Home Cigar 101

how to handle cigars i ordered online

CrouseferCrousefer Posts: 445 ✭✭
Hey so quick question. This is my first time ordering cigars online, and its been a bit of a hassle. Needless to say because of the holidays and some other issues the cigars have been in the UPS site for about 8 days now and will another day before I receive them. They are a mazo and so just in a platic wrapper. Since they haven't been in a humid climate, how should i go about receiving them. Someone mentioned leaving them in the ups box they came in to stablize for a few days before putting into the humi.

Comments

• jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i always just put them straight into the humi ... let them sit a week or so before you light one up to get the "full experience" as they may have gotten a little dried out during their travels (nothing to worry about they'll recover fine)

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If they had been in a cold environment I might give them some time to warm up to room temps but other than that I'd put them right in the humi.

I know you're new here. I checked your posts and it seems you are apparently new to humidors. This might seem like a strange question but, You have not posted at all about problems with seasoning your humidor, or maintaining proper humidity in your humidor,......why not? Most new guys don't breeze right through setting up their first humidor,....................Wait! You're a magician? Oh. Magic.
  • jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have never worried about shipment. Its out of my hands and I do believe that the packing method is solid. I also believe the cello wrap keeps them in good shape. I have had a damaged shipment (PO fault) and even then the shipper, Ccom, offered to help.

IMHO letting them rest and acclimatize once received is the single most important step to take. I do, a personal thing, smoke one after 24 hours just to make a comparison with one after at least a week. I have been surprised at how good some of them are when received.
  • CrouseferCrousefer Posts: 445 ✭✭
    Alright thanks guys for the help! Iv been slightly worried about the sitting time. Man I wish magic worked to keep these things fresh causeni was recently given a Cuban cohiba that's all dried out!. For my humi ATM I have a 25count desktop that has been holding at around 68%humidity for the last month with selica gels. I recently had it spike down to 58% which I think is actuly a seal problem. Iv read that's a issue with the 25 counts. So I wipped the Spanish ceder down with distilled water and have a sponge sitting on a small dish for about two days now. Gonna give it another day before checking the humidity and tossing in a fresh boveda 68% pack. Also working on starting a smaller 28q coolerdor I just finished washing. Picking up some cigar boxes to put some ceder in the bottom and a boveda pack as well until my cigar shop restocks up on beads. Any advice you guys have tho I will gladly take. I try to read as mucg as I can before doing these things :p measure twice cut once they say!
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like you have things well in hand. You are a quick study :)
    Haha wow wow don't say anything yet. I'm still expecting to walk in and see the whole rig spontaneously catch on fire!
  • HaysHays Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭
    Bob Luken:
    I second this. Sounds like you're off to a good start buddy, and welcome to the place that's gonna take your newfound hobby and turn it into an obsession ;-). Given the transit time involved, I would encourage you to be a bit more conservative than these other suggestions; were it me, I would toss them in the [properly seasoned and stable] humidor for at least 2-3 weeks, just to ensure that they have time to evenly pick up humidity again and stabilize. I know when you have only a 25ct it can be hard to see it full of smokes that you can´t smoke, but then again, sounds like you´re already headed towards cooler status so I´m sure you´ll have others in the meantime. Again, this is a bit more conservative than other recommendations here, but in my experience patience reaps greater rewards than hastiness.
    ¨The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the sea¨ - Isak Dinesen

¨Only two people walk around in this world beardless - boys and women - and I am neither one.¨
  • Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I didn't see it mentioned yet here, but if you order from a good site, like CCOM, then your cigars will usually ship with a humidification pillow in a zip lock-style bag with your cigars in it. Even mazos are shipped in a bag with a humi-pack. I have never ever had a problem with poorly stored, dry, moldy cigars with ccom. However if they are damaged in shipping, cigar.com will take care of you.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
    They ended up in great condition! No mold,cracks, or even the slightist bit dry.They are currently tucked safely away in the coolerdor that's been maintaining a decent 66/71. Ty again for the help guys, and the info.
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hays:
    Bob Luken:
    I second this. Sounds like you're off to a good start buddy, and welcome to the place that's gonna take your newfound hobby and turn it into an obsession ;-). Given the transit time involved, I would encourage you to be a bit more conservative than these other suggestions; were it me, I would toss them in the [properly seasoned and stable] humidor for at least 2-3 weeks, just to ensure that they have time to evenly pick up humidity again and stabilize. I know when you have only a 25ct it can be hard to see it full of smokes that you can´t smoke, but then again, sounds like you´re already headed towards cooler status so I´m sure you´ll have others in the meantime. Again, this is a bit more conservative than other recommendations here, but in my experience patience reaps greater rewards than hastiness.
    I agree with Hays. Like JD, I usually smoke one ROTT, just to see where they are. If at all possible, I try to let them set 2 - 4 weeks in the humidor before smoking. This is why a 100 count humidor is a minimum, because one should never have fewer than 50 cigars.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • HaysHays Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭
    Amos Umwhat:
    one should never have fewer than 50 cigars.
    photo IMAG1735_zps420debc3.jpg
    photo Sad-face1_zps61d46887.jpg
    ¨The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the sea¨ - Isak Dinesen

¨Only two people walk around in this world beardless - boys and women - and I am neither one.¨
  • Bad_MonkeyBad_Monkey Posts: 110
    Hays:
    Amos Umwhat:
    one should never have fewer than 50 cigars.
    photo IMAG1735_zps420debc3.jpg
    photo Sad-face1_zps61d46887.jpg
    That's a pretty bulky herf-a-dor, mein Fruend
  • 90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You may laugh you may think I am joking but I aint, trust me and just get yourself a cooler ;)
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."