Home General Discussion

Have any of you ever considered...

jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
.....buying only your favorite cigar? For what ever reason.

It crossed my mind repeatedly while I was stuck in bed and I am still thinking about it.

Comments

• catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    No, but buying 6 boxes of it, yes. If I only had one, it would be an easy choice. You could give me 100 boxes of several different habanos and I would be happy smoking them forever.
  • Puff_DougiePuff_Dougie Posts: 4,599 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do you mean picking a favorite stick and buying only that cigar forever? Can't say I've ever considered that. It would be hard to pick a favorite that I would want to smoke exclusively, and I like having a variety of cigars for different occasions, times of day, moods, etc.

Out of curiosity though... what stick would that be for you?
    "When I have found intense pain relieved, a weary brain soothed, and calm, refreshing sleep obtained by a cigar, I have felt grateful to God, and have blessed His name." - Charles Haddon Spurgeon
  • catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    You could give me a lifetime supply of Upmann no 2 or Monte 2 and id be happy.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    jd50ae:

It crossed my mind repeatedly while I was stuck in bed and I am still thinking about it.
    yeah... but ten i realize if i had done that over the years i would be stuck with tons on cigars that i now no longer love with the same fervor that i used to. i have always enjoyed the variety. even though i do buy plenty of boxes now i still buy lots of singles and i love the trades.

• StubbleStubble Posts: 8,177 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm married and faithful to one woman...cigars, I'm gonna try them all.
    Hey, you gonna eat the rest of that corndog?
  • ShadowInTheMoonShadowInTheMoon Posts: 507 ✭✭
    I feel like if i did that the cigar would get old after a while. Like if the only thing you ate ever was pancakes they would get old and bland tasting. Its the variety that that keeps me coming back to my favorite.
    Two people with a common goal can accomplish many things. Two people with a common enemy can accomplish even more.
  • LiquidChaos66LiquidChaos66 Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭✭
    Stubble:

^this. :)
    Life is like a blind fiver. You never know what you're gonna get.
  • Dark_RoastDark_Roast Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭
    I have way to many to try to think I have a favorite. I am sure there are some that have decided, but not me.
  • 90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    LiquidChaos66:
    Stubble:

^this. :)
    You are my hero Steve. That is all.
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • thehilkthehilk Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭
    Stubble:
    Well played sir!
  • ChemnitzChemnitz Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭
    Signature worthy...
  • jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Puff_Dougie:
    Do you mean picking a favorite stick and buying only that cigar forever? Can't say I've ever considered that. It would be hard to pick a favorite that I would want to smoke exclusively, and I like having a variety of cigars for different occasions, times of day, moods, etc.

Out of curiosity though... what stick would that be for you?

Well. I guess I will make a cup of coffee and light up a Cinco Vegas Gold and think about it.
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jd50ae:

I do go on kicks where I only buy certain cigars in boxes.
    Singles or 5 packs is a different story. I tend to buy what ever I'm in the mood for at the time and what deals are available.
    But buying the same boxes doesn't usually last long until something else catches my eye.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I believe that George Burns basically did this. I think he smoked Palma Reals exclusively, or at least only bought those and smoked others as gifts. Smoked several a day. I saw an interview with him a long time ago and he was talking about it. It may have been a different cigar, but I really think that was it. Wouldn't work for me, I like too many different ones.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    Amos Umwhat:
    I believe that George Burns basically did this. I think he smoked Palma Reals exclusively, or at least only bought those and smoked others as gifts. Smoked several a day. I saw an interview with him a long time ago and he was talking about it. It may have been a different cigar, but I really think that was it. Wouldn't work for me, I like too many different ones.
    Burn's favorite cigar was the El Producto Queen.. He said he smoked between ten and fifteen a day, he was so fond of " His little Lady" because he loved the taste, they stayed lit on stage, and he got them for free. Good reason right there.
  • HaysHays Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭
    I haven´t considered staying strictly to ONE cigar, but my end-goal is to primarily buy a range of only 5-10 cigars (in box quantity, that is), comprising my favorites that apply to a variety of moods. That´s not to say that I wouldn´t keep a handful of singles or 5pks around, but not boxes of tons of different cigars.
    ¨The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the sea¨ - Isak Dinesen

¨Only two people walk around in this world beardless - boys and women - and I am neither one.¨
  • 90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hays:
    I haven´t considered staying strictly to ONE cigar, but my end-goal is to primarily buy a range of only 5-10 cigars (in box quantity, that is), comprising my favorites that apply to a variety of moods. That´s not to say that I wouldn´t keep a handful of singles or 5pks around, but not boxes of tons of different cigars.
    This. Exactly this, I'm on the same page and mindset for down the road. Right now happy with going all over the place but already when I buy its only from a handful of brands that I know I love instead of being adventurous anymore.
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • rsherman24rsherman24 Posts: 6,736 ✭✭✭✭✭
    kaspera79:
    Amos Umwhat:
    Burn's favorite cigar was the El Producto Queen.. He said he smoked between ten and fifteen a day, he was so fond of " His little Lady" because he loved the taste, they stayed lit on stage, and he got them for free. Good reason right there.

In the Nat Sherman Townhouse in NY there are a couple letters from Burns framed on the wall. They must have sent him some cigars to try and asked to promote their brand. One was from Burns thanking them for the cigars and how much he liked them. Other was from his people that Mr. Burns smokes El Producto Queen exclusively and that he gets 20 or 30 boxes of these cigars every month.
  • youngryan216youngryan216 Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭
    For a few years, when I was in college, I bought and smoked AF Hemmingways exclusively. I just knew that I only had a tiny cigar budget, and I never wanted to be disappointed. I still love 'em, but I can't imagine life without maddies and connies now.
    ISO Ramrod and Ron Mexico
  • The3StogiesThe3Stogies Posts: 2,652 ✭✭✭✭
    I would have a hard time picking a favorite but if I was limited to only one I guess would be happy only if there were no other choices. But as long as there are choices, or cigars I haven't tried, I would probably wonder if I am missing something spectacular. I have favorites but always want to try something new too but there are so many of them. Every Jan I look at my COTMC and think of canceling it but don't because I get cigars that I usually haven't tried and don't have to pick myself. I have a hard time picking cigars I haven't tried so I let them do it, lol. Once you stop trying new things you stop learning and growing.
    Love the marriage analogy but that is a different commitment as you change and grow together throughout your life.
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    kaspera79:
    Amos Umwhat:
    Yeah, that sounds like it! I couldn't remember for sure, been a long time since I saw that interview.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • brianetz1brianetz1 Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭
    In one word, no. I like the variety. Even if i could afford to buy nothing but AF Anjeo for the rest of my life, i think i would get bored with it. I like the multiple flavor profiles of different cigars. I like the idea that i get to try the new cigars coming out and look for new flavor combinations.