Home Cigar 101

is this mold or something else?

Please help!! Bought this off eBay and I need to know if this is something I should be worried about?

Comments

• Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Those do look like spots where water came in contact with wood. It is hard to tell if it is mold or a discoloration. The humidor may very well be salvageable. Some guys say a little vinegar or rubbing alcohol to clean up the spots. I would try that, season the humidor, and make sure nothing starts growing again.

Also, welcome to the forum. Hopefully you'll get it running and have no problems! Just be a little careful and I think youll be ok.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • @gray4lines I was thinking something similar but wanted to get some fresh set of eyes to give their opinion as well. Thank you v very much sir!! Keep it smokey!!
  • First_WarriorFirst_Warrior Posts: 3,140 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can also get it dry and LIGHTLY scuff sand it with 220 (fine) sandpaper. Wipe up the dust.
    First Warrior:
    You can also get it dry and LIGHTLY scuff sand it with 220 (fine) sandpaper. Wipe up the dust.
    This sounds like a good idea too
  • I did as mentioned by gray4lines and after lighty scuffing away it seems that the discoloration comes from where a baby nails were made to hold the cedar liner that further seals the box to the lid.. I hope that is an accurate assessment by me.. Thanks guys
  • bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    If that discoloration is centered around a small nail (probably a brad or pin) then I wouldn't worry about it. That discoloration is not the same as mold which will affect your cigars.
    bigharpoon:
    If that discoloration is centered around a small nail (probably a brad or pin) then I wouldn't worry about it. That discoloration is not the same as mold which will affect your cigars.
    Yeah, if it's clear that some little cheap nail or something is the issue, I'd probably not worry about it. Sounds like good news!
  • Thank you guys for all the helps and tips. Its much appreciated!
    Hope everyone is having a good smoke today
  • D_FreshD_Fresh Posts: 610 ✭✭✭
    edone_sf:
    Thank you guys for all the helps and tips. Its much appreciated! Hope everyone is having a good smoke today
    Well done all you cigar idiots! ;)
    Show us pictures when it's full of cigars!