Home General Discussion

Using 73 and 65 boveda packs in same humidor

MorganGeoMorganGeo Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭✭✭
I've been using both a 73 and 65 boveda packs in one of my humidors for the past two weeks. I've been getting readings bouncing between 68 and 70 consistently. So my theory is this. Will I ever have to worry about humidification again? It's still a little early to tell for sure but wouldn't the packs consistently humidify each other? Taking and giving between each other. I'm guessing as long as the packs stay plump I'll be good to go for a long time. Anyone tried this?

Comments

• RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    Wonder if that would wear them out quicker.
  • Big''nBall''nBig''nBall''n Posts: 767 ✭✭✭✭
    Interesting looking forward to your long term findings.
    The Names Ball'n.... Big'nBall'n! 
  • rsherman24rsherman24 Posts: 6,736 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Or you could just put a 68 in
  • MorganGeoMorganGeo Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭✭✭
    rsherman24:
    i know. But my thoughts are to see if neither ever dry out.
  • rsherman24rsherman24 Posts: 6,736 ✭✭✭✭✭
    MorganGeo:
    rsherman24:

Just messin with ya. Had me thinking for a while. Will be interesting to see
  • 90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    rsherman24:
    MorganGeo:
    rsherman24:

Just messin with ya. Had me thinking for a while. Will be interesting to see
    In a perfect lab environment maybe but in the real world with so many outside variables including absorption rates of the cedar, the wood, slight bleed off from opening and closing etc I don't see that happening. It may make it so that you don't have to replace them as often but like I said I just don't think it would self replenish over and over. Hope it works out for you regardless though and that I'm wrong!
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • EchambersEchambers Posts: 4,178 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Morgan! Dude!!!! Don't do it. This is the cigar equivalent of dividing by zero!
    -- "There's something that doesn't make sense. Let's go poke it with a stick."
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    MorganGeo:
    I've been using both a 73 and 65 boveda packs in one of my humidors for the past two weeks. I've been getting readings bouncing between 68 and 70 consistently. So my theory is this. Will I ever have to worry about humidification again? It's still a little early to tell for sure but wouldn't the packs consistently humidify each other? Taking and giving between each other. I'm guessing as long as the packs stay plump I'll be good to go for a long time. Anyone tried this?
    Dayummmm! You just made me do some thinkin'.......... Please stop.

(I actually have used this method to achieve an RH compromise in small humis. But, I never thought about it much beyond the RH I was getting.)
  • MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
    IF boveda are truly only single use/good for their factory charge, this could shorten their life as they "give and take," fighting against each other.

OTOH, I've recharged my bovedas and they work, so, who knows? I've done this with a couple and they didn't last much longer than normal.
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
  • SasquatchSasquatch Posts: 307 ✭✭✭
    You are a rebel!!! That's akin to spittin' in the wind or tugging on Superman's cape :)
  • 90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sasquatch:
    You are a rebel!!! That's akin to spittin' in the wind or tugging on Superman's cape :)
    Or trying to tell your wife she is wrong. Doesn't work ;) LMAO
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
    ::facepalm::

Ok, I get where you're coming from. But remember the point of humidification is to humidify something, i.e. the cigars and the wood in the box (not our goal, but still necessary to maintain rh). So the moisture has to go somewhere besides back and forth and will run out. And as people have said, we don't know what limits these things, and if it's actively humidifying, this might make them go kaput sooner because they will be more active for sure.

In the end, think about it this way. If they lasted forever, no moisture would ever have entered a cigar and then you didn't need them in there at all.
    ^Troll: DO NOT FEED.
  • MorganGeoMorganGeo Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ken Light:
    ::facepalm::

Ok, I get where you're coming from. But remember the point of humidification is to humidify something, i.e. the cigars and the wood in the box (not our goal, but still necessary to maintain rh). So the moisture has to go somewhere besides back and forth and will run out. And as people have said, we don't know what limits these things, and if it's actively humidifying, this might make them go kaput sooner because they will be more active for sure.

In the end, think about it this way. If they lasted forever, no moisture would ever have entered a cigar and then you didn't need them in there at all.
    this makes the most sense to me. I knew my goofy theory was too good to be true. Hahaha.
  • ChemnitzChemnitz Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭
    The boveda packs in my cedar humidors dry out at least twice as fast as the boveda packs in my coolidor. I believe this is because the coolidor is plastic and seals really nice. Not as much moisture escapes. Whereas the wood humidors must be constantly losing humidity and and as a result suck the boveda packs dry. So I think both of your boveda packs will be constantly drying, regardless of whether they are 73 or 65.
    BTW, this is one of the reasons I'm very glad I set up the coolidor.
  • jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    73 + 65 = 138
    138 / 2 = 69
    why not just get 69% boveda packs?

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Chemnitz:
    The boveda packs in my cedar humidors dry out at least twice as fast as the boveda packs in my coolidor. I believe this is because the coolidor is plastic and seals really nice. Not as much moisture escapes. Whereas the wood humidors must be constantly losing humidity and and as a result suck the boveda packs dry. So I think both of your boveda packs will be constantly drying, regardless of whether they are 73 or 65.
    BTW, this is one of the reasons I'm very glad I set up the coolidor.
    This also makes much big good thinking. If you try this in a cooler or tupperware you'd get more transfer between the two but in a wood humi They'd both disperse moisture to a much greater degree and be used up quicker.