Home Ratings & Reviews

Hard draw on 5 Vegas Classic 55 box pressed

mmkuchimmkuchi Posts: 157 ✭✭
Just had one, bought from last daily deal, because I just love 5 vegas classic. Last one I had was a churchill, so I didn't have the draw problem. This box pressed one, however, has a very tight draw; don't know if this is a fluke or what. I remember I saw somewhere in the forum that someone ever said box pressed usually has better draw. It's really different here in my case. Anyone encountered the same problem?

Comments

• rsherman24rsherman24 Posts: 6,736 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It happens. These are hard rolled cigars we are smoking, so you get some tight draws once in a while. Have had it happen with corona to churchill and $2 to $30 cigars. Cut it, chew on it, stab it to get it to loosen up.
  • mmkuchimmkuchi Posts: 157 ✭✭
    rsherman24:
    It happens. These are hard rolled cigars we are smoking, so you get some tight draws once in a while. Have had it happen with corona to churchill and $2 to $30 cigars. Cut it, chew on it, stab it to get it to loosen up.
    Sorry, I am a newbie. what does "hard rolled" mean? and also, what do you mean by saying "chew on it and stab it"? Do you literally mean that, or something else?
  • EulogyEulogy Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭✭✭
    mmkuchi:
    rsherman24:
    Sorry, I am a newbie. what does "hard rolled" mean? and also, what do you mean by saying "chew on it and stab it"? Do you literally mean that, or something else?
    I think he meant "hand rolled".
  • wwhwangwwhwang Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭
    mmkuchi:
    rsherman24:
    He means "hand rolled", so while it's not overly common, it happens. What I'd suggest is applying some pressure and rolling the cigar in your fingers. What he means by "stabbing it" is taking a paper clip, undoing it until it's just a length of metal wire, then run in length-wise through the cigar. Sometimes there's knotted tobacco or in the cigar that might plug it. "Stabbing" it would help with that.

If all else fails, chuck the cigar and light a new one.
  • jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ahem......I have smoked a few Cinco Vegas and the Classic is my 2nd favorite of the line. IMHO it probably was a fluke, either too moist or plugged when it was rolled. I have had far fewer problems with Box Pressed then standard, and it goes across all manufacturers. I have found that returning the hard draw to the humidor and letting it sit for a few days or weeks will cure the problem in most cases. Otherwise use a poker. I have found the smaller circumference of a coat hanger works well in most of the cigars that I have had a problem with. Of course a couple have been tossed.
  • EulogyEulogy Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jd50ae:
    Ahem......I have smoked a few Cinco Vegas and the Classic is my 2nd favorite of the line. IMHO it probably was a fluke, either too moist or plugged when it was rolled. I have had far fewer problems with Box Pressed then standard, and it goes across all manufacturers. I have found that returning the hard draw to the humidor and letting it sit for a few days or weeks will cure the problem in most cases. Otherwise use a poker. I have found the smaller circumference of a coat hanger works well in most of the cigars that I have had a problem with. Of course a couple have been tossed.
    You should buy stock in 5 Vega.
    wwhwang:
    mmkuchi:
    rsherman24:
    He means "hand rolled", so while it's not overly common, it happens. What I'd suggest is applying some pressure and rolling the cigar in your fingers. What he means by "stabbing it" is taking a paper clip, undoing it until it's just a length of metal wire, then run in length-wise through the cigar. Sometimes there's knotted tobacco or in the cigar that might plug it. "Stabbing" it would help with that.

If all else fails, chuck the cigar and light a new one.
    So if i am poking it using a paper clip, from which end should i be poking at, foot or head? Poke it before lighting, right? I do come across some cases that hard draw at the beginning then becomes better after 1/3. i don't want to really want to poke it until i am sure it's completely clogged.
  • wwhwangwwhwang Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭
    mmkuchi:
    So if i am poking it using a paper clip, from which end should i be poking at, foot or head? Poke it before lighting, right? I do come across some cases that hard draw at the beginning then becomes better after 1/3. i don't want to really want to poke it until i am sure it's completely clogged.
    I'd suggest poking it through the head. This way, even if it's lit, you're less likely to have burning metal inside your cigar.
    wwhwang:
    mmkuchi:
    I'd suggest poking it through the head. This way, even if it's lit, you're less likely to have burning metal inside your cigar.
    Thanks ****!