Home General Discussion
Options

Strong Ammonia Sensed during smoking

Dear all,

I am a newbie, and I smoked a Carlos Torano Noventa 90 last night. During the its 1/3, everything was fine and nice. However, when it came to the 2/3, the body of the cigar reeks of some odor of ammonia, which I have never encountered before on any cigar I had smoked; and the cigar itself started to taste tasteless. Not till the last 1/3, I started to have some tastes back.

I kept my cigars in my humidor well in terms of humidity and temperature. I don't think this was happening due to storage. Can anyone tell me what's actually happening? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Options
    Darktower007Darktower007 Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭✭
    Hello and welcome to the forum! In a nutshell young tobacco that isn't aged properly. I'm no expert, others are in here but it's referred to the sick period in some cigars. Commonly either rolled too wet of not fermented long enough. Dry boxing them will help.
  • Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,016 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome to the ccom forum. I bought a bunch (a few boxes) of Noventas myself a few months ago when I learned they were on closeout. I think I smoked just one since then. It was OK, not harsh, but I think mine will be better with more rest. I had also based my purchase on my good experience smoking one that had been gifted to me by another member of the forum. If I remember correctly, I had held onto that cigar for quite a while before smoking it. I don't have any answers to your question but, I'm interested to hear what others have to say. Maybe I'll dig one out and try one again today.
  • Options
    SM0K3YSM0K3Y Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭
    Welcome to the forum! I smoked one of the those guys two weeks ago, mine only sat for maybe a week, good cigar, but it had a "twang" throughout, Im defering to the veteran BOTLs advice and am trying to give my stogies at least two or more weeks to rest and settle in, it's hard to wait sometimes though!
  • Options
    Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
    It's almost certainly under-fermented tobacco and hopefully it was just one bum stick.
    ^Troll: DO NOT FEED.
  • Options
    CigaryCigary Posts: 630
    AS was pointed out cigars go through a "sick period" and you will note that sour acrid taste....as well as when you light your cigar...the flame will be more pronounced during lighting esp. with a soft flame. There is also a second sick period that cigars can go through but is often missed....usually during the 5 month if you are used to resting that long....most enthusiasts won't notice this because the ammonia has dissipated.
  • Options
    0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm a die hard Torano fan, but the Noventa seems to be one that was sent out a little too early.
    I have a box of them sitting in the humi that I am aging, because they are a little "green".
    Unfortunately, you will on occasion run into this type of thing.
    As the guys stated, aging them will help this type of thing.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,016 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I smoked a robusto on the way to work yesterday. It was good. I think I've had these about three months. But, who knows how long they were in the warehouse. They don't put any date stamps on these boxes.