Home Non Cigar Related

Eaglet Weekend

webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
These eaglets are due to hatch this weekend:

http://hdontap.com/index.php/video/stream/bald-eagle-live-cam

Momma has been lining the nest with feathers this morning. Looks like Poppa musta brought her a dead bird to pluck for the purpose. I've been following this bald eagle cam. I think I have figured out the orientation and all. Across the road at two oclock from the camera is Codorus Reservoir. McSherrystown is five miles or so at ten oclock. When I motorcycle to FX Smith's Sons, I ride up the other side of that reservoir, then hang a left through Hanover to McSherrystown. Beautiful ride. This pair of eagles no doubt live off the fish in the reservoir. Poppa brings her a fish every once in a while, and spells her when she needs a good fly. Alleghenies are behind the camera. Glen Rock is ten miles to the right.

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

Comments

• MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
    That's my new neck of the woods. Seeing lots of bald eagle posts on Facebook, and I can't wait to disc golf at Codorus. Two weeks or so and I'm there.
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
  • webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yer kiddin me. Wellhell. Next time I roll that way we'll hafta herf up.
    “It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    webmost:
    These eaglets are due to hatch this weekend:

http://hdontap.com/index.php/video/stream/bald-eagle-live-cam

Momma has been lining the nest with feathers this morning. Looks like Poppa musta brought her a dead bird to pluck for the purpose. I've been following this bald eagle cam. I think I have figured out the orientation and all. Across the road at two oclock from the camera is Codorus Reservoir. McSherrystown is five miles or so at ten oclock. When I motorcycle to FX Smith's Sons, I ride up the other side of that reservoir, then hang a left through Hanover to McSherrystown. Beautiful ride. This pair of eagles no doubt live off the fish in the reservoir. Poppa brings her a fish every once in a while, and spells her when she needs a good fly. Alleghenies are behind the camera. Glen Rock is ten miles to the right.

Here ya go, Webby. I think I've finally got this crappy HTML shtick figured out:

Click here

• jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Got a split screen set up and will be watching as much as possible. Thought I was looking at a still or slow refresh rate, momma doesn't move much.
  • jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    She just turned the eggs. This is kind of like waiting for the water to boil, but more interesting.
  • ChemnitzChemnitz Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for pointing this out, Davis. Just shared this with my kids - they love it and are glued to their screens!
  • LiquidChaos66LiquidChaos66 Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭✭
    It wont work on my computer here at work. :( I love web cams like this! Its so cool! guess I should be working instead of watching birds. lol ;)
    Life is like a blind fiver. You never know what you're gonna get.
    Just had a changing of the guard. One flew in and the other left for a fly-around....
    jlmarta:
    Just had a changing of the guard. One flew in and the other left for a fly-around....

Keep up the updates!!! I love this! :)
  • CrouseferCrousefer Posts: 445 ✭✭
    This hasn't gone off since I saw this. Im fairly absorbed into it lol. ty for posting this!
    Must be warming up back there. I notice most of the snow is melted off the nest now. Earlier this morning, only the area where the one parent was brooding was melted clear of snow....
    Eggs just got turned again. The parent rotated his/her position 90 degrees CCW. Man, I don't know which is more exciting - this or watching grass grow.... ??
    Another changing of the guard. Eggs are still intact. Not much happening at the moment. Somebody else take over for a while. I've got honey-do's to attend too.... lol
    jlmarta:
    Another changing of the guard. Eggs are still intact. Not much happening at the moment. Somebody else take over for a while. I've got honey-do's to attend too.... lol

HEY WEBMOST!!!! You started this! its your turn! ;)
    Just a whole lot of small twig maintenance today. Trying to fluff up the experience, I spose.

webmost:
    Yer kiddin me. Wellhell. Next time I roll that way we'll hafta herf up.
    sounds good to me.
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
    That tree is really swaying in the breeze this morning. Dizzying to watch.

• First_WarriorFirst_Warrior Posts: 3,140 ✭✭✭✭✭
    glad you posted this. It's way cool. A few years ago me and my other half followed a nesting pair as they raise three eaglets over the summer. The eagles nested on a point out over the water on Lake James. a large impoundment east of Asheviile NC. Lucy and i would paddle our kayaks down the lake to see the eagles every time we put in. One day all five were soaring and diving at each other. Just seeing those magnificent birds help me to understand why Native Folks use their feathers in ceremony..
    Eaglets didn't peck their way out yet. You can see dark spots on the egss, tho, where their little heads and wings are probably crowding the shells. Mom and Pop have made a fluffy nest atop their twig nest. Fingers crossed for a hatch today.

I was unable to sleep last night and tried to watch this around midnight. It didn't work out too well for me. I just missed mom taking over for dad by about five minutes this morning, according to the comments.

• raisindotraisindot Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭
    Wow. When you see them so close you truly realize why they're our national bird. Thank goodness Ben Franklin didn't have his way!
  • raisindotraisindot Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭
    One of the eggs has hatched! Looks like the little guy is doing fine!
    Daddy sitting. Brought a fish for the eaglet to snack on.

webmost:
    Daddy sitting. Brought a fish for the eaglet to snack on.
    I saw the switch and the feeding. It was cool. Both of those birds together make for quite the picture. Then my computer went to the BSOD and I didn't get a screencap.

photo eagles_zpsgqzhpdb1.jpg

Got a shot of the proud parents, but didn't see the eaglets.

Got some more. First is one of the eagles staring straight at the camera.

photo eagle stare_zpsaozgomre.jpg

Then one of the ball of fluff.

photo eaglet_zpsi389wg09.jpg

And then, just a minute later, I was a touch slow getting the shot as one adult launched into the air. Still a pretty cool shot. It was spectacular to watch it fly off live.

photo takeoff_zps67ufkb7f.jpg

The second one hatched this morning.

That is AWESOME!!!! Such beautiful birds and a great cam! :)
    I think my first day off of work after moving will be a trip to Codorus to disc golf and look for eagles.

Check out this flight: https://youtu.be/6g95E4VSfj0