Home Cigar 101

Do cigar beetles live in the wild?

Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
Do cigar beetles live in the wild? Well, of course they do but what about in my neighborhood? I expect a slight chance of beetles to be present inside of our purchased cigars but is there any chance that the little devils would arrive at my doorstep under their own power? I was wondering this as I threw out another nub after my commute from work. I've been tossing a few in a culvert area. (on my property) But wondered, at some point, if the nubs accumulate, would this pile of nubs attract cigar beetles? I realize that wintertime temps would likely keep any existing beetles, eggs and larvae dormant or dead but what about when the weather warms up? Is there any chance that multiple nub disposal outdoors, in one spot, would attract free range cigar beetles? Maybe they don't prefer pre-smoked nubs. So, what if I have a fresh cigar sitting out on the patio for a while, waiting for me to light it up? Would there be even a small chance that that would attract any wild Tobacco beetles?

Comments

• kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    it really all depends on the weather in your area.
    they do tend to be a warmer weather insect. the winters in much of the US are too long and too cold for survival outside of heated buildings.
    however, there are absolutely areas in the US where it never gets cold enough to kill off all of them. the lavel stage is usually the longest lasting stage of the life cycle* and also the least susceptible to cold. the Larve can last several months. the temperature that Larvae become dormant is about 58*F. once you get colder than 40*F for longer periods they larvae start to die off in increasing numbers. once the temp is below freezing for times longer than a week they die in such numbers that colonies of beetles become extremely unlikely.

the beatles dont like it cold:

* though there is some debate that i dont wanna get into right now.
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So, is there a "If you build it, they will come" element to this equation? If I build my own baseball diamond in the middle of a cornfield in the summer, and make old style bases of canvas and stuff them with cigars, will they show up? Beetles, I mean, will cigar beetles show up? Not shoe-less Joe.
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bob Luken:
    So, is there a "If you build it, they will come" element to this equation? If I build my own baseball diamond in the middle of a cornfield in the summer, and make old style bases of canvas and stuff them with cigars, will they show up? Beetles, I mean, will cigar beetles show up? Not shoe-less Joe.
    Not after that week of weather we had a couple weeks back! I don't think they make it at 3 degrees Fahrenheit.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    if you have temps that are lower than 40ish for any length of time over two weeks or so i would say it is highly unlikely. even if you dont have temps that low this year, if it happens more than 50% of the time on any given set of years it is highly unlikely.
  • EchambersEchambers Posts: 4,178 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bob Luken:
    Actually, they live in Ray Rays panties.
    -- "There's something that doesn't make sense. Let's go poke it with a stick."
  • MorganGeoMorganGeo Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Echambers:
    Bob Luken:
    this made me chuckle! Hahaha
  • RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    Echambers:
    Bob Luken:
    TOW nominee
  • EchambersEchambers Posts: 4,178 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rain:
    Echambers:
    Bob Luken:
    TOW nominee
    Funny that you would say that because I almost wrote, Rain's panties.
    -- "There's something that doesn't make sense. Let's go poke it with a stick."
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Echambers:
    Rain:
    Echambers:
    Bob Luken:
    TOW nominee
    Funny that you would say that because I almost wrote, Rain's panties.
    He'd a' skipped the nomination process and handed you the trophy immediately.
  • RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    Probably
  • ejgormanejgorman Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭
    I never thought much about this, but there is a town locally that has a Cigar Days as their city festival. Apparently there are a lot of tobacco growers there. I bet we have cigar beetles, but the cold keeps their population to a minimum.
    East Side 2015
    KLMOW Badge 8/2014
    Team Trident 2014
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've alwa wondered are they the same beetles that you would find in flour or dog food ? I saw a video recently of someone whe had a Reese's cup crawling with the little buggers.