Home Cigar 101

Calibrating built-in hygrometer

What a great fourm this is!
I've calibrated small hygrometers before (that you place in a humidor) using the salt test, but now I have a larger humidor with a built-in hygrometer (analog) on the front.

Should I try to remove it and bag it with salt/distilled h2o, or is there another way? I've already seasoned the box and it's 1/4 full of hand rolled beauties :)
Thanks

Comments

• peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,315 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You should be able to pry out the analog; it should pop out with some gentle persuasion.  Then you can calibrate it.

You might also consider a small digital hygrometer to leave inside the humidor, and use that in conjunction with the analog unit.

The analog hygrometer that came with my nice wooden humidor, it doesn't seem as reliable, even after calibrating with the salt test.  It makes me wonder if the case of the hygrometer isn't sealed well, like some air from the the room is getting into it; I think the clear crystal may not be sealed against the bezel.

Welcome to the forums too!
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    peter4jc:
    You should be able to pry out the analog; it should pop out with some gentle persuasion.  Then you can calibrate it.

You might also consider a small digital hygrometer to leave inside the humidor, and use that in conjunction with the analog unit.

The analog hygrometer that came with my nice wooden humidor, it doesn't seem as reliable, even after calibrating with the salt test.  It makes me wonder if the case of the hygrometer isn't sealed well, like some air from the the room is getting into it; I think the clear crystal may not be sealed against the bezel.

Welcome to the forums too!
    +1 agree with all this.

the analogues look nice but aren't as reliable as the digitals in my experience.

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• Thanks I'll try prying it out. I bought this humidor because I like the idea of having the hydrometer on the outside (less opening). I didn't realize analog was less reliable. It does have a glass top so I will probably buy a digital and place on the top shelf for viewing.
  • jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    SmokinBanjo:
    Thanks I'll try prying it out. I bought this humidor because I like the idea of having the hydrometer on the outside (less opening). I didn't realize analog was less reliable. It does have a glass top so I will probably buy a digital and place on the top shelf for viewing.
    they do make a "front-mount" digital hygrometer, might be worth your consideration....
    http://www.cigar.com/cigars/viewcigar.asp?prod=M-HYG11

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• The_KidThe_Kid Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭
    Some analogs work well, some don't, Yours might be fine, will have to test, push it out from the back, it should have a rubber gasket around the unit. Yep get a digital and lay it on top.. Also,, there are digitals like the don salvator that are non adjustable,, don't get one of those! Not only are they non adjustable they aren't as accurate. Look for a humicare or similar that has a calibration adjustment. FWIW some analogs are also adjustable, on some there is an adjustment screw on the backside. good luck
  • Thanks to all for suggestions. I ordered a couple digitals from Cigar.com, One for each humidor. I calibrated my analog and digital together and they still don't jive. The digital now reads LL% and I don't trust the analog... BTW I've been on other fourms but can't find how to post on this thread without quoting another poster. What am I missing?? And what are the stars on top? I highlighted one to see what it says and it won't 'turn off'.. Sorry about the off-subject questions. Thanks
  • I guess I figured out the reposting, maybe.
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    SmokinBanjo:
    The digital now reads LL% and I don't trust the analog... Thanks
    LL%? Low battery?
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    SmokinBanjo:
    And what are the stars on top? I highlighted one to see what it says and it won't 'turn off'.. Sorry about the off-subject questions. Thanks
    Ask anything. no problem. The five little stars at the top of the page allow you to "rate" the question/thread. We mostly don't bother with it. sometimes they get clicked by accident. You can't retract your rating once it's given but you can change how many stars you have awarded. At this point you have rated this thread one star. I'll rate five stars on this thread. That'll make the average rating for this thread jump to three. I think.
  • Bob Luken:
    SmokinBanjo:
    The digital now reads LL% and I don't trust the analog... Thanks
    LL%? Low battery?
    I changed the batteries, still say LL% sometimes....Think it stands for low life but I don't take it personal.
  • Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
    Not sure I'd pry it out for fear of disturbing a seal in your humi. Instead, just put one you trust in there next to it and see if they match.
    ^Troll: DO NOT FEED.
  • Ken Light:
    Not sure I'd pry it out for fear of disturbing a seal in your humi. Instead, just put one you trust in there next to it and see if they match.
    Ken Light, I already pushed it out from the inside, didn't take much. I ordered a digital one to replace it. Done deal!! Thanks for the advice.