Home Non Cigar Related

Anybody else like cleaning/polishing their dress shoes?

avengethisavengethis Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭✭✭
I have found that I enjoy taking the time to clean/condition/polish my nice dress shoes. Anybody else spend the time to take care of their shoes? If so what are you using and what is your process?

I like to pour a nice glass of bourbon, turn on some jazz/blues and spend an hour or so getting my shoes looking presentable again.
Team O'Donnell FTW!

"I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke ever last one of 'em." - Ron White

Comments

• blutattooblutattoo Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭
    I'd like to support your relaxation by sending you some of mine. I wonder how many shoes and a bottle of bourbon I can fit in a flat rate.
  • PatrickbrickPatrickbrick Posts: 7,722 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wore dress shoes to work every day for years and would shine them once a week on my day off. I would put on the NHL network and go to work on them. I would start by thoroughly buffing off the shining agent I use then the polish then buff then the shine. Took pride in my footwear.
    "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.
  • RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    No.
  • jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ...um...dress shoes...?
  • avengethisavengethis Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭✭✭
    blutattoo:
    I'd like to support your relaxation by sending you some of mine. I wonder how many shoes and a bottle of bourbon I can fit in a flat rate.
    You might not get them back :)
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

"I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke ever last one of 'em." - Ron White
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I realize there can be therapeutic tendencies involved but, when I do any dress shoe maintenance I tend to recall I was under a lot of pressure as a maggot at Paris Island to get mine in shape for Staff Seargent Robinson, SSgt Hunt, Sgt Hardy and Sgt Justice. I don't often spend time doing it these days. Maybe if I didn't have satellite TV,.......hmmmmm. Maybe.
  • HaysHays Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭
    Been a while since I´ve worn dress shoes very often, but I´m real fond of my leather boots. I have a small kit bag with a can of polish, application sponges, a buffing rag, a polish buffer, and even a little spritzer to get the great shine out of ´em. It´s gone around the world with me, and a good shine´s never let me down - I love how I can get my boots all muddy in the snow and whatnot one night, clean em up in front of a fire, and wear em out to the bar.
    ¨The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the sea¨ - Isak Dinesen

¨Only two people walk around in this world beardless - boys and women - and I am neither one.¨
  • First_WarriorFirst_Warrior Posts: 3,140 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bob Luken:
    I realize there can be therapeutic tendencies involved but, when I do any dress shoe maintenance I tend to recall I was under a lot of pressure as a maggot at Paris Island to get mine in shape for Staff Seargent Robinson, SSgt Hunt, Sgt Hardy and Sgt Justice. I don't often spend time doing it these days. Maybe if I didn't have satellite TV,.......hmmmmm. Maybe.
    I too have fond recollections of spit shining everything except tennis shoes at Parris Island. These days it's boots, hikeing shoes or sandels. I don't think I own a pair of dress shoes. i do use shoe polish (wax) as a finish on some of my work.
  • Edna20Edna20 Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Man, brings back some memories. When I was a little girl my dad used to sucker me into doing his. Maybe I liked it, I think I liked seeing them go from scuffed up to looking like new!
    Team O'Donnell FTW!
  • The3StogiesThe3Stogies Posts: 2,652 ✭✭✭✭
    jd50ae:
    ...um...dress shoes...?

My dress shoes are my newest sneakers.
  • CrouseferCrousefer Posts: 445 ✭✭
    Sexy shoe pics? Iv been considering picking up some buffer for my boots and for a pair of dress shoes. But man sometimes or well times I'm pretty lazy.
    avengethis:
    blutattoo:
    What size ya wear bro? I got straight hobbit feet.
    blutattoo:
    avengethis:
    blutattoo:
    Around a 12. Sometimes it's an 11.5 but my newest pair was a 13 but that is rare that it is bigger.
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

avengethis:
    blutattoo:
    avengethis:
    blutattoo:
    Around a 12. Sometimes it's an 11.5 but my newest pair was a 13 but that is rare that it is bigger.
    Jesus man 13?! Those aren't shoes they're skis.
    blutattoo:
    avengethis:
    blutattoo:
    avengethis:
    blutattoo:
    Like I said, normally not that but these ones I just had to have and they fit kind of weird. Normally 11.5-12 though.
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

• EulogyEulogy Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭✭✭
    avengethis:
    blutattoo:
    avengethis:
    blutattoo:
    avengethis:
    blutattoo:
    Like I said, normally not that but these ones I just had to have and they fit kind of weird. Normally 11.5-12 though.
    Hobbits have giant feet. 13 EE over here.