Home Cigar 101

Chancellor 300 Count Glass Top Cigar Humidor

Retircs1Retircs1 Posts: 453
image hey Guy's I am thinking of getting one of these what do you all think? and if so how would you season it ? thank you

Comments

• avengethisavengethis Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Retircs1:
    image hey Guy's I am thinking of getting one of these what do you all think? and if so how would you season it ? thank you
    Looks pretty darn cool. My concern would be all the glass panels could be a nightmare with sealing it up and maintaining humidity. If I bought this I would probably take some time before seasoning and go run a nice clean bead of silicone around each of the glass panels to help eliminate any seal issues there.

As far as seasoning I would do it just like any humidor. With its size I would probably run 2 boveda seasoning packs or 1 pack and a couple shot glasses of distilled water.
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

"I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke ever last one of 'em." - Ron White
  • Retircs1Retircs1 Posts: 453
    avengethis:
    Retircs1:
    Looks pretty darn cool. My concern would be all the glass panels could be a nightmare with sealing it up and maintaining humidity. If I bought this I would probably take some time before seasoning and go run a nice clean bead of silicone around each of the glass panels to help eliminate any seal issues there.

As far as seasoning I would do it just like any humidor. With its size I would probably run 2 boveda seasoning packs or 1 pack and a couple shot glasses of distilled water.
    ok the silicone on the outside of the glass or inside ?
    Retircs1:
    avengethis:
    Retircs1:

ok the silicone on the outside of the glass or inside ?
    Well I would do it on the inside just so you don't have nasty silicone lines running all over the glass on the outside. Take your time with this though to make sure you get a nice even bead and also so you don't make a mess. Also after applying I would leave the top open for a few days to a week just to let it dry and air out very well as to make sure there are no fumes left.
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

"I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke ever last one of 'em." - Ron White
    ok do you recommend any specific silicone for this?
    Uhhh let me dig out what I found and I'll get back to you.
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

Team O'Donnell FTW!

• EulogyEulogy Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like the look of glass top humidors, but I know the sun is not a cigars friend. If I were to buy another humidor, I'd go with a large dome top model.
  • ddubridgeddubridge Posts: 3,978 ✭✭✭
    I have the same humi and I love it. It has the normal humidity/temp swings with the season, but all in all stays pretty steady. Mine will blow the hydrometer out of the front it you close it to fast. I'm pretty sure my came with pre-sealed glass.

Since they don't sell this particular humi here I will tell you the best deal I found was on Amazon. I don't think it was listed under that name. It did ship without a scratch. It was pack very nicely. If you would like I could check at home to see who the supplier was at that time.

As far a seasoning goes, I would follow the catfish seasoning thread. This is how I seasoned mine and it worked great. That is also a great thread if you have question about the process itself. Happy hunting!!!
    Eulogy:
    I like the look of glass top humidors, but I know the sun is not a cigars friend. If I were to buy another humidor, I'd go with a large dome top model.
    Yeah this is my other concern. However I keep mine in an area that doesn't get direct sunlight at all so if you keep it in mind you should be ok.
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

ddubridge:
    I have the same humi and I love it. It has the normal humidity/temp swings with the season, but all in all stays pretty steady. Mine will blow the hydrometer out of the front it you close it to fast. I'm pretty sure my came with pre-sealed glass.

Since they don't sell this particular humi here I will tell you the best deal I found was on Amazon. I don't think it was listed under that name. It did ship without a scratch. It was pack very nicely. If you would like I could check at home to see who the supplier was at that time.

As far a seasoning goes, I would follow the catfish seasoning thread. This is how I seasoned mine and it worked great. That is also a great thread if you have question about the process itself. Happy hunting!!!
    ddubridge please do send it . thank you all
  • ddubridgeddubridge Posts: 3,978 ✭✭✭
    Retircs1:
    ddubridge:

ddubridge please do send it . thank you all
    I'll check tonight.
  • CigaryCigary Posts: 630
    Not trying to talk you out of something you seem to have your heart set on but I've never had good luck with any glass top humidor unless you set it up in a 70/70 environment in the first place. Glass just seems to want to leak and not seal esp. after having it for awhile. Not sure how much that unit is but there are a lot of great humidors on the market with some that have blemishes that you can hardly see at all. I bought one for $200 that held 300 cigars and works perfectly and doesn't have a glass top. As far as using silicone to seal it that's the right thing to do but you have to apply it right and ensure it doesn't have a smell to it if you're going to seal it from the inside.
    Cigary:
    Not trying to talk you out of something you seem to have your heart set on but I've never had good luck with any glass top humidor unless you set it up in a 70/70 environment in the first place. Glass just seems to want to leak and not seal esp. after having it for awhile. Not sure how much that unit is but there are a lot of great humidors on the market with some that have blemishes that you can hardly see at all. I bought one for $200 that held 300 cigars and works perfectly and doesn't have a glass top. As far as using silicone to seal it that's the right thing to do but you have to apply it right and ensure it doesn't have a smell to it if you're going to seal it from the inside.
    not at all I am not set in stone in this humi you may laugh for the reason why I want at glass top. I want one to see my Hydrometer without opening the humi up to see it. the one I have now is a three draw 100 ct that BOTL have blown UP, this three draw has a glass top and it is a constant 69-70 top and 65 lower I use beads and bov pack to upkeep and it is in my room where the heater in the over head blows not directly on it but the temp in side is a stead 70 * . So 150 to 200 humi is what I was looking at getting for a cost of under 200$ "Chancellor 300 Count Glass Top Cigar Humidor" is a 300 ct and for under 200 bucks that is the only reason why I am looking at this one. but I am open to all suggestion from my BOTL as right now Irishman may talk me into a cooler but the ole lady is not liking the idea because it would be in my excuse me her room:( so the humi she like the way it looks and I hoping it will keep my stick good.
  • onestrangeoneonestrangeone Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have several glass tops, being able to see the hygrometer without opening is great. I keep mine in a closet in my office so the light is not a factor, I have not had any problems with the seal around the glass nor have I resealed the glass. One of these is at least 17 yrs. old. KL is the only humidification Medium in all my humi's this size. I don't think it matters all that much in a well made humidor if it has a glass top or not, it's just personal preference IMO.
    onestrangeone:
    I have several glass tops, being able to see the hygrometer without opening is great. I keep mine in a closet in my office so the light is not a factor, I have not had any problems with the seal around the glass nor have I resealed the glass. One of these is at least 17 yrs. old. KL is the only humidification Medium in all my humi's this size. I don't think it matters all that much in a well made humidor if it has a glass top or not, it's just personal preference IMO.
    I may have to move mine it's getting colder and the temp in side is getting a little cool
  • letsgowithbobletsgowithbob Posts: 677 ✭✭
    avengethis:
    I would recommend aquarium sealant. There are no dyes or chemicals that could come back at you later. It has to be safe for the fish, so I use this whenever I am using silicone around food or perishables
    letsgowithbob:
    avengethis:
    I would recommend aquarium sealant. There are no dyes or chemicals that could come back at you later. It has to be safe for the fish, so I use this whenever I am using silicone around food or perishables
    ok thank you guys
    a very good BOTL told me too that once I get my new humi I can keep my darker wraps separated. I did not know that was something to even do lol Learning everyday who knows I might even grow up to be a Jd50ae or Bob Luken :)
  • jaycee2jaycee2 Posts: 1
    I've owned this humidor for at least 5 years and not had any issues with it.  It seasoned up fine and have reseasoned it several times since.   I didn't know how to season the first time so I did it a few months later.  I ran across a similar version of the Catfish string and used that for the last few years.  Basically it's the same thing but I can't wait that long so keep it at 6 days tops.   I throw in 4 72% Boveda's and it keeps for 90 plus days perfect.  I've never had any issues with glass leakage, etc. I don't seal them other than how it came to me originally.  I think I bought this for roughly $175.  I see it is up to about $195 to $250 depending on where you go.   I keep about 180 cigars in it at most times.  Awesome humidor.