Home General Discussion

Cooling for a custom built humidor?

I will soon be embarking on building a cabinet (med size) humidor because A) I want one and B) I want to build it as a hobby project.

My question is on cooling. I can't find any purpose built cooling systems out there. I just need to knock a few degrees off to keep it cool in the TX summer. I know converting wine coolers is popular.

Has anyone explored buying a wine cooler and ripping the cooling system out of it? Seems like I may not have many routes other than to try this.

Any insight?

Comments

• avengethisavengethis Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do you have A/C in your house? What about a darker/cooler area in the house?
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

"I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke ever last one of 'em." - Ron White
  • prosspross Posts: 874 ✭✭✭
    Look up thermoelectric modules. They use them in those coolers that heat and cool. May just work g

• ChemnitzChemnitz Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭
    I live in Texas and have considered the need for cooling stored cigars, myself. I settled on a coolador and keep it in a room that has ceramic tile, on the floor, out of any sunlight. The temp inside the coolador is always 1 or 2 degrees cooler than the house temp on the thermostat. So if the house is at 74º, the coolador is probably at 72º. Another benefit is that the coolador keeps relative humidity better and longer than a wooden humidor, at least, better than my 3 cedar humidors.

Sorry, I know this reply doesn't address your specific question on converting a wine cooler system for a humidor, but maybe it might help as a temporary solution while you build your project. Good luck!
  • deejmemixxdeejmemixx Posts: 3,084 ✭✭
    not sure how this would work with a smaller non walk in, with cooling you still get a build of moisture. could ruin your humi. I would make a wineador and get some decorative wood to place around it..make it look like a wooden humidor. I have thought about doing this with my wineador.
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just finished repairing a wine cooler where the thermoelectric module had burned out due to improper ventilation. A good source for parts and component sets is eBay. Here are a few eBay items for you to look into:

Edit: I learned a few things along the way on this project. I may be able to answer a question or two or give you some handy tips if you need any.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    depending on how you want to do this there may be a few thoughts in THIS THREAD that could help.