Home Non Cigar Related

Cigar smoke and it's longterm effects seem be minimual. Good news!

What are the percentages of chances of getting cancer of the mouth from cigars verses the chances of getting cancer of the lungs from cigarettes?
Been wondering on this for a while now.
While I'm asking also include, if you have any relevant information on sinuses, for those who retro hale.
Thanks in advance:
Tim.

Comments

• Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    timtom:
    What are the percentages of chances of getting cancer of the mouth from cigars verses the chances of getting cancer of the lungs from cigarettes? Been wondering on this for a while now. While I'm asking also include, if you have any relevant information on sinuses, for those who retro hale. Thanks in advance: Tim.
    Go look up a Surgeon General's report. Statistics are broken down by type of tobacco and frequency. Usually don't differentiate between inhaling and not as well as previous cigarette smoker or no, which are likely important.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • timtomtimtom Posts: 40
    Gray4lines:
    timtom:
    What are the percentages of chances of getting cancer of the mouth from cigars verses the chances of getting cancer of the lungs from cigarettes?
    Been wondering on this for a while now.
    While I'm asking also include, if you have any relevant information on sinuses, for those who retro hale.
    Thanks in advance:
    Tim.

Go look up a Surgeon General's report. Statistics are broken down by type of tobacco and frequency. Usually don't differentiate between inhaling and not as well as previous cigarette smoker or no, which are likely important.

Good point.
    Whether or not a previous cigarette smoker would completely dismantle the question I had in mind in the first place.
    I am mainly wondering about cigars as I partake of them myself and simply wanted to access my chances of later medical trouble.
    timtom:
    Gray4lines:
    timtom:
    What are the percentages of chances of getting cancer of the mouth from cigars verses the chances of getting cancer of the lungs from cigarettes? Been wondering on this for a while now. While I'm asking also include, if you have any relevant information on sinuses, for those who retro hale. Thanks in advance: Tim.

Good point.
    Whether or not a previous cigarette smoker would completely dismantle the question I had in mind in the first place.
    Iam mainly wondering about cigars as I partake of them myself and simply wanted to access my chances of later medical trouble.
    That's fair. While I'd take the SG reports for what they are, there are certainly risks and rewards to any activity, including cigars. I'm sure any FDA or SG government website would have the latest reports.

Fun fact, one of the early reports (1960's) found that pipe smokers live longer than non smokers on average. Cool.
  • Glock1975Glock1975 Posts: 5,152 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can get cancer from this? Wtf, I'm selling all of them as of now.
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gray4lines:
    Fun fact, one of the early reports (1960's) found that pipe smokers live longer than non smokers on average. Cool.

Here's another coupla fun facts - I worked for Boeing in the mid-60's and they had some really peculiar policies and procedures. One, although unwritten, was that although they'd hire a pipe smoker, they'd rarely ever consider one for promotion to the supervisor level because, to Boeing's way of thinking, a pipe smoker was generally not a dynamic-type person. They were too lethargic and laid-back.

And as for living longer, it didn't apply to my step-dad. He was the type who was constantly fooling with his pipe - packing it, re-packing & tamping it, trying to keep it lit. He was doing just that one day and made a left turn in front of an oncoming truck. RIP, dad..... ??
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    jlmarta:
    Gray4lines:

Here's another coupla fun facts - I worked for Boeing in the mid-60's and they had some really peculiar policies and procedures. One, although unwritten, was that although they'd hire a pipe smoker, they'd rarely ever consider one for promotion to the supervisor level because, to Boeing's way of thinking, a pipe smoker was generally not a dynamic-type person. They were too lethargic and laid-back.

And as for living longer, it didn't apply to my step-dad. He was the type who was constantly fooling with his pipe - packing it, re-packing & tamping it, trying to keep it lit. He was doing just that one day and made a left turn in front of an oncoming truck. RIP, dad..... ??
    Yikes !!
  • Puff_DougiePuff_Dougie Posts: 4,599 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Haven't looked at the CG reports, but I can tell you that there are actuarial studies by very reputable life insurance companies that support the fact that cigar and pipe smoking do not increase the risk of early death nearly to the degree that cigarette smoking does. My company offers non-smoker rates to cigar and pipe smokers, while cigarette smoking automatically dictates a smoker rating and higher premiums.
    "When I have found intense pain relieved, a weary brain soothed, and calm, refreshing sleep obtained by a cigar, I have felt grateful to God, and have blessed His name." - Charles Haddon Spurgeon
  • 90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Puff_Dougie:
    Haven't looked at the CG reports, but I can tell you that there are actuarial studies by very reputable life insurance companies that support the fact that cigar and pipe smoking do not increase the risk of early death nearly to the degree that cigarette smoking does. My company offers non-smoker rates to cigar and pipe smokers, while cigarette smoking automatically dictates a smoker rating and higher premiums.
    Hey Puff how do you spell Surgeon General? I don't think there's a C in it but hey maybe I've been lied to all these years ;) lol sorry bro had to....
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
    Puff_Dougie:
    Nice. Yes many employer sponsored health insurance policies allow for occasional cigars while not charging the smokers premium. That's definitely evidence that they do not see much increase in risk.
    kaspera79:
    jlmarta:
    Gray4lines:

Yikes !!
    No kidding.
  • The3StogiesThe3Stogies Posts: 2,652 ✭✭✭✭
    Common sense tells you anything you put in your lungs can't be good I guess. Also you have the double effect of mouth and lungs when you inhale smoke. My dad used to chew tobacco but had to stop. Doctor's orders, the amount of nicotine he was getting was making him tired and run down. So he went with pipe and cigars.
    I think I have licked, sniffed or had, lots of worse things in my mouth that would cause me harm than a cigar, lol.
    Puff_Dougie:

Good news there, and I believe in taking it where I can find it, in a world of bad things happening to good people.
    The3Stogies:
    Common sense tells you anything you put in your lungs can't be good I guess. Also you have the double effect of mouth and lungs when you inhale smoke. My dad used to chew tobacco but had to stop. Doctor's orders, the amount of nicotine he was getting was making him tired and run down. So he went with pipe and cigars.

I think I have licked, sniffed or had, lots of worse things in my mouth that would cause me harm than a cigar, lol.

I would be careful of insinuating the fact of putting bad things in my mouth.
    Just saying............
    Some bad and corrupted minds could c*m up with all sorts of bad things that have been put into one's mouth.
    Just kidding of course.
    Thanks for the info bro.
    So basically the chances of getting cancer from cigars is relatively small and insignificant as to other forms of tobacco use?
    Am I correct in this assumption Puffman?
    If so then I proclaim here and now to keep firing up until I can distinguish the different taste by pure practice!
    In fact I think I will have one in celebration of your comments now.
    Tim
    Gray4lines:
    kaspera79:
    jlmarta:
    Gray4lines:

Yikes !!

No kidding.

Sorry to have to hear of your lose bro.
  • The3StogiesThe3Stogies Posts: 2,652 ✭✭✭✭
    timtom:
    The3Stogies:

I would be careful of insinuating the fact of putting bad things in my mouth.
    Just saying............
    Some bad and corrupted minds could c*m up with all sorts of bad things that have been put into one's mouth.
    Just kidding of course.
    Thanks for the info bro.
    Lol, yeah I used to eat bugs and stuff for penny candy when I was a kid. Not the slimy ones though, I had limits. Probably better for you than the candy anyways. Then I think of all the the things I've tasted or sniffed to see what they were. Liquids at work and plastic wasn't sure what it was, light it up with a match and take a whiff or pop a pellet in you mouth and bite it. My ex-wife used to feed me some interesting dishes too, good thing I grew up eating bugs.
  • Puff_DougiePuff_Dougie Posts: 4,599 ✭✭✭✭✭
    90+ Irishman:
    Puff_Dougie:
    Hey Puff how do you spell Surgeon General? I don't think there's a C in it but hey maybe I've been lied to all these years ;) lol sorry bro had to....
    Haha! :^)
    "When I have found intense pain relieved, a weary brain soothed, and calm, refreshing sleep obtained by a cigar, I have felt grateful to God, and have blessed His name." - Charles Haddon Spurgeon
  • raisindotraisindot Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭
    timtom:
    So basically the chances of getting cancer from cigars is relatively small and insignificant as to other forms of tobacco use?
    If so then I proclaim here and now to keep firing up until I can distinguish the different taste by pure practice!
    Tim

I think the key here is "relatively small and insignificant compared to other forms of tobacco use." I mean, nothing good from a health point of view can come from allowing smoke of any kind to enter your body, but I would think that the luings are such gentle and delicate organs that cancer is far more likely to occur there than in the places where cigar smoke ventures. Meaning that probably mouth, tongue and throat cancer must be rarer than lung cancer, otherwise we'd be heariing lots of medical noise about it. Considering the huge numbers of baseball players that chewed tobacco over the decades, only a relative few cases or mouth cancer (most notable Kurt Schilling) have surfaced. And you really don't hear many stories of famous cigar smokers dying of mouth or throat cancer--Ulysses S. Grant was probably the most notable victim.

I think that smoking anything is an act of cognitive dissonance. You know that it's not good for you, but your own risk/benefit tolerance determines how often you'll light up and if and when concerns about health issues will convince you to stop. Personally, I'm concerned enough about it that I try to limit the number of cigars I smoke to no more than 2-3 a week.
    raisindot:
    timtom:
    Tim

I think that smoking anything is an act of cognitive dissonance. You know that it's not good for you, but your own risk/benefit tolerance determines how often you'll light up and if and when concerns about health issues will convince you to stop. Personally, I'm concerned enough about it that I try to limit the number of cigars I smoke to no more than 2-3 a week.
    Only cognitive dissonance if you try to tell yourself that it isn't harmful at all. I think of it as weighing costs and benefits. 2-3 a week sounds very reasonable and even from reports I've seen which have some issues. Even daily smokers aren't at a very elevated risk.

Just remember, it's all averages and doesn't necessarily imply much about you. None of these studies I've read include other health and risk factors that might generate some better stats.
  • EchambersEchambers Posts: 4,178 ✭✭✭✭✭
    timtom:
    Tim
    Keep in mind, of course, that we are all doctors here.
    -- "There's something that doesn't make sense. Let's go poke it with a stick."