Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Wireless headphones

LiquidChaos66LiquidChaos66 Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭✭
I have an LG flatscreen LCD TV and would love to get a set of wireless headphones for it. Any suggestions? my budget as of now is $50. I have never had wireless headphones for anything. so im a noob on this front and would like peoples thoughts before I get lost online in a world of random peoples reviews.
Life is like a blind fiver. You never know what you're gonna get.

Comments

• Options
    EulogyEulogy Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You may want to wait and save up a little more money. It's hard to get a decent pair of wireless headphones for less than a hundred.
  • Options
    jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i'd say avoid the IR ones as they'll lose connection if you don't have direct line of sight to the transmitter.....

bluetooth or radio frequency is the way to go....

i have an old pair (prob close to 10 yrs old now) of over-ear jvc 900 mhz headphones that still work great. good signal strength and can use rechargeable AA batteries in them. doubt they still make the same pair though. great range too -- i used to wear them and mow the backyard, would sometimes get a little static/interference but had a little dial on the headphones to "tune" the signal and static was easily eliminated. don't know if you can get radio frequency ones anymore, but if so i'd recommend them.

bluetooth has a shorter range than RF afaik but aren't subject to interference like the RF is.

check out monoprice.com for bluetooth sets, much cheaper there than the big "name brands"....i've used multiple monoprice wired headphones before and they've outperformed most of the "name brand" headphones i've had.

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• Options
    webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just this week scored a pair of BackBeat Go 2 bluetooth earbuds from Amazon for sixty. That's not too far over your budget. Darn easy to use, work darn good. Nice sound for the price. Super lightweight. Only down side is it took a whole lot of fiddling to figure out how to lock the darn things into my ears. Up until you figure that out, they sound tinny and distant; but once you do, sound opens way up. Being so light, there's only a 4 1/2 hour battery life while playing music; tho they seem to last about forever just waiting on calls.

I'm sure there's higher quality gear out there. But this is close to your budget.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00LGIVL6C/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Note on range: I have walked all round the office and across the hall, leaving my MotoX phone on my desk, and have yet to exceed the range of these little things. At thirty or forty feet, with two walls between, they still pick up music fine. And these walls have steel studs in them too. No idea whether than results from a powerful signal out of the phone or a good antenna in the earbuds. Range has not been a prob.
    “It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Options
    raisindotraisindot Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭
    I've used dozens of these things over the years. In my experience, the 900MHz version never worked. There was always static and interference on them and no matter which "channel" I pushed they'd never lock in. The older versions, which transmitted on the low VHF range (usually around 42MHz) were far more reliable, even though the sound quality wasn't the best.

You're probably better off avoiding the MHz versions and getting a Bluetooth version. As long as you're in range of the signal (it's generally not better than 10-20 feet) the connection should be strong and stable and should avoid RF interference. And the nice thing about BlueTooth is that you're not stuck with a certain brand of headset--you can use different ones, from earbuds to full head-enclosure kinds. The main thing you have to make sure of is that the transmitter has a direct connection to the audio portion of your TV, cable box or DVD player. I don't think BlueTooth devices an connect to HDMI outputs, so you're kind of stuck using the RCA outputs on your device. A lot of the transmitters only come with 1/8" (standard iPod headphone adaptors) so you might need to get a "Y" connector that feeds the two RCA jacks to a single RCA connector, and then get an RCA to 1/8" female adapter to plug the Bluetooth into. I've used this setup in the past. The sound quality isn't really true stereo, but it's good enough for general listening purposes.

Unfortunately, it's not easy to find a bluetooth transmitter or headphones for $50. However, there are 900MHz transmitter/headphone combinations in that range. I'd research them on Amazon, and make sure you can return them if they don't work right.
  • Options
    LiquidChaos66LiquidChaos66 Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭✭
    Yeah reading through the comments so far I think I might have to hold off for a bit on this. I am finding Bluetooth headphones but nothing I can hook my TV up to properly to transmit the audio. lol Plus looking at the options... I might have to wait till I have a bit more money. Thanks for the input guys! :)
    Life is like a blind fiver. You never know what you're gonna get.
  • Options
    brianetz1brianetz1 Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭
    i just got this pair for my son and they have been pretty much awesome so far just as long as you can do bluetooth:

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=108&cp_id=10823&cs_id=1082708&p_id=11944&seq=1&format=2

out of stock right now, but still awesome.