Home Ratings & Reviews

Been out of the mix

Hi folks,

I wanted to toss a question on here because it seems like the best forum for it. I've really kind of been out of the mix for 2 years now, i used to frequent and post on the forums a fair amount, but i know things can definitely change, certain brands can take off, others can start to perhaps "suffer" on their QC measures. Anyways, i'm just looking for some hints on some directions i might look for mid-ranged value (pref under 10 dollars at deal prices) varieties to restock some of my humidor with to start getting an idea of where my palette is at again.

I used to really enjoy monte media noches, undercrowns, the cinco vegas series altogether i generally approved of, though i know they're kind of lacking in complexity, but thats not really a bad thing for the price. Oh, i have a resolution this time around, nothing with the name Gurkha or RP goes in the box (Though i adored the vintage 1992 back when it first made a splash and before rockys blending and quality control went to hell in a handbasket), its just not worth the stress to me of trying to make it work. On the non-maduro side of the spectrum, i enjoy Ashton classics, probably my most favorite connecticut (though i havent had an Oliva CR in a long time), and the VSG of course. I'm not huge into heavy spice in my sticks, so ive never been a big DPG guy. Same with overwhelming flavor, i didnt really hit it off with the Oliva V, and AJs stuff is hit or miss with me. I guess i just dont like getting blasted with heavy ligero. I liked the MOW, but the ruination was a bit much, and the virtue was confounding to me because it seemed to contained a spicy profile dressed up in a light wrapper, which i felt kind of overpowered it and made the experience a wash.

I kind of wanted to offer a roadmap to my perspectives if anyone could offer me any profound words of wisdom, such that i might stock my box up again for the spring season. I did gain some valuable insight from reading some of the reviews. I think i may give the DC Julius Caesars a try.

Cheers!

Comments

• MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
    Can't go wrong with the DCJC!

If you like the Undercrown, try the MUWAT. I've been enjoying the nightcrawler for a reasonable price.

Prices around $10 are going to give plenty of options. Try the San Cristobals. I like the Elegancia as much or more than the Oliva CT Reserve, which is one of my favorites.

Anything by Regius has pleased my palate if you can find them. The White Label was excellent.

I do like the V and the V Melanio, but prefer to have less ligero on most occasions. The Mayimbe from AJ was great, but a little pricey.

AVO

Tat Miami is solid, consistent, and affordable.
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
  • Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
    Check out Ramon Bueso.
    ^Troll: DO NOT FEED.
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ken Light:
    Check out Ramon Bueso.
    +1
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • brianetz1brianetz1 Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭
    If you are looking for things that have come out in the past 2 years here is what i would look at: Crowned Heads 4 Kicks and Headly Grange. The Jericho Hill is a personal favorite of mine but it is a flavo bomb, but not overly heavy or spicy. 1502 Ruby is a really good cigar. Flor De Selva Maduro is one that a lot of boutique guys love. Lastly Caldwell's varsity lines are worth a look. I personally like Long Live the King and Eastern Standard. The King is Dead was not one of my favs, but the other 2.....awesome.
  • deejmemixxdeejmemixx Posts: 3,084 ✭✭
    You were never in me.........
  • MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
    brianetz1:
    If you are looking for things that have come out in the past 2 years here is what i would look at: Crowned Heads 4 Kicks and Headly Grange. The Jericho Hill is a personal favorite of mine but it is a flavo bomb, but not overly heavy or spicy. 1502 Ruby is a really good cigar. Flor De Selva Maduro is one that a lot of boutique guys love. Lastly Caldwell's varsity lines are worth a look. I personally like Long Live the King and Eastern Standard. The King is Dead was not one of my favs, but the other 2.....awesome.
    This, too. Well said.
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.