Home Ratings & Reviews

Merlion

CrouseferCrousefer Posts: 445 ✭✭
What do you guys think? Seen a few in my local B&M and keep glancing at them. The bands pretty but how's the smoke? Worth it straight out the door or best to let it sit for a good while? Thanks ahead of time guys.

Comments

• CrouseferCrousefer Posts: 445 ✭✭

Okay review time! I ended up giving in and picking one up! The Merlion from LA Sirena and is rolled in the La Aurora Factory. image
    So Stats time! Size: 5.5 x 54 Wrapper: Ecuadoran Corojo Binder: Brazilian Sumatra Filler: Brazilian Bahia, Dominican Republic Corojo & Criollo ’98, Nicaraguan Ligero Strength: Medium to full
    Initial look and tasting: this cigar has one of the prettiest bands I have ever seen. It is also in fact a double band that when split it has a smaller just as good looking band beneath. The cold draw was full of tasty chocolate notes and oak. The wrapper left a sweet grassy taste on my lips.
    1/3 the draw is a bit tight for my preference, but still manages to breath nicely. The smoke is creamy and smooth is oak and chocolate undertones with a healthy amount of peppercorn. I pick up a nice sweeter earthy taste that seems to get sweeter the closer I get to the 2/3. I also pick up some very slight nuances of leather. I must say I'm really enjoying the complexity this cigar is initially giving.
    2/3 by this point the pepper has kicked back a bit and the earthyness has started to take over and is starting to remind me of a freshly baked corn tortilla. A taste I absolutely love. The oak is still there along with a slight taste of citrus that seems to be getting stronger the longer this beauty burns.
    3/3 the final third finished off with returning hints of chocolate that were more subtle in the 2/3. The spice has once again has died off and the pepper is all bit gone. I no longer taste the citrus, but the earthy tones still have a sweeter almost floral taste. The cigar has also started to take on a more smokey feel.
    Over all I really enjoyed this stick and am constantly reminded of fresh hand made corn tortillas. The burn was even, never needed to be relit, and held a fairly good ash. Unfortantly it was a windy day outside so I don't have any pictures of the burn. I would have no problem smoking another one of these good looking babies and will problly pick up a few more to enjoy with some age. I hope you guys enjoyed this review and found it helpful.
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cool band. Never heard of them, though. Sounds like a decent smoke.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • avengethisavengethis Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Whats the price tag on them?
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

"I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke ever last one of 'em." - Ron White
    They are about 9 to 10 stick msrp. The toro was 9.50 if I remember correctly and the robusto was 9.10. The torro Gordo was 10.
    I probly wouldn't pick em as every days, but if I saw a 5/10 go on sale or to have a few sitting in my cooler they aren't bad at all.
  • Puff_DougiePuff_Dougie Posts: 4,599 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice review, Scott. Haven't seen these around here, but if I do I'll definitely pick one up. Sounds like a stick I would enjoy.
    "When I have found intense pain relieved, a weary brain soothed, and calm, refreshing sleep obtained by a cigar, I have felt grateful to God, and have blessed His name." - Charles Haddon Spurgeon