Home Cigar 101

Soft cigars

jsnakejsnake Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭✭✭
Today I decided to smoke a mild cigar and picked out one I received from a BOTL a week or 2 ago. First thing I noticed was the stick was soft. I mean really really soft. I like my sticks to have some give and not be as hard as month old dog rockets. This stick was straight squishy and I gave it a full inspection and did not see or smell anything wrong.

So, I light this puppy up and it burns perfectly with a perfect white ash and perfect white smoke. No harsh burn at the nub. No relighting or uneven burn. So I am thinking is this the way my cigars should be? Should they be squishy? This doesn't seem right to me.

Comments

• LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    jsnake:
    Today I decided to smoke a mild cigar and picked out one I received from a BOTL a week or 2 ago. First thing I noticed was the stick was soft. I mean really really soft. I like my sticks to have some give and not be as hard as month old dog rockets. This stick was straight squishy and I gave it a full inspection and did not see or smell anything wrong.

So, I light this puppy up and it burns perfectly with a perfect white ash and perfect white smoke. No harsh burn at the nub. No relighting or uneven burn. So I am thinking is this the way my cigars should be? Should they be squishy? This doesn't seem right to me.
    Was it a Cuba Libre? I have a 5 pack that is super squishy and I won't smoke it yet... but maybe it's supposed to be like this...
  • SlickRSSlickRS Posts: 44
    I don't think they should be that soft. I like my sticks with a little give. If it burned well and you enjoyed it no harm no foul.
  • jsnakejsnake Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It was a 5 Vegas Gold. All of my other cigars seem to only have a slight give like I like. A few are a little soft but this thing was crazy soft. It was a great mild cigar. I enjoyed it.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    the Elcobre had the best razors edge burn i have ever seen and a fantastic taste to it as well..

it was also rock hard. there was no give whatsoever.
  • My last batch of 5 Vegas Golds were a little on the squishy side as well. I didn't really mind it because much like yours they smoked fine and had no ill effects.
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    I have had soft(ish ) cigars, and don't remember disliking them. Was it in cello, or possibly come in contact with your humidification device. Either way, if you liked it than that's good.
  • JaalJaal Posts: 3
    Put some **** in your humidor.  It should help get the stick where  it needs to be. 
  • LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    Jaal:
    Put some **** in your humidor.  It should help get the stick where  it needs to be. 
    4 posts and I already like this guy!!!

(What are your thoughts on Miller Lite?)
  • jsnakejsnake Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jaal:
    Nice! Anyone have some to spare?
  • YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's not that great. I swallowed some Viagara too slow and I got a stiff neck. I got mad and threw it down the toilet and now I can't get the seat down!
  • gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    A buddy of mine with a hairy back took a double dose and saaid he looked like a porcupine for 2 days ...
  • zoom6zoomzoom6zoom Posts: 1,214
    jsnake:
    Jaal:
    Nah. You don't throw gasoline on a fire.
  • clearlysuspectclearlysuspect Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭✭
    zoom6zoom:
    jsnake:
    Jaal:
    Nah. You don't throw gasoline on a fire.
    Whoever started that foolish phrase obviously never threw gasoline on a fire! It's AWESOME!
  • clearlysuspectclearlysuspect Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭✭
    As for the cigar being squishy, I have some Drew Estates La Vieja Habana Gordito Rico (6x60) and I have had similar results with them. All of them feel super soft but they're always a great smoke, great taste, perfect burn. If it aint broke don't fix it.
  • ZAPZAP Posts: 186 ✭✭
    I had a Joya de Nicaragua for the first time recently and it was really soft...I am told that is unusual for that cigar but everything was fine when I smoked it...draw was good..taste was good...scared me a little though before I lit it...

• Hawk55Hawk55 Posts: 846
    They seem to generate more smoke when soft but doesn't affect taste or burn rate...
  • JKTexJKTex Posts: 92
    The only ones I've had that would get too soft have been Conn. wrappers.  I even had a Ghurka, first one to try, that I had to baby the punch as the wrapper and cap were loose from the binder.  They held together and punched fine, and smoked fine, but were loose. 

I wasn't crazy about the cigar either.  I still have a few that have been resting for 6+ months so they may be better, less soft.

I think the perfect cigar will "snap" when you punch it.  It'll give just a tad but hold together solid and punch clean.  I'm only now starting to cut more and I think it's hard to judge when cutting.
  • FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Posts: 2,555
    Every squishy cigar I have had burned horribly. It a watch point for me that I have thought was a over humidified cigar. If its a blending style, Id be interested in who blends this way, so I know its not a problem.