybe a gallon or two depending on how much its raining outside. maybe its that.
    Hmm. Then since everything else is equal it sounds like either

1) something happened during the move ...
    i.e. humi got dried out, hygrometer got bumped & out of whack, etc.

or 2) the new furnace/ambient air in the new house is drier than the old house and is sucking the moisture out of the wood
    if you have gas heat in the new place and electric heat before that could be the difference.

regardless, i would suggest doing a proper re-seasoning of the humi in it's new environment (not just wiping it down) ... and also re-calibrating the hygrometer.
    don't rush it on either of those things. keep the cigars in a tupperware or ziploc in the mean time with some boveda packs
    (you probably know how to do them but if not do a search as there's tons of threads on those topics already & i'm not going to junk up this thread with all that info.)

after it's reaseasoned and re-calibrated give it 2-3 weeks to settle and see where the RH ends up.

then decide if you need to add additional humidification (dish of distilled water) or even a room humidifier in the space where the humi's stored. but re-season & re-calibrate or else you'll just be fighting a losing battle

So with a large boveda pack 65% how many sticks can I keep in a one gallon ziplock?
  • rsherman24rsherman24 Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭✭✭
    LiquidChaos66:
    rsherman24:

I love my humi though! lol coolers aren't as pretty lol

You will get over that. Can't smoke "Pretty". I keep a small 20-30 count humi for stuff I want to smoke soon. Everything else is in a cooler.
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    LiquidChaos66:
    So with a large boveda pack 65% how many sticks can I keep in a one gallon ziplock?
    Fill 'er up. I think one "regular" Boveda is plenty enough for a gallon ziplock.
    Cool cool! :) might end up doin that next month... ive blown a lot of money on stuff this month. lol