Home Cigar 101

New Humi, New User, HELL, just a noobie

SM0K3YSM0K3Y Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭
K gents heres the lowdown. Wifey got me a 50 count humi for xmas, I googled and read till my eyes bled, wiped and seasoned, got it to what I thought was good (68?) My question is this!! An analog guage came with the humi and the B&M told her to get me a digi too, so I salt seasoned the guages in tupperware and they came out just like teh internetz told me BUT, when in the humi (the analog is in the lid, the digi is in the bottom sitting on my stogies) they give off TWO DIFFEREENT NUMBERS!! This is driving me dang crazy, multiple good smokes outta the humi so far, the anny tells me 70, the digi tells me way lower (like 62) I've even re-salted the digi during my first week of OMG my stupid a is goipng to ruin high quilty smokes. More info 50 count Mahogany humi, usign Boveda packs for juice, and the standard digi humi you see on the websites (little black round guy) I'm at work so I'll update with exact science stuff once I'm cribside Many thanks in advance and this site ROCKS

Comments

• avengethisavengethis Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Which Boveda's are you running?
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

"I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke ever last one of 'em." - Ron White
  • SM0K3YSM0K3Y Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭
    I think I got 72s in there, were having a work emergancy so im having to stay late, once im home i can update with info
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome to the forum. I would put the digital in a ziploc bag with your boveda overnight. If it reads a few points off from what your Boveda is rated for make a note of that and sub or add the difference to get your actual reading. Ignore the analog. You probably need to re- season your humidor. Use the no wipe method. Shallow bowl, dish or rubbermaid container with a shallow layer of Distilled water. This will take a while. You can keep your cigars in a ziploc bag with your bovedas while you re-season. Read the whole thread by Catfish "how to season". You don't have to use KL but the thread covers the no wipe method.
    K, Im back with deets! I have a 70 and 72 BOV packs in there (B&M didnt have matching when the wife bought the humi), my anny read 69 and the digi read 65 this morning, I check it at least once a day. Thats a good call Luken didnt think to just set the digi with a BOV pack, also I only have around 18 sticks in there (for now, more are shipping) and two ancient most likely fake Cohibas from the sister in law, but they are so old and dry its rediculous. I seasoned for two days, with a few wipe rounds on the first day, I was wondering about re-seasoning the humi, and can make that happen if need be. I dont know why but kinda I like the old school hydrogonometer (spelled wrong I know), but EVERYONE swears by the digis. Thank you Luken and Avenge for the help!
  • RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    Texas huh? Let's meet up, herf and talk about your humi :)
    People always seem to have trouble with small desktop humidors in the winter because the relative humidity inside our homes usually falls way below normal and these small humidors are sucked dry from the outside. Before you re-season. Check the seals. There's no point in continuing if the seals are drafty. Read this thread ---> "dollar bill test"
    Also, If you have a room humidifier you could run that in the room where the humidor is. That might help too. Good luck. Keep us posted.
    Havent done the dollar test, its a good humi from a good B&M (gotta love a wife who listens) BUT We do keep our place hovering around 65 year round and its winter,our place is always freezing and dry. Im going to do the dollar test tonight, I've done the lid drop and it doesnt slam. In your opinion whats the ideal humidty? I've always thought I wanted mine higher, not a fan of super dry, but I smoked a LFDomincana and actually had the "this cigar wont smoke" moment the other night, not sure if it was over humi-ed, or if thats just how LFDs are...all the other smokes I've pulled out have been fine though. Granted most have only rested for a week or two at most, the LFD was only in there two days before I killed it
    Rain:
    Absolutely! You in the DFW area? My current fave B&M is Michaels of Euless, small, low key, great humidor and hot girls with beer!
    SM0K3Y:
    Rain:
    Absolutely! You in the DFW area? My current fave B&M is Michaels of Euless, small, low key, great humidor and hot girls with beer!
    Fort Hood, but not too far if I head up early, grab lunch and herf. We have a few Texas guys on the boards, one at Hood, two in Austin and FireRob is DFW IIRC. Those are the closet ones anyways, Stubble and Walt are wayyyy out there.
    Rain:
    SM0K3Y:
    Rain:
    Fort Hood, but not too far if I head up early, grab lunch and herf. We have a few Texas guys on the boards, one at Hood, two in Austin and FireRob is DFW IIRC. Those are the closet ones anyways, Stubble and Walt are wayyyy out there.
    Man, holler at me next time you're hittin the metroplex, I got nobody to smoke with at all LOL
    Fo sho. Jadelt is in DFW for 6 months out of the year, we'd sometimes hit up Waco and smoke in a pool hall there.
    Rain:
    Fo sho. Jadelt is in DFW for 6 months out of the year, we'd sometimes hit up Waco and smoke in a pool hall there.
    Sweet! I'd love to meet some new folks , blaze one up and drink a few
    SM0K3Y:
    Havent done the dollar test, its a good humi from a good B&M (gotta love a wife who listens) BUT We do keep our place hovering around 65 year round and its winter,our place is always freezing and dry. Im going to do the dollar test tonight, I've done the lid drop and it doesn't slam. In your opinion whats the ideal humidty? I've always thought I wanted mine higher, not a fan of super dry, but I smoked a LFDomincana and actually had the "this cigar wont smoke" moment the other night, not sure if it was over humi-ed, or if thats just how LFDs are...all the other smokes I've pulled out have been fine though. Granted most have only rested for a week or two at most, the LFD was only in there two days before I killed it
    I've also had cigars that wouldn't hardly burn. IMO if the tobacco blend is more oily than most they will act like that. You can try "dry boxing" certain sticks a few days before you smoke them if the particular blend is always having that same problem. Another thing to try to check your seals is the flashlight test. Get a bright little flashlight in there. close the lid, turn out the lights in the room, And, see if any light comes through anywhere. My guess is that you still need to re-season slowly with the no-wipe method. My RH preference is 65ish. Anywhere between 63 and 70 and I'm content.
    Bob Luken:
    SM0K3Y:
    Havent done the dollar test, its a good humi from a good B&M (gotta love a wife who listens) BUT We do keep our place hovering around 65 year round and its winter,our place is always freezing and dry. Im going to do the dollar test tonight, I've done the lid drop and it doesn't slam. In your opinion whats the ideal humidty? I've always thought I wanted mine higher, not a fan of super dry, but I smoked a LFDomincana and actually had the "this cigar wont smoke" moment the other night, not sure if it was over humi-ed, or if thats just how LFDs are...all the other smokes I've pulled out have been fine though. Granted most have only rested for a week or two at most, the LFD was only in there two days before I killed it
    I've also had cigars that wouldn't hardly burn. IMO if the tobacco blend is more oily than most they will act like that. You can try "dry boxing" certain sticks a few days before you smoke them if the particular blend is always having that same problem. Another thing to try to check your seals is the flashlight test. Get a bright little flashlight in there. close the lid, turn out the lights in the room, And, see if any light comes through anywhere. My guess is that you still need to re-season slowly with the no-wipe method. My RH preference is 65ish. Anywhere between 63 and 70 and I'm content.
    Good to know, thank you
  • HaysHays Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭
    In regards to the Texas herf here, you guys are missing a couple of really cool dudes. No idea if they're still on the forums, but Tony (Alienmisprint) and Jason (can't remember his username) are in TX; really cool dudes. Maybe they'll pop on here and see this..
    ¨The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the sea¨ - Isak Dinesen

¨Only two people walk around in this world beardless - boys and women - and I am neither one.¨
    Hays:
    In regards to the Texas herf here, you guys are missing a couple of really cool dudes. No idea if they're still on the forums, but Tony (Alienmisprint) and Jason (can't remember his username) are in TX; really cool dudes. Maybe they'll pop on here and see this..
    What the heck is a herf?
  • onestrangeoneonestrangeone Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
    SM0K3Y:
    Hays:
    What the heck is a herf?

An opportunity for a group of professional bullsh!ters to get together and smoke. You should join us next time!
    Tony does join our little gatherings most of the time. I know there are a few others scattered around the state as well, Corpus, the Houston area, East Tx. The thing is Texas is a BIG state, I can drive 6hrs. in any direction at 80-85 mph. and still be in TX.
    onestrangeone:
    SM0K3Y:
    Hays:
    What the heck is a herf?

An opportunity for a group of professional bullsh!ters to get together and smoke. You should join us next time!
    Tony does join our little gatherings most of the time. I know there are a few others scattered around the state as well, Corpus, the Houston area, East Tx. The thing is Texas is a BIG state, I can drive 6hrs. in any direction at 80-85 mph. and still be in TX.
    I wasnt sure, only herf thing I'd seen was the travel herf. I'm in, provided ya'll aint meetin in El Paso or something lol
    Yeah, Tony was the other Hood guy I mentioned. There are a few other OGs , but they don't post much
  • onestrangeoneonestrangeone Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
    SM0K3Y:
    onestrangeone:
    SM0K3Y:
    Hays:
    What the heck is a herf?

I wasnt sure, only herf thing I'd seen was the travel herf. I'm in, provided ya'll aint meetin in El Paso or something lol

Theres a Texas herf thread in GP somewhere. we've been meeting in the Austin area every few months or so, 4 of us here and it's pretty much central. I'm not opposed to a road trip though.
    onestrangeone:
    SM0K3Y:
    onestrangeone:
    SM0K3Y:
    Hays:
    What the heck is a herf?

Theres a Texas herf thread in GP somewhere. we've been meeting in the Austin area every few months or so, 4 of us here and it's pretty much central. I'm not opposed to a road trip though.
    Cool, Austin is awesome
    Bob Luken:
    SM0K3Y:
    Just wanted to say thank you to everyone who commented, after listening to yall I have not looked at the analog once (it looks cool though!) And have noticed the digi stays right around 65, with some minor flucuations. I check once before work and when I get home, so victory for not stressing myself out!! Analog still looks dope so its still in the humi though!