Home Ratings & Reviews

Punch Uppercut Toro

webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
I usually smoke my reliable and tasty nine bit Factory Throwout #49 Sungrown most every day. Maybe every third day, I'll try something new from the pile of fine uppowoc which BOTLs have sent me, or pick up some interesting flammable cylinder at the fine B&M nearby. But lately, I've been missing my nine bit dailies. Last bundle of 49s I scored turned out to be something else entirely, made out of unshredded cigarette tobacco, near as I could tell. Packer's error, I'd say. So I stuck them in a bomb I'm sending out to my stepson, who is a lifelong cigarette smoker, cause I think he would like them. This leaves me smoking the upper crust uppowoc daily.

Last night, I stumbled upon an uppercrust uppowoc which is in truth a daily: the Punch Uppercut. It masquerades as a select cigar, with a seven buck price tag, a pair of fancy bands, a fine looking wrapper, and an ample 6 1/2" x 54 gauge size. But in reality, it smokes about as well and as long and almost as flavorful as my nine bit six inch 46 gauge reliable 49. With this one exception: I prefer the sungrown.

This stick is big and voluptuous and dark. It reminds me that way of Roshell, a voluptuous black girl I lived with briefly in my yoot. Jesus, what a killer body. Stacked. Quirky girl. No, even more quirky than most. **** as... But I digress. Let's see if a new paragraph would help.

I admired that lower band with the picture of Ometepe mountain. Uppercut had a mild odor, and tasted just about flavorless. Uncapped real messy. Messier even than the nine bit machine rolled throwouts. All jaggeddyass shreds and crap. Picking stuff from my teeth all thru this smoke. Tight draw. No flavor unlit.

I toasted the foot with one match. That didn't completely light it, but I let it burn itself the rest of the way across. Punch yielded remarkably little volume for such a fat stick. Throughout the experience, I had to hit two fairly smokeless puffs each time, then draw hard to get a big mouthful. Tasted like dry sweet wood. Dry wood retro. Mild throught. Consistent. Each time, the ash would mushroom and had to be knocked off at 3/4". I got an hour and a half out of it. My conclusion was, it would be a decent daily, if you like mild dry sweet wood. But way over priced for what it is.

I got no stinkfinger. Had a hearty morning mouth today. No wheeze.

Three stars. At the very outside.

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

Comments

• Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    I have yet to have the upper cut...but IMO punch is another cigar that really shines after at least a year of rest. From my experience rott they are full of spice and some burn issues. But rest really makes them shine! But it's up to you wether or not you want to take the time on a stick you might not even like when all is said and done
    Money can't buy taste
  • fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
    Might have been a bum stick. I had a better experience with it.
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I really liked the couple I've tried. Maybe a bum stick.
  • Lee.mcglynn:
    I have yet to have the upper cut...but IMO punch is another cigar that really shines after at least a year of rest. From my experience rott they are full of spice and some burn issues. But rest really makes them shine! But it's up to you wether or not you want to take the time on a stick you might not even like when all is said and done
    This is my problem with a lot of cigars. I don't keep hundreds of cigars on hand (wish I could), so its hard for me to age cigars. The few that I have aged have greatly benefited from it, but I would like it if all cigars were good ROTT. Another problem I have with aging is that when the cigars are aged and I love them, I am out and have to buy more and let them age a year. Seriously annoying. Oh well, such is life. I guess I either need more patience, cigars, or better planning.
  • fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
    bigjohn125:
    Lee.mcglynn:
    This is my problem with a lot of cigars. I don't keep hundreds of cigars on hand (wish I could), so its hard for me to age cigars. The few that I have aged have greatly benefited from it, but I would like it if all cigars were good ROTT. Another problem I have with aging is that when the cigars are aged and I love them, I am out and have to buy more and let them age a year. Seriously annoying. Oh well, such is life. I guess I either need more patience, cigars, or better planning.

X2
  • jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    bigjohn125:
    .......I guess I either need more.... cigars, ....
    ^^^^That's the answer. That's always the answer. LOL

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• amz1301amz1301 Posts: 1,299
    Had a couple of these lying around from a sampler I got a couple years ago. Smoked one last night, Pretty good. Never smoked one rott so not sure if it was the age or not.
  • SM0K3YSM0K3Y Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭
    I've smoked one PUNCH...it very much lived up to its name :)
  • MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
    amz1301:
    Had a couple of these lying around from a sampler I got a couple years ago. Smoked one last night, Pretty good. Never smoked one rott so not sure if it was the age or not.

Way to necro. Want another review?

http://www.cigar.com/cs/forums/post/641712.aspx
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
  • jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Smoked a lot of Punch when I started out. I don't remember them being so "pugilistic" as the few I have smoked recently. I don't know what changed whether its me or the cigar but I definitely notice a difference.
  • Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
    Punch Uppercut is actually one of my all-time favorites, even though I've only had a couple. I dig the Ometepe though.
    ^Troll: DO NOT FEED.