Home Ratings & Reviews

Nica Libre Contras

MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
In the ever-elusive hunt for value smokes, these intrigue me. Has anyone tried them? At just under $2/cigar I wonder if they're any good. Thoughts?
Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.

Comments

• Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The regular nica libres can be harsh... They are not bad and have a good bitter coffee or espresso taste, but if they are new, they really benefit from some rest. I wouldn't ever go grab a whole bunch. That said, a budget line of an already pretty cheap brand doesn't sound particularly promising.... I may be very wrong though.

So, they do have a different wrapper. I thought they were cheaper versions of the other lines, but that is not the case. However, I don't think the small size would help with the harshness that these often have. They look pretty cool though... like bullets!
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • MarkerMarker Posts: 2,524
    I have had some. They are decent, but not great. A campfire/mowing cigar is all. Nothing you will write home about.
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    Marker:
    I have had some. They are decent, but not great. A campfire/mowing cigar is all. Nothing you will write home about.
    good too know I've been looking for a short drive smoke and this might do...
    Money can't buy taste
  • MarkerMarker Posts: 2,524
    Check PM Lee
  • webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So what was the verdict on these? Anyone try them?

This is the time of year I like to salt away some smokes for Johnny Sotweedseed. Just booked my first camping trip date for May 1st weekend; so Johnny needs to load up. These look like they might fit the bill in terms of small, inexpensive, not too strong, and with an interesting shape. They're on clearance for a mere 25 bucks. Good ammo for the Sotweedseed project or no?

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• mb92755mb92755 Posts: 34
    I don't know what that Sotweedseed thing is but I likes the Contras. They come in a cute little OD green nap sack that my wife likes. It's a small perfecto vitola, fatter foot tapering to the head. They are about a 30 minute smoke for me, med-full body and flavor and plenty of smoke. It tastes like good tobacco to me and that's all I expect. They are a favorite of mine because they are quick, rich and cheap. I'm out at the moment because I like to share with coworkers and family. I'd recommend them to anyone. The only gripe I have is they are sometimes real tight. I've had to pitch a couple because I kept cutting and couldn't get a draw. Can't beat the price. Naysayers be damned. Mike
    mb92755:
    I don't know what that Sotweedseed thing is but I likes the Contras.
    Dayumm! Took me long enough to get an answer on that request! Thanks, Mike.

The Johnny Sotweedseed project is this: Several times each Summer, I take a motorcycle camping trip, usually the Appalachians, chiefly the Blue Ridge Parkway, and wherever I stop to camp, I hand out cigar bomblets round the campfire to cigar newbs. The idea is to spread the joys of stogie sucking, like Johhny Appleseed did with apples; but with sotweed (which is tobacco). Planting the sotweed seed. Six or so cigars in a Pirouline canister with a water pillow, punch, and Bic.

Cheap is good for this project, cause what I hand out might get tossed, and cause I'm apt to hand out thirty or forty on a trip. They also have to be small enough to fit the can. So, my question: Do you think these Contras are suited to a newbie palate?

Right now, I'm collecting Torano Domenica, La Aurora Santiago, Cedar Room. Problem is, they're all good, I'm smoking them up. I'll surely throw in a home rolled Uppowoc Perfecto with an "It's a Scout!" band on it, to celebrate my new Indian Scout (if Polaris can ever get their schidt together and deliver the darn bike). First trip scheduled is first of May to Lake Conesus New York. Next trip scheduled is the Boundary Waters near Ely Minnesota. Can't wait for Spring. You ride 650 scenic miles in a day, you gather at the bonfire, you pass out some stogies and pull out a flask... all ready to swap lies.

Thanks again for the info.

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

I scored two bundles, Mike. You want one? Shoot me your addy.

a most generous offer but I'm good for now. Thanks. I just got some Cohiba Pequenos and AF Exquisitos to try out. The Cohiba so far is not like the full size but is ok. I think the Contras might be for a more experienced pallet. See what you think. Reply with your review. Mike
    Well I tried. Now I'll be stuck with forty of the little buggers.

• MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
    webmost:
    That bad, eh?
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
    Martel:
    webmost:
    That bad, eh?
    Dunno. Haven't got 'em yet. Mostly phishing for newbie nachos, don't ya know. He said he liked 'em; so...

webmost:
    Martel:
    webmost:
    That bad, eh?
    Dunno. Haven't got 'em yet. Mostly phishing for newbie nachos, don't ya know. He said he liked 'em; so...

Yeah, it was the way you said "stuck with" them that made me wonder if there was an evaluative statement in there.

You don't have to give all your cigars away do you? Smoke a bunch, too. I think you'll like them. And I hope I didn't sound ungrateful. It's very hard to let people give me stuff. I've always been taught that it's better to give than receive and there's always somebody worse off than me, no matter how hard up I think I am. And I'm not even Catholic. Mike
    mb92755:
    You don't have to give all your cigars away do you? Smoke a bunch, too. I think you'll like them. And I hope I didn't sound ungrateful. It's very hard to let people give me stuff. I've always been taught that it's better to give than receive and there's always somebody worse off than me, no matter how hard up I think I am. And I'm not even Catholic. Mike
    I can only smoke so many, Mike; while I can easily buy too many. Meanwhile, the mailbox stays busy as the crackhore at the truck stop. Something's always coming. When it comes to cigars, turns out I cannot lose for winning. I have learned not to mail many packages to this group, cause they all have the same dilemma, and they will shoot you back for sure.

But it's true: most fun you can have with a cigar is giving it away. That's the biggest lesson I have learned here on c.com forum.

That's alright. I have a plan and an event in mind.

Them little suckers should be here today. Yeehaw. I'll let you know if they are worthy. Can't wait. Riding the KLR to the post office now. Better bundle up, cause it's eleven degrees out there. Brrrr.

Got em!

Boy, they are tiny smokes, aren't they?

Smell terrific! And I love the ammo pouch with a belt loop, Makes for rapid fire; like a quiver. Gotta spark a couple up.

Cold cold and windy today. You can smell Manitoba. That cold wind hits with a heavy hand. 20mph at 11 degrees blows the motorcycle around like 40mph on a summer day.

webmost:
    Got em!

Boy, they are tiny smokes, aren't they?

Smell terrific! And I love the ammo pouch with a belt loop, Makes for rapid fire; like a quiver. Gotta spark a couple up.

Cold cold and windy today. You can smell Manitoba. That cold wind hits with a heavy hand. 20mph at 11 degrees blows the motorcycle around like 40mph on a summer day.

Can't wait to hear what you think.

Not impressed.

These are simply way too wee tiny midgetary to do the job. For the price, that size is a rip. You wind up with a fair enough flavor -- leather, spice, earth, strength -- just not enough smoke volume to enjoy it. They claim to be 46 gauge; but I doubt they are a ghost over 43. My fave FX Smith claims 48 and is way the heck fatter, putting out grand volume, costing half as much. This felt tight as a ringed nail in white oak. Drew pretty well for how tight it felt. But just didn't put out. With that scant smoke volume, I burnt about half an inch, called up my grandson, and told him I was sending out 39 cigars. He smokes cigarettes; these are about cigarette size; and he likes anything free.

Not for me.

Reached in the coolidor, yanked out a home-rolled "South Bound Cigar" which a forum brother on FairTradeTobacco sent me from Indiana. Far far better experience.

Wasted my money. If you still like them, I'll send you these, and shoot my grandson something else.

So sorry I steered you wrong. I like em. What can I say. Sometimes I have to nip a little more off the head because it's tight. Once I get it I get good draw and plenty of smoke (for me I guess). Mike
    mb92755:
    So sorry I steered you wrong. I like em. What can I say. Sometimes I have to nip a kittle more off the head because it's tight. Once I get it I get good draw and plenty of smoke (for me I guess). Mike
    And I ordered a sampler of FX Smith's Sons to see what they're about. Mike