Home Non Cigar Related

Whiskey

Its something i wanna get into. Any advice or stuff to know before one gets into it?
Two people with a common goal can accomplish many things. Two people with a common enemy can accomplish even more.

Comments

• The3StogiesThe3Stogies Posts: 2,652 ✭✭✭✭
    Lot's of whiskey enthusiast's here but Brett comes to mind for some reason.
  • D_FreshD_Fresh Posts: 610 ✭✭✭
    ShadowInTheMoon:
    Its something i wanna get into. Any advice or stuff to know before one gets into it?
    The best advice would be to try as much as you can to see what you like. There is lots of different types of whiskey out there whether it's scotch, bourbon, rye, Irish, etc. I'm a bourbon guy so I would recommend starting there. I'd say Eagle Rare or Four Roses would be a good place to start.

Then it depends on how you would like to drink it. I prefer most of mine neat. I would recommend starting there with at least a couple sips. Then play with it how you'd like. Add a few drops of water or try it over ice. Try a Manhattan or Old Fashioned. So many ways to enjoy whiskey!
  • avengethisavengethis Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just bumped the Bourbon and Whiskey thread for you here in the Non Cigar Related. Lots of good reading in there.

If you have a place where you can sample many types of whiskey (whiskey bar, cigar lounge or the likes) I would go there and starting trying different pours. Its hard to tell you where to start as trying to know what is a good taste to you is the same as cigars.
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

"I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke ever last one of 'em." - Ron White
  • roland_7707roland_7707 Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭
    The small bottles at the front of the store first to see what you like.
    One God, One Truth
  • ShadowInTheMoonShadowInTheMoon Posts: 507 ✭✭
    Thanks for the bump ill take a look at that. As for the whiskey bar or cigar lounge (id kill for a lounge) im in the smack dab middle of utah. But ill look around in the thread and see if any catch my eye.
    Two people with a common goal can accomplish many things. Two people with a common enemy can accomplish even more.
  • CrouseferCrousefer Posts: 445 ✭✭
    A lot of local large chain liquor stores have sample days by vendors. I check those out all the time. That's how I got started Then just started reading reviews.
  • 90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The3Stogies:
    Lol thanks George.

Mr. Moon, I would ask a few questions to you first before we should start making suggestions I think. What do you currently drink and enjoy and why? Have you tried any whiskey lately that you can recall and can you tell us what you liked and didn't like about them? There are some outstanding choices out there for whiskey that can be very cheap all things considered. I could provide a list of about a dozen whiskies that I love and are $30 or less a bottle. Which ones I would recommend would depend on what you like when you drink whiskey and how you drink it, on the rocks, neat, mixed etc? Give us a bit more info and we can point you in the right direction without fail ;)
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
    90+ Irishman:
    The3Stogies:
    Lol thanks George.

Mr. Moon, I would ask a few questions to you first before we should start making suggestions I think. What do you currently drink and enjoy and why? Have you tried any whiskey lately that you can recall and can you tell us what you liked and didn't like about them? There are some outstanding choices out there for whiskey that can be very cheap all things considered. I could provide a list of about a dozen whiskies that I love and are $30 or less a bottle. Which ones I would recommend would depend on what you like when you drink whiskey and how you drink it, on the rocks, neat, mixed etc? Give us a bit more info and we can point you in the right direction without fail ;)
    I have tried (in the whiskey catagory) Fireball (more for getting sloshed) Jack daniels, jack daniels honey, and i cant remember the last one i have tried. But i do remember it was gross, red lable-flask looking bottle
    So basically its something i want to get into when im smoking a cigar. When i tried the above stuff i didnt know about the neat or "on the rocks" so it all turned from "you sip whiskey but this stuff is nasty so ill make it into a shot". If i were to choose i would probally do on the rocks
  • Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
    As a Jack Daniel's enthusiast the whisky that got me to expand into bourbons was Blantons. I highly recommend giving it a try. Not cheap, but try it at a bar first rather than investing in a bottle. On the rocks first is fine, you'll get to neat eventually.
    ^Troll: DO NOT FEED.
    I think Ken's suggestion is an outstanding one and if you get a chance do that for sure. As for a couple of good starter choices in the $30 and under price range would be Four Roses Small Batch, Buffalo Trace, Ridgemont Reserve 1792, Larceny or Eagle Rare 10 year single barrel. All of thos can typically be found anywhere for $30 or less and all are very good examples of whiskey that cane easily be drank on the rocks, mixed or neat and won't break the bank, should take care of you me thinks ;)
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • WaltBasilWaltBasil Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭
    Also, the way you drink it greatly affects your experience. The first time I tried some, I'd treat it like a regular drink and take a big mouthful in (don't go there Brett). And I thought it was just nasty. Many years later I graduated from a jack and coke guy to a bourbon guy. Take very small sips. 2 oz of the stuff should last you quite a while. I generally drink 2-3 oz in an hour and a half while I smoke my cigar. Puff. Sip. Enjoy. Repeat. For me, the higher the proof, the less I put in my mouth at once (I hear that Brett). I probably put in half a teaspoon to a teaspoon worth for one drink. Let it roll around your mouth. (Dammit Brett...). "Chew" on it. Lets you taste and enjoy all the nuances of your drink. For high proofs like 120 and up, I take about half that in at once.
  • StubbleStubble Posts: 8,177 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You had me at "The first time"....dang, is it hot in here??
    Hey, you gonna eat the rest of that corndog?
    Some super helpful stuff here. Ill take a look around the store to see if they have any of the stuff you mentioned and get back to ya when i have tried some
  • D_FreshD_Fresh Posts: 610 ✭✭✭
    WaltBasil:
    Take very small sips. 2 oz of the stuff should last you quite a while. I generally drink 2-3 oz in an hour and a half while I smoke my cigar. Puff. Sip. Enjoy. Repeat. For me, the higher the proof, the less I put in my mouth at once (I hear that Brett). I probably put in half a teaspoon to a teaspoon worth for one drink. Let it roll around your mouth. (Dammit Brett...). "Chew" on it. Lets you taste and enjoy all the nuances of your drink. For high proofs like 120 and up, I take about half that in at once.
    Great post. This is exactly how I enjoy my bourbon. It's not about getting drunk, it's about indulging in the things I like and taking my time. In fact I'm chewing on some Stagg Jr right now as I smoke a cigar and life is good!
    WaltBasil:
    Also, the way you drink it greatly affects your experience. The first time I tried some, I'd treat it like a regular drink and take a big mouthful in (don't go there Brett). And I thought it was just nasty. Many years later I graduated from a jack and coke guy to a bourbon guy. Take very small sips. 2 oz of the stuff should last you quite a while. I generally drink 2-3 oz in an hour and a half while I smoke my cigar. Puff. Sip. Enjoy. Repeat. For me, the higher the proof, the less I put in my mouth at once (I hear that Brett). I probably put in half a teaspoon to a teaspoon worth for one drink. Let it roll around your mouth. (Dammit Brett...). "Chew" on it. Lets you taste and enjoy all the nuances of your drink. For high proofs like 120 and up, I take about half that in at once.
    Hi Walt :) Snicker snicker hahahaha