Home Ratings & Reviews

Oliva Serie G Cameroon Robusto

Smoke=FireSmoke=Fire Posts: 692 ✭✭✭
All right, in light of my Cameroon craze, I had to try this little beauty sent to me by joz3r in his PiF. The cigar looks like a gem. Normally I am a Toro/Torpedo man, but this stick (3.7 X 48) satisfied regardless of size. You would think that a smaller cigar like this would burn hot, not so. At about the last inch it warmed up, but that is to be expected. Do not be fooled, she produces smoke in great smooth gouts. Tasty? Man, even though it got warm at the end, I nubbed it. :D

It took me one hour to smoke, and I took my time with it because it was so good :D. I think Urbino is on to something with his wrapper/filler ratio ;) I definately like this size better than the Toros I have, even though those are great smokes as well :) There are times when...well, you want a good smoke but don't have 1.5 to 2 hours to dedicate; this jewel fits the bill, and is a happy medium between a small cigar and a fatty :D

RRS = Wow!! I think I just discovered my newest great smoke, and I am going to buy a box of these dandys!

Thank you, joz3r! :D

Comments

• j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Hey Smoke, I didn't send you a Special G, I can tell ya that much. I sent you a robusto actually, 5 x 52 (though its box pressed so it looks smaller). Glad to hear you enjoyed it though, I love the Serie G myself.
  • rdnstnrdnstn Posts: 993 ✭✭
    Wow, now I can't wait to try the one that Smoke sent me. Thanks again Smoke.
  • Smoke=FireSmoke=Fire Posts: 692 ✭✭✭
    j0z3r:
    Hey Smoke, I didn't send you a Special G, I can tell ya that much. I sent you a robusto actually, 5 x 52 (though its box pressed so it looks smaller). Glad to hear you enjoyed it though, I love the Serie G myself.
    No kidding? LOL...it looked so tiny, though it was box pressed! Well, the Robusto was a definate winner than :D now to find a special G at a B&M someday to compare ;)
  • Smoke=FireSmoke=Fire Posts: 692 ✭✭✭
    rdnstn:
    Wow, now I can't wait to try the one that Smoke sent me. Thanks again Smoke.
    Not a problem my man, share the wealth I say :)
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Smoke=Fire:
    j0z3r:
    No kidding? LOL...it looked so tiny, though it was box pressed! Well, the Robusto was a definate winner than :D now to find a special G at a B&M someday to compare ;)
    Its a nice cigar regardless. Its funny you should mention the Special G though, as I had just ordered one of each wrapper this past weekend, I'm anxious to try that stout little guy, I bet it'll be a firecracker.
  • urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    Smoke=Fire:
    I think Urbino is on to something with his wrapper/filler ratio ;)
    Credit where due, I first heard this theory from maddy, though I gather it's been around in the cigar world for a long time. All I did was point out that some shapes that normally don't get much attention -- like lanceros -- offer an excellent opportunity to explore the theory.

As for the Oliva G Cameroon, if the Special G (I always want to add "and Flava Flav" to the end of that) is better than the Churchill . . . good gawd.
  • madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    I have to smoke some Oliva's. I haven't had a single Oliva not a G, O, or V. Sad eh?
    urbino:
    Smoke=Fire:
    I think Urbino is on to something with his wrapper/filler ratio ;)
    Credit where due, I first heard this theory from maddy, though I gather it's been around in the cigar world for a long time. All I did was point out that some shapes that normally don't get much attention -- like lanceros -- offer an excellent opportunity to explore the theory.

As for the Oliva G Cameroon, if the Special G (I always want to add "and Flava Flav" to the end of that) is better than the Churchill . . . good gawd.
    Thanks for the credit but I believe Kuzi was the first to explore this on this forum. I was aware of this theory and had played with it but kuzi explained the whole thing here I believe.

Another tid bit, a lot of blenders smoke a lancero first when blending a cigar to get as much wrapper flavor as possible. Typically that is why lanceros are limited release I've heard them referred to as test cigars or professional cigars. You don't get the full experience of the cigar as much as you get the full experience of the wrapper.
    madurofan:
    I have to smoke some Oliva's. I haven't had a single Oliva not a G, O, or V. Sad eh?
    Indeed. They really are -- in my limited experience -- very fine cigars. I believe this lacuna in your cigar experience can be remedied to a degree via the ongoing pass. I happen to have some G's and O's on hand.
  • Bad AndyBad Andy Posts: 848
    I wonder if we can add 'Flava Flaaaaav' to the RRS.
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    urbino:
    madurofan:
    Indeed. They really are -- in my limited experience -- very fine cigars. I believe this lacuna in your cigar experience can be remedied to a degree via the ongoing pass. I happen to have some G's and O's on hand.
    Hey Urbino Now you go and get all Dickshinairee on us.. lacuna... damn I had to go to the big book on that one.. Thanks for the word of the day..
    urbino:
    madurofan:
    From everything I've heard this is a very bad gap(I knew the definition to the big word, yea me) to have in my experience. You definetly don't have to pass anything to me but I won't turn them down either. :)
    Also guys, I may need to change my name to Sumatra or Cameroon fan. I've found after quite a bit of research the the Sumatra and Cameroon cigars are my favorite wrappers, even more so than maduros. For anyone who isn't aware Cameroon wrappers are Sumatra's grown in the country of Cameroon Africa. I believe my favorite cigar right now is the Sol Cubano Sumatra. If you guys are noticing they are hard to come by its bc they are discontinued and I'm buying every damn one I can get my hands on :)
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    i think this si because you like a more classicly flavored cigar. both of those wrappers are very classic in flavor. they also yield well to blending and complex cigars (more so than maduros do). it makes sence that you would like them.
  • dutyjedutyje Posts: 2,263
    Try the Playboy cigars I talked about in another thread. You won't be disappointed. Ecuadorian Sumatra wrapper, bursting with flavor.
    kuzi16:
    i think this si because you like a more classicly flavored cigar. both of those wrappers are very classic in flavor. they also yield well to blending and complex cigars (more so than maduros do). it makes sence that you would like them.
    I don't know that I like classic flavors, I am not a fan of Davidoff at all, a ton of respect but unfortunately that heavy leather is not my cup of tea and thats about as classic as it gets. I like your points about complexity I think that has a lot to do about it. I think what I like most is that little hint of sweetness on the tip of the tongue while packing quite a bit of spice on the palate. I still love maduros just at the moment liking Sumatras and Cammie's more.
    dutyje:
    Try the Playboy cigars I talked about in another thread. You won't be disappointed. Ecuadorian Sumatra wrapper, bursting with flavor.
    Ineresting thanks. PM me where u picked those up at.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    you can get em at cigar.com
    http://www.cigar.com/cigars/viewcigar.asp?brand=157
    i havent had them but again, they are on my long list of to try.
  • dutyjedutyje Posts: 2,263
    kuzi16:
    you can get em at cigar.com
    http://www.cigar.com/cigars/viewcigar.asp?brand=157
    i havent had them but again, they are on my long list of to try.
    No.. these are not the same. Playboy by Don Diego was their first go around... The new ones are Playboy by Altadis (doesn't Altadis own the Don Diego brand anyway?). They were just released this spring, from what I gather. Anyway, I've never had a Playboy by Don Diego cigar.
    Cool thanks.
    I don't think I've had a Sumatra yet, but I've noticed that my tastes tend to run to Cameroons, too, maddy. And Dominicans. I'll have to check out the Sol Cubano. If I can lay hands on one.
    Hmm maybe this could be our trade for the Rock Hill Farms? unfortunately right now I'd only be willin gto part with one torpedo and one robusto so I might have to throw in a Gurkha Triple Ligero.
    Nah, I don't wanna take one of your favorite smokes when they're being discontinued. If I find one somewhere, I'll try it. If not, well, there are plenty of Cameroons in the sea.
    Urbs I'd be willing to give up one or two to you. Either way they'll be lost in a small series of fires. :) There are plenty of cammies out there, I have noticed though that a lot of cammies and sumatras are limited run, the RP Edge Sumatra is gone too.
    madurofan:
    Urbs I'd be willing to give up one or two to you. Either way they'll be lost in a small series of fires. :) There are plenty of cammies out there, I have noticed though that a lot of cammies and sumatras are limited run, the RP Edge Sumatra is gone too.
    No, no. I insist. I wouldn't be able to enjoy it for thinking about you staring wistfully out at the ocean, pining away for the children you gave up for adoption.
    urbino:
    madurofan:
    No, no. I insist. I wouldn't be able to enjoy it for thinking about you staring wistfully out at the ocean, pining away for the children you gave up for adoption.
    LMAO. Well I'll have to go through my inventory and I'll send you what I have that I'm willing to part with.
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    urbino:
    madurofan:
    Geez urbi do you have to be so dramatic. Send pictures and tell him of some story of a fictitious better life in the land of the delta blues.. Now Maddy can't enjoy them thinking of the joy he could be sending to another person in need.. Perfect solution, send them to ME !! I will have no regrets.
    kaspera79:
    urbino:
    madurofan:
    Geez urbi do you have to be so dramatic. Send pictures and tell him of some story of a fictitious better life in the land of the delta blues.. Now Maddy can't enjoy them thinking of the joy he could be sending to another person in need.. Perfect solution, send them to ME !! I will have no regrets.
    Heartless *** ...