Home Cigar 101

2 small white dots??

DiamondogDiamondog Posts: 4,169
Can anyone tell me what these small white dots are? They are 2 small white dots on the wrapper, I tried to rub them to see if maybe it was plume but does not wipe away seems like they are actually in the wrapper itself. Hoping its not beetle activity??????????? Humidity is good at 70% temp is usually 70/71 degrees

Comments

• LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    What kind of cigar is it?

I've seen those spots on anything from $2 sticks to Montecristo's... It's just a little water spot, like some spittle or a splash from a drip got on there...

Beetle's wouldn't discolor the wrapper of the cigar like that.

All in all... smokeable and not affected at all
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    ... Don't worry about it, I have had many cigars with the little freckles on them.. I've had white dots, green dots, yellow dots, and darker brown dots. I think they are just a sort of stain from the curing process. Never affected the taste or burn of my cigars noticeably.
  • smbrinksmbrink Posts: 406
    How about you send it to me, I then proceed to smoke it, after that I'll tell you if the cigar was affected by it. Of course if it was one that I've never had before I'll have no basis of comparison, so you'll need to also send me an unblemished stick. All of this for no charge.
  • clearlysuspectclearlysuspect Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭✭
    I hate to tell you this but..... it's the Herp! You should be fine to smoke it. Just make sure the cigar has no open wounds.
  • Rob1110Rob1110 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭
    Lass had it. They're water spots. Harmless. I actually have some GOFs with them that concerned me before I looked it up. It's fairly common.
  • Hawk55Hawk55 Posts: 846
    D Dog, excellent post and very timely. I recently found three to four of these on an Oliva Serie G Cameroon Figurado, scared me to death. I found them while inpecting my sticks after reading an article about beetles. I got a 10x magnifiying glass out to see what I could see,,,not knowing what beetles look like anyway. I finally ended up breaking open the cigar to see what was underneath the spots...Nothing harmful, just leafy veins and more tobacco. So I can only say I hope that is all they are. great post and pic.
  • bbc020bbc020 Posts: 1,422
    for some reason, I see these harmless spots more often on cameroon wrappers. Not sure why, but that's been my experience.
  • Hawk55Hawk55 Posts: 846
    Well if you change your mind and realize that the spots are actually quite harmful, you can send me the GOFs and I will "dispose" of them for you at no charge!!!
  • Matt MarvelMatt Marvel Posts: 930
    Nothing to worry, just a little blemish. If it were beetles, they would be tiny holes, and that would be something to worry about. I always thought the little spots were maybe sun spots or something. I've seen then on more sticks than I can count.
  • nightmaremike31nightmaremike31 Posts: 718 ✭✭✭

I've never seen them in their actual beetle form, but I've seen them in their larva form quite a bit.
  • Garen BGaren B Posts: 977
    For some reason that picture scared me more than any horror film or book out there. I think I might be a little too deep in this hobby...
  • jsnakejsnake Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ok, first thing is quit posting up pics of tobacco beetles! You are freaking me out man ;)

Second, dude I think your cigar has herpes. The only way to cure cigar herpes is to take your collection out of the humi. Put the cigars in a plastic device and wrap with some bubble wrap. Next thing is to check your inbox for my address. Send this hazardous material to my mailbox where I can properly secure and dispose of these items for you.

Do not wait. Tobacco herpes is very infectious and will spread!
  • nightmaremike31nightmaremike31 Posts: 718 ✭✭✭
    Ok, ok, everybody just calm down. This is not a picture from my own collection. Think of it like health class when the teacher shows you pictures of the herps and other STD's...

Well, these are TTD's. That's right... Tobacco Transmitted Diseases.

I apologize for causing any fear and/or nightmares that may occure due to the graphic nature of the photograph. I just want to help increase awareness to this tragic and unfortunate TTD.

Always check your stick regularly for any oddities or blemishes that may be suspicious. And if you're still unsure, send them out to fellow BOTL who will be more than happy to help.
  • jsnakejsnake Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭✭✭
    nightmaremike31:
    Ok, ok, everybody just calm down. This is not a picture from my own collection. Think of it like health class when the teacher shows you pictures of the herps and other STD's...

Well, these are TTD's. That's right... Tobacco Transmitted Diseases.

I apologize for causing any fear and/or nightmares that may occure due to the graphic nature of the photograph. I just want to help increase awareness to this tragic and unfortunate TTD.

Always check your stick regularly for any oddities or blemishes that may be suspicious. And if you're still unsure, send them out to fellow BOTL who will be more than happy to help.
    LMAO, I appreciate your knowledge and your sharing. I just see this pics and the ones from the other thread and it is going to give me nightmares. The pictures just make me cringe and I have to go check my temp and humidity. That other thread actually made me inspect all of my cigars because I had no prior knowledge of tobacco beetles. The amount of education I have received on these forums regarding our shared hobby is priceless. I would have never known about many things here had it not been for fellow BOTL sharing their vast knowledge. ;)
  • clearlysuspectclearlysuspect Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭✭
    I told you it was the Herp! I told you!